PDA

View Full Version : Give me some exhaust guidance please.

06-17-2010, 10:02 AM
A buddy of mine has a bone stock 2005 400EX. He recently asked me what a good pipe for it would be. I'm not a 400EX guy, so I told him I'd look into it.

A couple questions. There seems to be a hundred pipes out there for the 400EX. For the money, will a slip on be just fine for him? He's just looking for a little more pep. Noise is important here. The pipe needs to be fairly mellow. I realize it's going to be louder than stock but holy hell are some of those 4 stroke pipes loud!

I see most slip on pipes run in the neighborhood of $275-350. So which pipe do you guys recommend? Are they all pretty much created equal? I need a pipe that is reasonably priced, of good quality, and relatively mellow sounding. Oh, and he'll need a spark arrestor.

Thanks.

a4guy
06-17-2010, 10:08 AM
Most pipes come with a spark arrestor. The q4 is a quiet but nice sounding exhaust that boosts the low end. Also any of the FMF pipes are good.

Let him know he will need to rejet when he installs a slip on.

jcs003
06-17-2010, 12:48 PM
i had a DMC and it was nice and seemed to add some power.

beastlywarrior
06-17-2010, 12:57 PM
tell him to get the hmf competition slip on

honda400ex2003
06-17-2010, 04:27 PM
my vote goes to the q4 for sound since it is pretty quiet. I love my t-4 if a bit louder is alright. it is around 95 dbs the stocker is 88 and the q4 is right around 90 for comparison. steve

beags86
06-17-2010, 04:45 PM
i just bought a 05 ex with a white bros. e2 on it, it seams like a good power adder with a nice mellow tone and not to loud.

CarGuy7a
06-17-2010, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by beags86
i just bought a 05 ex with a white bros. e2 on it, it seams like a good power added, with a nice mellow tone and not to loud.

Yeah too bad WB is out of business since Vance and Hines bought them out.

White Brothers made good exhausts. I have the E2 on mine as well.

I've heard good things about the Lexx pipes. They run about $200. I saw one brand new last night on ebay for $170. The Lexx has a ton of different tuning options.

TRXRacer1
06-17-2010, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by CarGuy7a

I've heard good things about the Lexx pipes. They run about $200. I saw one brand new last night on ebay for $170. The Lexx has a ton of different tuning options. I put a Lexx on a 450r and it was so nice that I don't know if I would ever buy name brand again. Major $ savings and solid performance.

CJM
06-17-2010, 07:43 PM
I got a lexx on mine, its ok but what annoys me is you gotta silcone it all together and it doesnt meet at the end of the headerpipe.

Maybe mine is messed up, but its about a 1/2 from the flange on the headerpipe and I siliconed the junk out of it.

Been thinking about getting a adapter made, cutting splines in the mufflers midpipe and using exhaust clamps to make sure it dont leak.

ETA: It doesnt meet properly b/c the mount for the midpipe cannot be moved like the mount for the muffler can-thus the midpipe to headerpipe spot is off like I described. Had thought about taking some metal flatbar and making an extension for the correct spot but we shall see.

TRXRacer1
06-17-2010, 08:29 PM
I only did the 450r install but it was a perfect fit. Maybe you got a bum pipe.

CJM
06-17-2010, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by TRXRacer1
I only did the 450r install but it was a perfect fit. Maybe you got a bum pipe.

IDK, my header is proper length too. The adapter like I said is about 1/4 to 1/2 inch from the end of the flange and not flush.

beags86
06-17-2010, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by CarGuy7a
Yeah too bad WB is out of business since Vance and Hines bought them out.

White Brothers made good exhausts. I have the E2 on mine as well.

I've heard good things about the Lexx pipes. They run about $200. I saw one brand new last night on ebay for $170. The Lexx has a ton of different tuning options.

i didn't know that, i really don't keep up on that type of info that much, but-none-the-less you could always get a used one on here or ebay. is v&h still makeing version of the e2?

CarGuy7a
06-18-2010, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by beags86
i didn't know that, i really don't keep up on that type of info that much, but-none-the-less you could always get a used one on here or ebay. is v&h still makeing version of the e2?

WB has been out of business for a while now. At least a couple of years.

No they don't make the E2 anymore. The only quad V&H makes a pipe for is the C-rappy 700. They did keep the WB designs of the pipes they had when they bought WB out, but mostly all V&H exhausts are for dirt bikes and they are waaayy over priced. I'm talking like $899 for a full system. That's freakin insane.

Hondamaster5505
06-18-2010, 07:19 PM
I had a full DMC Alien on mine, and the thing pulled HARD for a relatively stock 400ex. Huge different from stock.

Between that and the timing key, it ran like a small 450 with a lot of mid-top. Not as fast, but similar feeling power-range.

I recommend he does the curtis sparks timing advance key, its dirt cheap and really helps. Compliments the exhaust nicely.

Ridin04EX
06-19-2010, 12:15 PM
not to hijack his thread. but what about a slip on that is loud, but still performs well? thanks

CarGuy7a
06-19-2010, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by Ridin04EX
not to hijack his thread. but what about a slip on that is loud, but still performs well? thanks

Alot of them can be made loud if you take the spark arrestor out and install the race tip. My E2 is pretty quiet with the spark arrestor in and is much louder and runs alot better with the race tip in it.

The HMF's are pretty loud. IMO they sound like the old White Brothers R4.

tri5ron
06-21-2010, 07:40 PM
your friends 400ex will benifit nicely with a good slip-on.
But since he will already need to re-jet, he may as well put a Uni, or K&N with Outerwears at the same time.
This will help improve the flow going in, as well as out.

Now with that being said, He would be gaining the MOST benefit from both,...
If he was to ALSO grind the OEM header welds down.
(look up the various threads on the header weld grinds. alot of good info there).

and, (as has already been suggested),
a Sparks +6 timing advance key, will greatly compliment the better breathing bike, give quicker throttle responce, will not compromise ANY of the reliability that the 400EX is known for.

For an extra $100 bucks beyond the cost of the slip-on, and a couple hours of work,...
He will be pleasantly surprized, I promise.

ridgeracer
06-22-2010, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by beastlywarrior
tell him to get the hmf competition slip on
This is what I run and I love it. It came with 3 tips that you can swap out for power/sound, so you can kinda tune it to meet your needs.

06-22-2010, 04:35 PM
Guys, thanks big time for all the advice. I'm gonna relay it to my buddy.