PDA

View Full Version : Help choosing the right sprocket

Redrubicon2004
06-20-2010, 10:21 PM
I recently got an all stock 2000 400ex. After a couple rides I have to make some changes to it. I have found myself shifting between 1st and 2nd way too much. Also on longer hill climbs 1st is too low to build up momentium and 2nd will loose power at the top.

It has stock exhaust, the air filter is foam (not sure if its stock) These are two things I dont really want to change.

Can't wring out a K&N if it gets wet.

I hate loud exhaust on quads, IMO they just dont sound good and my buddys number one rule for riding on his land is no loud exhaust....it wakes up the neighbors at 1am:)

I am also planning on getting another set of rear tires. Right now it has holeshots. I am planning on getting a set of Mud Sharks since the local ORP's have pretty muddy conditions. I found a couple cheap sets but they are 21"...IMO not a bad idea since slightly more ground clearance wouldnt hurt when it comes to ruts.

So, with the above limitations, it pretty much leaves me one choice. Gearing.

What are your opinions?

CarGuy7a
06-21-2010, 01:32 AM
What I would suggest is to get 2 gears to try.

Get a drive gear that is one tooth smaller than stock. Also pick up a rear gear that is one tooth larger than stock.

Try them one gear at a time to see how you like it. For me the one tooth lower on the drive gear was a little too low, where as the stock drive gear with the one tooth larger gear on the axle was just right.

Oh my razr's are also 20".

sc400ex_rider
06-21-2010, 05:41 AM
get a 14t front sprocket. I got a new one, PM me.