View Full Version : Finally a 416ex

Pt's400ex
06-19-2010, 09:40 PM
Well last night I was able to get the engine put together around 7:00. I started it up and let it idle for a little bit checking for leaks or rattles just to double check everything. I grounded down the exhaust welds, cleaned the pipes and painted them with the bar-b-que paint. It bubbled just a little bit but not enough to worry about it actually turned out good and clean.

Today I took it to a friends house in the country to start the break in process. From what I gathered from this sight and others I would ride a short period at first and then let it cool down. Each time I got back on it I would tale it a little further and a little more throttle but never a constant rpm. From what I can tell the jetting is real close no matter what gear it's in it constantly pulls hard all the way through. Next weekend if I can get out to St. Joe State Park I will do a plug check on it and see how close I am.

My next task for this bike is the Wheelie +3 key, lightend flywheel and E-85, preferably at the same time. So for now I need to find out where exactly to cut the flywheel and how much to take out? And what needle to buy for my stock carb to be able to make the proper adjustments? Thanks in advance Jim :)

TRXRacer1
06-20-2010, 06:56 AM
Stock needle is great for pump gas, better then the DynoJet but when you switch to E85 the DJ needle is the one to have. I might have one, PM me if interested and I'll take a look. I have a wheelie +3 key that I've never used too. Might be able to hook you up real cheap on everything.

honda400ex2003
06-22-2010, 03:03 PM
I have read to take off about 12 oz off the flywheel. that is what i plan to take off when i get a chance to find a lathe to do it. maybe 10 oz would be a good compromise to not create stalling issues if lugging through the woods. steve

Pt's400ex
06-22-2010, 09:22 PM
Hey thanks honda400ex2003 I was thinking 12oz as well, but will it make a difference on where I take off the weight? Do you stay to the outside or do inside as well. My machine guy says he will do it I just need to find out the proper technique. By the way I enjoyed your write up of your 416 it enspired me to take the plunge and I haven't looked back since. Thanks Jim

honda400ex2003
06-22-2010, 09:29 PM
thanks for the compliment! I would take it off on the outside of the flywheel and to the outer edge of it. with the flywheel on it would be the furthest and on the outside of the weights.

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=420153&highlight=400ex+flywheel

this one has some good info from a bit ago when i first got my info on doing it. steve

honda400ex2003
06-22-2010, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by TRXRacer1
Stock needle is great for pump gas, better then the DynoJet but when you switch to E85 the DJ needle is the one to have. I might have one, PM me if interested and I'll take a look. I have a wheelie +3 key that I've never used too. Might be able to hook you up real cheap on everything.

have you done anything with the 450 carbs and e-85 trx to see which needle is better? I see wheelie is using the HRC needle but dont know which one it is lol. I dont have any e-85 around but i suppose it could be some useful info one day lol. sorry to interupt the discussion, steve

TRXRacer1
06-24-2010, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by honda400ex2003
have you done anything with the 450 carbs and e-85 trx to see which needle is better? I see wheelie is using the HRC needle but dont know which one it is lol. I dont have any e-85 around but i suppose it could be some useful info one day lol. sorry to interupt the discussion, steve I have not played with the 450 carbs but the EX is not the only machine I've set up for E85 and all of them have performed spot on with a less restrictive needle.

honda400ex2003
06-24-2010, 11:20 PM
very nice, thanks for the info! steve

Wheelie
06-25-2010, 10:50 PM
I'm using the 04/05 HRC needle, bought in it a HRC carb kit from Service Honda.

Needle is part # 16201-NLZ-651

honda400ex2003
06-26-2010, 07:22 AM
thanks wheelie i was hoping you would chime in also! steve

honda400ex2003
06-30-2010, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by Pt's400ex
Hey thanks honda400ex2003 I was thinking 12oz as well, but will it make a difference on where I take off the weight? Do you stay to the outside or do inside as well.

Did you cut it yet by chance? steve

Pt's400ex
06-30-2010, 08:58 PM
Not yet I was volunteered to put up a swimming pool and install a deck before the 4th and the deck is all I have left. On top of that I have to work on my brother's banshee my son's breeze and change my oil. I still have yet to get the +3 timming key so I am a little behind to say the least.

To be honest the power from this 416 suprised me, when I raced my brother I would shoot out of the whole and he would play catch up. I have been using his bike to give me an idea of how well my bike has improved, it used to be no contest not anymore. Jim