PDA

View Full Version : Am I wrong???

o4twinpeaks
06-19-2010, 07:35 PM
We were at our races today and our boy did good. Got 2nd place in the 90 and the 70cc classes on his 70. We have been running for the past 3 yrs at our local track. Dirt drags. They are not sanctioned and run under there own rules. Stock is 100% stock here. A pipe or anything will bump you up to the next class. For the kids they run 3 avt classes. 50cc stock, 51 to 80cc class that mods are allowed, and a 90cc stock class. If you mod a bike you have to bump up on class. Joey started on a 50 that we now have a 70cc kit on and pipe. We run the 51 to 80 class and the 90 class. For the past 3 races this year there has been a trx90 running in the 51 to 80 class. Joey and this other kid are always battling for the win. They are pretty much dead even it all depends who can get off the line. Today I pulled the official to the side and and told him that I have kept quiet for the past 3 races but This wasn't right to allow a 90 in this class. I told him while the class was running and I said let him go today but no more. The official went and said something to the dad after that. As we were walking off the track after the class was over (which his son took 1st) he said I hear you don't want my bike running in this class any more. I told him it's a 51 to 80 class and he was a 90. He said but you're modified. I told him this is a mod class and you can bump up but not down. He said you should be made to run with the 125 class then and stormed off.

They put this class on for the drr's and apex's that were coming up and killing the little 50's so they made this a mod class. Am I wrong for playing by the rules and building one bike that my son can legally run in 2 class and be competitive on. His son has won both class for the past 3 races. Joey only takes him on a holeshot and then can hold his lead.

Am I being a sore looser?

We have gone round and round on mods with the track the first year on our drag 700 and have since given up on racing the big classes and just run the boy. I'm trying to play by the rules they set forth and just think that every one else should have to play by the same rules.

Sorry for the rant but just wanted too know what others take of this.

Tom

gistmarrs
06-19-2010, 08:54 PM
That really depends on the specific rules of the track/race. If the rule is strictly based on cc's then you are right. There really should be a different displacement for 2 strokes and 4 strokes.

My son got bumped into the 250cc class at a local race because the race organizer was an idiot. He said that the 90cc 2 strokes run with the 125's and the 250cc 4 strokes run with the 125's. How is that for stupid logic?

I'm surprised that the trx90 can keep up with your drr/apex. Stock they just do not have the Hp/weight ratio of the drr/apex bikes.

quad59
06-20-2010, 11:37 AM
I would say a 90cc fourstroke should be allowed to run in that class. With equal riders I dont see how the trx could compete.

o4twinpeaks
06-20-2010, 11:58 AM
yes they only go by cc here

Ride1Rob
06-20-2010, 12:19 PM
Like it was stated earlier I too don't see how a 90cc thumper will compete with 80cc 2 strokes. They must have some serious mods done to win like you state they are.

o4twinpeaks
06-20-2010, 12:52 PM
His son is a very good rider and his machine is runs great. All the credit to him but I still feel that he is playing outside the rules the way the track has the classes set by cc. We started life as a 50 and have gone to a 70 with mild mild porting and a pipe. All other tuning has been clutch and gearing. My son I feel isn't ready for any more right now. He is doing 300' in 7.8 seconds right now and is keeping right up with the other apexs and drrs that we have come across at other tracks. Could I do more to his? Yes but why should I have to spend more money to beat someone that buy the track rules shouldn't be in his class. We will still run him every race in the 90 class as we enter both classes just so joey can get more seat time and have fun. He's just turned 6 and is still learning. He has improved by leaps and bounds this year and that is why we are starting to get more involved and working our way up to a winning combination.

o4twinpeaks
06-20-2010, 12:57 PM
I do feel that if someone were to bring up a 80cc mod shifter they would dominate both classes. No one around here has brought one up yet. Should I build one and race it? Maybe.

nastynotchback1
06-20-2010, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by o4twinpeaks
I do feel that if someone were to bring up a 80cc mod shifter they would dominate both classes. No one around here has brought one up yet. Should I build one and race it? Maybe.

you just need to buy my 70mod and kick the crap out of that trx:D

o4twinpeaks
06-20-2010, 01:09 PM
I would but its not in the budget till winter time.

quad59
06-20-2010, 01:21 PM
Most tracks or sanctioning bodies who know what they are doing allow for more cc's on a fourstroke than a 2. Plain fact that a 2 stroke makes more power per cc than a 4. If your rules do not allow for this and its a straight cc limit regardless of engine design I would say you have a protest. Honestly he probably has more cc than 90 anyway in order to be that competitive with a modded 70. I guess you will have to protest to see what the track official or sanctioning body has to say. I'll be willing to bet that they have not addressed it because it has not been an issue yet. Carefull what you ask for though if they look at what others are doing that class may become 80cc 2 stroke and 150 fourstroke. If this is a true mod class it will open up a whole can of worms that people will spend $ on just to prove a point and becasue they can, like crf150r hybrids and all kinds of other junk.

hwf-racing
06-20-2010, 07:33 PM
I wouldn't protest! You say how close the boys race and pretty much who gets the hoeshot wins the race. Just work on your clutching and maybe little more engine I.E. jetting, carb, timing. Protest cause a new world of hurt!!!! IMO. Derek

zach R 7x
06-20-2010, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by quad59
I would say a 90cc fourstroke should be allowed to run in that class. With equal riders I dont see how the trx could compete.

I do not agree with this statement at all! These hondas can be modded and you may not even be able to tell, they can be made very fast !

I believe "RULES" are rules ,but there will always be somebody that will try and bend them.

good luck!!!

JIM GRACE
06-21-2010, 04:25 AM
We used to run with the Trx's but one of the
dads said something to the track owner about it not being a cvt .

It was all about points!! Not the ability of the quad.

I only questioned one quad we have run against
and that was a raptor 250 in the 90 cvt class.
Brandon won the race because it was a supercross style track and the raptor could
not stretch his legs on the short runs

Ride1Rob
06-21-2010, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by zach R 7x
I do not agree with this statement at all! These hondas can be modded and you may not even be able to tell, they can be made very fast !

I believe "RULES" are rules ,but there will always be somebody that will try and bend them.

good luck!!!

Zach, I think when he said 90cc he meant just that. Not a 110cc or 125cc modded thumper. Our 150cc thumper makes around the same hp as Stock appearing 100cc 2 strokes. We race in the modified class and just don't have the hp to run with the modded 2strokes.

o4twinpeaks
Most tracks allow for 125cc thumpers to race with 90cc 2 strokes. I say let the boys race ;) .

zach R 7x
06-21-2010, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by Ride1Rob
Zach, I think when he said 90cc he meant just that. Not a 110cc or 125cc modded thumper. Our 150cc thumper makes around the same hp as Stock appearing 100cc 2 strokes. We race in the modified class and just don't have the hp to run with the modded 2strokes.

o4twinpeaks
Most tracks allow for 125cc thumpers to race with 90cc 2 strokes. I say let the boys race ;) .

sorry,missed that part! thats what happens when i try and read before i have my coffee!

skyeryder
06-22-2010, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by nastynotchback1
you just need to buy my 70mod and kick the crap out of that trx:D

pic of the 70 mod??????