PDA

View Full Version : gun help

dns1764
06-20-2010, 05:46 PM
so i am getting my FID in a week or so, and i need to start looking for my first gun. right now i am leaning towards a shotgun. i will be mostly be hunting duck and turkey and maybe some deer.

what guns should i be looking at?

also i dont want to spend more than $500

06-20-2010, 05:54 PM
BB gun lol

dns1764
06-20-2010, 05:56 PM
sorry i meant $750

BlaineKaiser450
06-20-2010, 06:16 PM
You cannot go wrong with a Remington 870 if you're looking for a shotgun. I have 2, one of which I got for $300 brand new.

CJM
06-20-2010, 06:20 PM
Remington 870 or mossnerg 500 series

98warrior350
06-20-2010, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by BlaineKaiser450
You cannot go wrong with a Remington 870 if you're looking for a shotgun. I have 2, one of which I got for $300 brand new.

x2

steel1
06-20-2010, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Remington 870 or mossnerg 500 series

Yup the 870 is the standard. mossberg also has few goodies

here my Valtro pm5 not so good for duck.......unless they were flying around the inside of an elevator.

CJM
06-20-2010, 09:14 PM
Very nice ^

10rd?

ben300
06-20-2010, 09:17 PM
if your gonna deer hunt with it, then your gonna need a slug barrel, then i would say get a remington 870 combo. you can pick on of those up for around $500

if you were not going to hunt deer with it, i would say dont waster money on an 870, you can buy a remington 11-87 sportsman supermag for roughly $699 at most deeler ships. that will come in mossy oak break up and should include a modified, full, and improved modified choke tubes

Tommy Warren
06-20-2010, 09:32 PM
First off what does FID stand for? In canada its a PAL(posession/aquisition licence) or POL (posession only licence(can't buy guns) I can't figure out FID. anyways I have a remington 870 super express magnum with a slug barrel. If you load a slug than double 00 buck and then another slug your pretty much garunteed to nail a deer.....

CJM
06-20-2010, 09:34 PM
Firearms ID card..

mx Eli
06-20-2010, 09:35 PM
i have a 870 20 gauge with a canaleiver barrel with a scope and love it my bro just has the 870 combo and he likes it.

mossberg's are pritty cheaply made and jiggle alot had one and the pump would jiggle and scare stuff

destey
06-21-2010, 09:41 AM
in MA do you need a id card to exercise your first amendment rights as well?

Another week and the Supreme Court will strike down all this BS

Mcdonald vs. City of Chicago (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McDonald_v._Chicago)

dns1764
06-21-2010, 06:04 PM
you should see the bs we have to go through for a handgun. applications galore and an interview with your local pd to see if your are "fit" to own a gun

ZeroLogic
06-21-2010, 07:10 PM
Gotta love PA.:macho

wrekd
06-22-2010, 01:44 AM
Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag. Its alot lighter then the 870's and if you're walking around for a few hours you will appreciate the 835. Plus it shoots 3 1/2" mags :macho

destey
06-22-2010, 07:24 AM
sucks to live in such a Totalitarian state. Here in VT you don't need a permit to carry concealed. Anyone over 18 can carry open or concealed. You just have to be 21 to buy a handgun (federal law).

About the only gun laws we have are: no road hunting, no guns in schools/state buildings, no zip guns, and no silencers.

I'm against the ban on silencers as I live on a dairy farm and it would be very very helpful to kill pidgeons. They **** all over everything including the cow's feed. Can't shoot them because the gunshot makes the cows run, then they slip and fall and injure themselves and we have to send them to beef at a loss of $2000 per cow. So we have to live with pidgeons ****ting their diseased feces in the cows food because of a stupid law (tried BB guns, frozen paintballs, cats, climbing up and grabbing pidgeons by the wings and slamming them against the rafters..)

ZeroLogic
06-22-2010, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by destey
sucks to live in such a Totalitarian state. Here in VT you don't need a permit to carry concealed. Anyone over 18 can carry open or concealed. You just have to be 21 to buy a handgun (federal law).

About the only gun laws we have are: no road hunting, no guns in schools/state buildings, no zip guns, and no silencers.

I'm against the ban on silencers as I live on a dairy farm and it would be very very helpful to kill pidgeons. They **** all over everything including the cow's feed. Can't shoot them because the gunshot makes the cows run, then they slip and fall and injure themselves and we have to send them to beef at a loss of $2000 per cow. So we have to live with pidgeons ****ting their diseased feces in the cows food because of a stupid law (tried BB guns, frozen paintballs, cats, climbing up and grabbing pidgeons by the wings and slamming them against the rafters..)

What about an .22 from a long shot, say 200 yards?

destey
06-22-2010, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by ZeroLogic
What about an .22 from a long shot, say 200 yards?

The pidgeons in the barn are up in the rafters, its a post and beam with a metal roof so the shot would have to be taken so the roof isn't blocking them, 10-20 yards away is about as far as you can get before the overhang of the roof blocks the shot.

bradley300
06-22-2010, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by BlaineKaiser450

totally agree, and the barrels switch out real easy, so you could keep the original barell for turkey and other birds, and switch it out for a rifled barell for nice sabot slugs during deer season

fastredrider44
06-22-2010, 01:38 PM
Remington 870 fan here. Also have a Mossberg 12 gauge, but don't remember what it is. :grr: Never shot a slug before so can't comment on that either way. We still get to use rifles here in KY.:D

steel1
06-22-2010, 02:32 PM
The pidgeons in the barn are up in the rafters, its a post and beam with a metal roof so the shot would have to be taken so the roof isn't blocking them, 10-20 yards away is about as far as you can get before the overhang of the roof blocks the shot.

U should try 22 cal sub sonic rds. or low velocity rds. I can get them here. Clap ur hand.....thats how loud they are no joke and they should have the jam to kill the dang birds an not put holes in ur roof. One thing though they dont work on semi autos. (not enough powder to cycle the action).so bolt action or pump 22 rifles only,or cycle the semi after each shot

steel1
06-22-2010, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Very nice ^

10rd?

8 rd im lookin for a drum mag for it but i dont think they exist.

Aarons 01 400EX
06-22-2010, 02:40 PM
For the want to be pigeon killer:

Have you tried putting up netting/fence to prevent them from landing on the rafters? You could use chicken wire on the bottom side of the rafters and that would prevent them from going up there to begin with.

Or

when the cows are out in the field, you grab a ladder, 20 gauge with 8.5 shot and blast away.

ZeroLogic
06-22-2010, 04:20 PM

I'll have to come over with my ol recurve bow.:macho

CJM
06-22-2010, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by steel1
8 rd im lookin for a drum mag for it but i dont think they exist.

Still looks super fun :)

dns1764
06-23-2010, 04:53 AM
remington 870 it is. talked to the guy at the gun store and the fid will be about 3 to 6 weeks to process everything... cant wait

dns1764
06-23-2010, 04:54 AM
also for your pigeon problem, try a bb gun. we used those at work with decent success. i also killed one with a desk stapler...yup, im that skilled

destey
06-24-2010, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by dns1764
also for your pigeon problem, try a bb gun. we used those at work with decent success. i also killed one with a desk stapler...yup, im that skilled

A buddy and I used to try that, we'd pump it up 12-15 times when 10 was the max, it'd bounce right off their feathers. It'd stun them, and you'd see feathers fly, but they wouldn't go down unless you got their neck, head, or certain parts of their wing

Guy400
06-24-2010, 03:05 PM

I'm against the ban on silencers as I live on a dairy farm and it would be very very helpful to kill pidgeons. They **** all over everything including the cow's feed. Can't shoot them because the gunshot makes the cows run, then they slip and fall and injure themselves and we have to send them to beef at a loss of $2000 per cow. So we have to live with pidgeons ****ting their diseased feces in the cows food because of a stupid law (tried BB guns, frozen paintballs, cats, climbing up and grabbing pidgeons by the wings and slamming them against the rafters..) Put chicken wire up to keep them from getting up there.

DnB_racing
06-24-2010, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by dns1764
so i am getting my FID in a week or so, and i need to start looking for my first gun. right now i am leaning towards a shotgun. i will be mostly be hunting duck and turkey and maybe some deer.

what guns should i be looking at?

also i dont want to spend more than $500

depending on were you buy your gun expect a 7 day hold after you purchase Its called a cool of period, they do this if you have any record at all, just in case your buying the gun to go postal

CJM
06-24-2010, 07:40 PM
A buddy and I used to try that, we'd pump it up 12-15 times when 10 was the max, it'd bounce right off their feathers. It'd stun them, and you'd see feathers fly, but they wouldn't go down unless you got their neck, head, or certain parts of their wing

Thats why I have a pellet gun. My .22 cal crosman does the job quite well.

destey
06-25-2010, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by DnB_racing
depending on were you buy your gun expect a 7 day hold after you purchase Its called a cool of period, they do this if you have any record at all, just in case your buying the gun to go postal

What a joke. Seung-Hui Cho bought his guns all legally. For both guns he bought he passed the background checks. He also waited 30 days in between purchases as required by law. He also had been practicing at a shooting range 40 miles from campus. No spur of the moment thing.

If someone wants to do this kind of thing, they will find a way. The only thing that stop it is another gun by a good samaritan. If guns had been allowed on campus, someone would have shot him dead and saved lives.

When guns are outlawed (like on VT campus) only outlaws have guns.