PDA

View Full Version : starting issue on 01 ds650

Brian112233
06-20-2010, 11:14 AM
ok so this may sound kinda odd but this is whats going on. we have a modded ds650. i think it has a ron woods stage 2 kit on it. but any way, last fall the ron woods cdi took a dump, so for that day we put a stock one back it. starts and runs ok but needs more due to other mods. so we order a big gun box and put it in and now its starts very odd. if you crank it over it wont start till you let off the started button. if you continue to crank it will not start. to look at the spark it seems kinda weak. as soon as we let off the starter button 90% of the time it will fire up and run, and it runs and drives great. i put the stock box back in and it starts normal. any help would be great.

brian 68
06-20-2010, 12:21 PM
some cdi's have a very aggressive curve . i've heard they are hard to start. (if your timing chain is stretched,maybe its trowing it off just enough to give it problems. check the tensioner also.) the stock one is less advanced so you don't have any problem with it.while checking also look at your valve clearance. when i first bought mine it was hard to start, and didn't want to idle, once it warmed up the valve would seal ands it would be fine until it got cold, drove me nuts until i figured it out . don't forget if you replace the chain also replace the tensioner,

brian 68
06-20-2010, 12:24 PM
after reading your problem again. i would try replacing the timing chain tensioner first, before tearing into the motor.

Brian112233
06-20-2010, 10:01 PM
the motor runs and drives normal. i actually have week spark while preasing the starter button. i was told today by the previous owner that ever since he put the ron woods box in it thats the way its been. if you wait till you hear the compression stroke and let off it the button it will start, run and idle great.

brian 68
06-21-2010, 06:06 PM
they do require a 100% from your battery. might try a new battery. they are very picky about the battery. does it start easier once it has been warmed up?
. also check that both coils are working, with new plugs gaped right.
what carb do you have stock or tm 45?

Brian112233
06-24-2010, 11:03 PM
finally got to do some work on the quad. after unloading it from a pick up it wouldnt turn over with a new battery. all came back to previous owners ground connection at the frame. repaired that now starts and runs normal.