PDA

View Full Version : Random question

troybilt
06-17-2010, 01:39 PM
I was thumbing threw some old mags last night and I revisted that article with the custom framed LT250r with an RD350 motor in it. I noticed in the article the owner/builder reversed the cylinders so the pipes (2 cylinder engine) go straight back and the airbox is towards the front (actually had open K&N elements). What is the advantage of this? I noticed the new 2010 YZ450r bike did the same thing with the tornado pipe on it, cylinder is actually tilted the opposite direction too.

I would think you could get the same pipe dynamics as a drag pipe, but in frame in this case.

Not going to try right now, but just wanted to hear some thoughts on this. Seems to me you could opt for a Duncan style banshee pipe that uses the tornado effect, honestly I don't know enough about pipe building but I find it really interesting. I'll see if I can find a picture out on the web somewhere.

troybilt
06-17-2010, 01:43 PM
Here's a picture of the bike with the RD350 motor in it. Its the same motor that the Banshee is based off of. But in the case of the article the builder reversed the cylinder so the pipes point backward and the intake is on the front.

troybilt
06-17-2010, 01:56 PM
Here's another article, reversed cylinder 2 stroke motor.

http://motocrossactionmag.com/Main/News/REVERSE-CYLINDER-EFI-TWOSTROKE-OSSA-IS-BACK-With-A-3802.aspx

1promodfan
06-17-2010, 02:53 PM
I saw a Banshee with this setup the other day. Let me see if I can find the pics and videos.

jcs003
06-17-2010, 03:58 PM
i thought the banshee was based on the rz350. the bike that kenny roberts raced. rz350 is liquid cooled. actually putting the rz cylinders on the banshee is the trick upgrade.

hartwill
06-17-2010, 04:40 PM
my guess is its so under acceleration your intake isn't defying gravity. if that makes sense. seems like a good idea to me more air+ more fuel= more power. I don't know why they haven't been doing this all along. but again this is just my theory so feel free to correct me.

1promodfan
06-17-2010, 08:44 PM
Here is a link of a video of the Banshee I was telling you about.

http://s539.photobucket.com/albums/ff356/gassrx_porting/?action=view&current=670ROTAX.flv

CODY_M11
06-18-2010, 01:12 AM
so might be a dumb question but can you turn any 2 stroke cylinder around and it run the same with no problems?

regg187
06-22-2010, 08:19 AM
I imagine as long as the bolt pattern is square you could 180 the cylinder, but if it had case reeds or weird entry exit angels what would ya do?
that rd 350 is OK, but you would really want an RD 400 motor instead. more power ,lighter weight . better angels if you do reverse the cylinder. The reason the hill climbers reversed the cylinder was to get the "ram air effect" in there uphill drag race. if your not gonna use it like that why bother!! I was pretty sure the RD motor was the drawing board from which the w/c'd rz sprang