PDA

View Full Version : CRF valves

One_Bad_400
06-18-2010, 04:45 PM
i'm trying to get up the nerve to rebuild my CRF250 motor from the bottom up. and i'm planning on putting some SS valves in it becasue i'm always having to adjust them Ti ones. looking at Ferrea valves. will the stock locators and retainers work with these valves?!?! are they typically universal?

its just the $300 price tag on the whole kit discust me. so if i can get away with $100 on just the valves, and re use the stock components, that would be better on my part lol. i've done a little research on springs. and have found out you can use the same spring with SS and Ti valves. the weight is not a big enough difference to float the valves. did it on my Curtis Sparks race motor and its doing great.

JR3
06-18-2010, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by One_Bad_400
i'm trying to get up the nerve to rebuild my CRF250 motor from the bottom up. and i'm planning on putting some SS valves in it becasue i'm always having to adjust them Ti ones. looking at Ferrea valves. will the stock locators and retainers work with these valves?!?! are they typically universal?

its just the $300 price tag on the whole kit discust me. so if i can get away with $100 on just the valves, and re use the stock components, that would be better on my part lol. i've done a little research on springs. and have found out you can use the same spring with SS and Ti valves. the weight is not a big enough difference to float the valves. did it on my Curtis Sparks race motor and its doing great.

ive heard mixed things on the ss valves. some mechanichs say that there is a reason why they come with titanium valves and thats because titanium is light and the bike is made to rev to the sky. thus the reason for titanium valves. also heard that if u are hard on the bike (revved out all the time) the ss valves will crack ur valve seats because of how strong the valves are and how weak the seats are just a couple things to think about.

One_Bad_400
06-18-2010, 06:18 PM
hum. i havent heard about that. will do some asking around. on a quad i stay on the rev limiter. still learning on bikes. so i usually aint up in the limiter.

eastside 400
06-18-2010, 07:26 PM
if your putting SS in then you need the kit with springs, the stock springs are meant for Ti so they have a lighter spring pressure, the SS valves require more spring pressure. The problem with the CRF heads isnt the Ti valve, its the seat, the seats are not meant for Ti valves and thats why it wears them so fast, i would go with the SS valves.