PDA

View Full Version : fuel problem

predator0609
06-21-2010, 06:14 PM
Ok dealer did my valves ran great there got home no good,called they they said might be a fuel problem so i cleaned the carb was preaty nasty got it all back togeather runs bad. Idles really high then dies will run if i feather the gas but wont stay running no matter how much i adjust the idle hard to start but when it does cant get it to idle also gets vary hot quick fan kicks on in about 2 mins im at a loss anyone have this happen to them?

demon rider
06-21-2010, 08:04 PM
Man it's kinda hard to understand whats goin on from how you wrote it out, but you might want to double check these two things. First when they done your valves, did they adjust the valve tappet clearance correctly and the other thing, when you took the carb apart, did you mess up how the jets were set?

predator0609
06-21-2010, 08:12 PM
i put the carb back the same way it came apart im sure of that as far as the valves it ran fine before just alittle noisy i have the old shims might just put them back in in say the hell with it. I should add the the exhaust valves were at .005 and .006 before they got shimed now there around .009 thats what the dealer said

Outlaw6;=-
06-22-2010, 12:59 AM
fan coming on that quick sounds like it might be running to lean..have you checked your plug ?

dcc1089
06-22-2010, 09:40 AM
There is an easy way to see if they may have made a mistake. Pull your intake tube to get access to the filter side of the carb. While cranking, check to see if the carb is spitting out the front. If it is, then either your timing is way off, of they made a different error. Then pull the timing plugs on the left side of the engine and remove your valve cover. Verify that the timing marks are lined up when the engine is at TDC and the cams are properly aligned. No special tools required. Send me a message and I will e-mail you a pic of what the cam alignment should be.

predator0609
06-22-2010, 08:02 PM
The dealership said the carb needed to be rejetted cause it was lean was running fine before the valve job would doing the valves make it run lean?

demon rider
06-24-2010, 09:56 AM
No! The mixture between the fuel and the air is done by the carb before it even makes it to the engine.

katch26
06-24-2010, 02:04 PM
check your carb boots, if its running hot and hard to idle you're lean probably from having an air leak somewhere.

not tappet style they're bucket over shim style. Did the dealer rejet or just say it needed to be rejet?

predator0609
06-24-2010, 03:28 PM
there was a miscomunication between me and the dealer needs head work one valve is to far gone got a extended warrenty hope they cover:)