PDA

View Full Version : Quick, cheap tricks to make life easier.

pdxbigfoot
06-19-2010, 12:48 AM
Well after a few nights of sitting there staring at my build i came up with 2 things to make life easier and make things "cleaner"

1)
Everybody has the damn silencer burn mark on their plastics. Not a very nice sight when you just shelled out big $$$$$ for a shiney set of Fullbore's.
I started to burn through and embarked on a way to eliminate this problem.
Hhhhhmmmm..."give a lazy man a problem and he will figure out the easiest way to solve it"...Im lazy!!!!
Use a TRX 450R muffler heat shield! Its cheap,and works just like a stocker (with my silencer anyways) and should help dissapate the heat fairly well.

2)
I used some GM door card/moulding push clips to fill the unused bolt holes in my frame.
After a few rides in the sand you will realize that the stuff will snake its way into the smallest of places. Im not running a stock engine skid plate so these work really well to keep the threads clean and debris free.
I also used them in my empty front fender support bolt locations.

Just a couple things that came too me.

pdxbigfoot
06-19-2010, 12:49 AM

pdxbigfoot
06-19-2010, 12:50 AM

pdxbigfoot
06-19-2010, 12:51 AM
These.....

pdxbigfoot
06-19-2010, 12:51 AM
this...

leager-n-ky
06-19-2010, 01:08 AM
Love the hole plugs, I have used a piece of heater hose, split in half wrapped around the silencer for years, and never burned my plastic, but your idea can be polished...... I LIKE IT !!!!!!

red88r
06-19-2010, 01:12 AM
Very good ideas...thanks 4 sharing!!

atvmxr
06-19-2010, 07:33 AM
I've never had a problem burning the plastics on my R's... but sure see alot of others that do! good ideas, thanks for sharing!!:)

mxduner
06-19-2010, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by red88r
Very good ideas...thanks 4 sharing!! x2. thanks

Pumashine
06-19-2010, 06:47 PM
If you plug the holes with polished stainless 8 mm bolts it looks a whole lot better! I can hook you up with some Jason.

pdxbigfoot
06-19-2010, 06:52 PM
But having bolts to nowhere makes no sense to me. Hence the lighter just as cool plastic.

Pumashine
06-19-2010, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by pdxbigfoot
But having bolts to nowhere makes no sense to me.

LOL! Plastic is lighter but does not catch your eye like polished stainless. I know it does not meet the cheap and easy route this thread is about.

pdxbigfoot
06-19-2010, 07:12 PM
Move on to another thread Tony!
Do you really see anything "cheap" on my build? Maybe some plastic hole plugs?
Have your stainless and ill have my plastic.

I spend countless hours making my build look anti-cheap!
Maybe you should take a closer look at the details on my build Tony.

Pumashine
06-19-2010, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by pdxbigfoot
Do you really see anything "cheap" on my build? Maybe some plastic hole plugs?
Have your stainless and ill have my plastic.

I spend countless hours making my build look anti-cheap!

I did not say your build looked cheap. The pastic plugs are a neat idea. I was refering to the thread title "cheap and easy tips", not your build. I see your attention to detail and everyone likes certain styles of design. Polished stainless in my opinion looks better than plastic. The plastic gets the job done and is an easy fix. I'm all for tips and tricks. I thought you might like the way polished stainless looks. My bad, keep up the awesome work dude!

406Z26
06-19-2010, 07:28 PM
I have used the "christmas tree" plug trick for years. Its the best route to fill a unused bolt hole in a frame. It may not catch your eye but thats good and 30 of them weigh as much as one bolt.

pdxbigfoot
06-19-2010, 10:07 PM
After i read your post from home on the laptop instead of the Blackberry screen i took your response totally wrong!!!
I agree that the bolts look better and understand where you were comming from now.
I apologize for being such a testy jack*****.
I was on the run at work (a bar that has frequent crackheads, Drunks, Homeless,cheats, thieves, hookers,Johns, Pimps, and shady crazy people) and as always was in full defense mode.

Welcome!!!
Its kinda strange how you and I always have some sort of bickering.
My appologies once again.