PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ride a Phazer MTL?

Trxracr
06-18-2010, 11:32 PM
im thinkin about trading one of my quads for an 07 Phazer MTL i just dont no though 80 horse dont seem like enough to spin 144 inches of rubber

Hondamaster5505
06-19-2010, 06:37 AM
Originally posted by Trxracr
im thinkin about trading one of my quads for an 07 Phazer MTL i just dont no though 80 horse dont seem like enough to spin 144 inches of rubber

If I remember correctly, the Phazer is a 4-stroke.

Just my opinion, the only snowmobile I would ever buy is a 650-up 2-stroke. Those twin/triple cylinder two-strokes RIP.

Quad18star
06-19-2010, 09:24 AM
Underpowered POS. I'd never buy one ... a lot better machines out there.

Trxracr
06-19-2010, 11:16 AM
yes it is a 500cc 4 stroke all Yamaha did was put 2 YZ250F motors together and yes 2 strokes rip but i put 3000+ miles on a season so id be rebuilding it every summer thats why im thinkin 4 stroke maybe

rbgnwa45
06-19-2010, 01:12 PM
Turbo's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNpnkLQfVUU

Hondamaster5505
06-19-2010, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by Trxracr
yes it is a 500cc 4 stroke all Yamaha did was put 2 YZ250F motors together and yes 2 strokes rip but i put 3000+ miles on a season so id be rebuilding it every summer thats why im thinkin 4 stroke maybe

That 500 would have to work it's balls off.. I'm willing to bet it would need to be rebuilt just as soon as a 2-stroke would... And the 2-stroke is much cheaper to rebuild.

You have to remember, the life-span of the 2-stroke snowmobiles aren't that small.. they still have nikasil plated cylinders and what not.

m0t0xk1d
06-19-2010, 04:00 PM
80 horse on a sled isnt much IMO. Honestly when the standard sled now is a 600 2 stroke that makes 120 hp, that 80 will be nothing. Plus some 600 2 strokes have trouble with a 144.

If your stuck on a mountain sled i would get a 800 2 stroke with a 144. 2 stroke sleds last a lot longer then you may think. I have 10,000 miles on my 600's original crank and i didnt rebuild the top end until 9,500 and it still hadden lost much, if at all, any power.

If your stuck on a four stroke mountain sled i would either get a nytro mtx or an apex mtx and man do those apex's RIP :eek2:

However the longevity on some of those yami sleds are amazing. Ive seen one with 30,000 miles and never had an engine rebuild. The original ones were just the R1 engines in them modified for a sled. My buddy has one and they rip but they are a TANK

Quad18star
06-19-2010, 05:20 PM
Stick with a 2stroke. You'd be amazed at the longevity you can get out of a well maintained 2 stroke.

I wouldn't buy a 4stroke sled ... especially a mountain sled ... they're too heavy. Also why buy a 4stroke , when Ski-Doo's E-tec has the reliability of a 4stroke and better fuel economy? I've riden Yamaha 4stroke sleds .... my buddy has an Apex .... never would I buy one. Stick with a Ski-Doo or a Cat.

A nice sled for all around riding ( ask yourself , do you really need a mountain sled?) would be a Ski-Doo Renegade or an Arctic Cat Crossfire.

cannondale27
06-19-2010, 06:19 PM
I have one.Over 8000mi on motor with just oil changes once a year.07's had a few issues with suspension and alot of ice buildup.Yamaha is warrantying the known issues to this day even if warrantee is over.They have made alot of changes in sleds since 07.My 07 is pretty modded with Custom Axis suspension and reinforced skid and no issues last few years.It has plenty of power to stick with bigger 2st's until you get on a river,grade or anywhere you can run wide open.Then they are gone pretty quickly.Not sure about mountain riding but would assume alot of power is needed for that.So may want to look at something else for that.If you want a sled that is just plain fun and requires alot of body english to wring out then Phazer is one of the funnest.

Trxracr
06-19-2010, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by m0t0xk1d
80 horse on a sled isnt much IMO. Honestly when the standard sled now is a 600 2 stroke that makes 120 hp, that 80 will be nothing. Plus some 600 2 strokes have trouble with a 144.

If your stuck on a mountain sled i would get a 800 2 stroke with a 144. 2 stroke sleds last a lot longer then you may think. I have 10,000 miles on my 600's original crank and i didnt rebuild the top end until 9,500 and it still hadden lost much, if at all, any power.

If your stuck on a four stroke mountain sled i would either get a nytro mtx or an apex mtx and man do those apex's RIP :eek2:

However the longevity on some of those yami sleds are amazing. Ive seen one with 30,000 miles and never had an engine rebuild. The original ones were just the R1 engines in them modified for a sled. My buddy has one and they rip but they are a TANK

I'd replace that crank if i was you my brother just picked up a project sled that had 11300 on the original crank and one of the connecting rods broke and the whole motor is junk!

i dont really need a mountain sled i want a "crossover" (136-144) i was just thinkin phazer cuz i can get a really good deal on an 07 with 3900 miles and sorry guys if i dont get a Yami itll be a Polaris everyone i know that has Ski-Doos and Cats have nothin but issues

m0t0xk1d
06-19-2010, 09:41 PM
The crank is planning to be replaced this summer.

However you are right with the POLARIS! Im still running on an 01 edge chassis with a 600 and its great i love it. i havent ridden an iq except the race sled and man do those handle NICE :eek2:

However if you want a crossover a switchback is right in your area. they are the perfect crossover sled honestly. with the tipped rails you dont get the pushing of the 144 or 136 and the handling of the 121's. I believe the only year of the 144 on the IQ switchback is an 06 but all of the edge's are 144's. 07 and up polaris switched to the coupled 136.

IF you still want a four stroke there is the switchback FST. Correct me if im wrong but those FST's are a 750 i believe. i believe they make 140 hp. which isnt bad for a sled and from what ive heard llthey are torquey as hell.

If money isnt an issue you may want to go to your local polaris dealer and see what they have to offer for a 2011. Polaris's sleds are basically all brand new now and a totally differnt design. Most of them have the new styling with the pro ride chassis. Hey, maybe even a rush would suit you well.

You have plenty of time to think what you want but remember, Polaris is the way to go!