PDA

View Full Version : can you replace the pilot jet without removing plastic, ect?

brian400ex
02-02-2003, 09:27 AM
Can you do it by just taking off the float bowl and nohing else?

lilpoppy
02-02-2003, 09:38 AM
Ya you can do it by just removing the float bowl but it is easiest if you remove the black piece of plastic on the side. Just do it like you would to replace a regular jet but for the pilot you just have to remove that little white piece of plastic next to the regular jet and the pilot is right underneath.

400exredrider
02-02-2003, 11:45 AM
well if you dont want to shove your hand in a small spot and possibly not get your jet tight enough id just take 1 side panel off take the bolts out of the gas tank and undo tank plastic so you can pull the carb off of the boot.....its much easier this way....may take a little work tho:D good luck

NoWingNoPrayer
02-02-2003, 07:34 PM
Do the Job right and rip the carb out! if your gonna do it half ***** like that your prolly gonna have more trouble with space and it will take you longer than it would taking the thing out.

forum
02-03-2003, 11:04 AM
na you don't need to take anything off. Just turn off the gas, loosen the two hose clamps on either side of the carb and spin the carb sideways. then its real easy.

brian400ex
02-03-2003, 11:12 AM
thats sounds like a good idea. Is it had to get to the hose clamps?

forum
02-03-2003, 11:14 AM
well you may need to take off your rear plastic but that takes three seconds. its the front thats a pain.

lil400exman
02-03-2003, 11:20 AM
just get a 250r and dont even think about takin plastic off to work on the carb!!!!!

02-03-2003, 11:26 AM
its the front thats a pain.

Yea removing the 6 10mm bolts and unscrewing the gas cap is way too much work to have complete unobstructed access to the carb :rolleyes:

WTF are you guys thinking?

You dont need to remove the plastic at all if you do it right, yes do it right.

Remove the rear plastic, remove the black rt side panel, loosen all the clamps on the carb boots, remove the rubber tank hold down, turn off the fuel and remove the fuel line.

Now just pull out the carb and carefully slide it to the side being carefull not to damage the throttle cable as it slides under the tank etc. and you will have full access to the carb so you can work on it properly instead of working like a monkey.

Plus this way there is less of a chance for problems due to your getting pissed trying to work in between all the crap in your way.

Fluid400
02-03-2003, 11:44 AM
thats pretty much on the money

forum
02-03-2003, 01:13 PM
yea. I said you don't have to remove the front plastic. so i hope your not talking to me. And when i said its a pain. i din't mean it in general I ment just to change the jetting considering jetting changes are quite frequent. and if your trying to say I do litle work to my wheeler, your dead wrong. I can almost qaurntee i got more personal hours in it then 99% percent of the people that visit this site. I modifued the 400ex frame all myself for the 426 engine. gusetts, frame upright relocation, custom motor,rad,oil cooler mounts. and its all done right, not half as$ed. read before you blab

02-03-2003, 04:27 PM
dude dont take things so personal :p

I was talking in general, and just used your quote for reference to the plastic removal time.

I guess basicaly what I was getting at is the same diff as a Pro and an amature and how the pro make it look easy cause he/she does it right.

lilpoppy
02-03-2003, 07:27 PM
You guys are taking this way too far all he asked was if you can change the pilot by just removing the float bowl and i sad yes just remove the side pannel. He never said anything about the plastic. And yes i have done it a million times the right way by just removing the side pannel and the rear plastic without completely removing the carb.

nakomis0
02-03-2003, 07:43 PM
You guys got it all wrong.

I take the whole motor out, and remove the left rear tire, and BaM!! its right there.:huh

02-03-2003, 08:00 PM
I take the whole motor out, and remove the left rear tire, and BaM!! its right there

Damn and I thought I was sarcastic LMAO

400ex99
02-04-2003, 12:38 AM
Nakomis0 Your the only one i'll let work on my ex:blah

400exredrider
02-09-2003, 01:20 PM
try havin a Predator theres no way in He** you can get the spark plug out with out takin the gas tank......not that has anything to do with a carb but some people are just too da*n lazy theres people like me and tons others that tear the whole ATV down after a few races and clean and redo crap......im goin with Nakomis just take the whole damn motor out :blah

Steve-o 400EX
02-09-2003, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by 440EX4me
Yea removing the 6 10mm bolts and unscrewing the gas cap is way too much work to have complete unobstructed access to the carb :rolleyes:

WTF are you guys thinking?

You dont need to remove the plastic at all if you do it right, yes do it right.

Remove the rear plastic, remove the black rt side panel, loosen all the clamps on the carb boots, remove the rubber tank hold down, turn off the fuel and remove the fuel line.

Now just pull out the carb and carefully slide it to the side being carefull not to damage the throttle cable as it slides under the tank etc. and you will have full access to the carb so you can work on it properly instead of working like a monkey.

Plus this way there is less of a chance for problems due to your getting pissed trying to work in between all the crap in your way.

Yea that sounds right. If ur new to tearing into ur machine i would do it the long way just to get oriented with it. I am glad i did it the long way the first time because i could see what was goin on, but once you know your way around this way is best.