PDA

View Full Version : Getting PO'd need some help

troybilt
06-16-2010, 06:09 PM
Any other way to get the flywheel off without using a flywheel puller? I bought a flywheel puller from Ricky Stator but the jack that assembled this motor screwed up the threads on the flywheel and there's no way to retap them. I've had nothing but trouble with this motor so far. I've had the motor in the bike for 2 months and still haven't fired it up yet. This little piddly craps is getting to me. Sorry to vent here. I should've left the stocker OEM motor in it...

bloodswet&gears
06-16-2010, 06:16 PM
the threads in the flywheel are left hand thread. i ran into this today. that may not be your problem but i was using a three jaw puller before. I bought the same flywheel puller you got and got to use it today.
First I thought my threads were messed up too. worked good though once i learned how to use it.

troybilt
06-16-2010, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by bloodswet&gears
the threads in the flywheel are left hand thread. i ran into this today. that may not be your problem but i was using a three jaw puller before. I bought the same flywheel puller you got and got to use it today.
First I thought my threads were messed up too. worked good though once i learned how to use it.

Yeah, after about 10 or so tries I got it to go a few threads anyway, I filed the lip on the flywheel a little and that helped get it started. I was just getting frustrated with it. I got a couple good threads in it, so hopefully it will come out now, then I can chase the threads with it when its out. Looks like they were dinged up a little with an impact socket or something, taking the nut off. I'm just real anal with my stuff I like things to be put together right... thanks, sorry to vent... just a little over excited to get this bike back running so I can maybe ride it this weekend.

wild250rman
06-16-2010, 06:29 PM
watch using a flywheel puller you can pull the outer shell off. try taking a dead blow hammer and tapping the puller as you try to thread it in remove the center of the puller before you do it may take an extra set of hands also. What ever you do don't beat on the crank threads to try and remove it or you will end up in a mess.

troybilt
06-16-2010, 07:13 PM
What did you use to hold the flywheel when you tighten down the nut? I don't have a "universal holder" like the service manual says. Is there another way?

troybilt
06-16-2010, 07:15 PM
I tightened it down with an impact but didn't hammer on it or anything. I hope that's enough. I don't have a good way to hold the flywheel while I torque it with torque wrench. Anyway, thanks for the help. Again sorry to vent.

bloodswet&gears
06-16-2010, 07:18 PM
wedge a shop rag in the gears on the clutch side. in between them in the direction you are gonna torque the flywheel nut.
the gears will pull the rag in and wedge.

Latemodel32
06-16-2010, 07:24 PM
I always used a penny copper is a very soft metal and you will wreck some pennys but hell its only 1 cent

bloodswet&gears
06-16-2010, 07:35 PM
I wasn't thinkin you may not have that side off. but i have used a 3/8 impact to tighten em before. gotta use your own judgement. different impacts have different power.

All250R
06-16-2010, 09:51 PM
I wasn't thinkin you may not have that side off. but i have used a 3/8 impact to tighten em before. gotta use your own judgement. different impacts have different power.
Yea, you guys are crazy imo. For a part as critical and expensive as the crank and as potentially destructive as a flywheel, I would never tighten that nut with anything but a torque wrench. The holder tool is commonly found and cheap. There's no good reason to be imprecise with an impact gun...

troybilt
06-17-2010, 04:39 AM
Originally posted by All250R
Yea, you guys are crazy imo. For a part as critical and expensive as the crank and as potentially destructive as a flywheel, I would never tighten that nut with anything but a torque wrench. The holder tool is commonly found and cheap. There's no good reason to be imprecise with an impact gun...

Where did you find a holder tool? That's the best way.

rsss396
06-17-2010, 06:53 AM
they sell plastic piston stops that thread into thw sparkplug hole

troybilt
06-17-2010, 07:07 AM
Thanks, but I decided to measure it up and I'm getting a part laser cut and throw in some bolts for dowels to fit into the flywheel holes. I'll probably be doing this more that once in the future so I might as well make a tool and do it right the first time. Guess I won't take it out on Sunday.

I'll have to go back to the old-trusty 450r... LOL!! ...kind of ironic.

destey
06-17-2010, 07:19 AM
i started with a 3 jaw puller and ended up mushrooming the crankshaft end. The standard puller barely got mine off, took everything it had.

I've got no advice to offer other than spray it with PB blaster a couple times a day, wait a week or two and try it

troybilt
06-17-2010, 07:22 AM
Thanks. I got the flywheel off now I'm worried about how to torque it back down on the crankshaft

89rwfo
06-17-2010, 10:05 AM
I have never used anything but a 1/2 impact to tighten the fly wheel down. I dont hammer it just one quick hit.

troybilt
06-17-2010, 10:21 AM
That's what I did last night, except I used a 20V cordless 1/2" impact. I just bought one of these man they are awesome... same with my 20V 1/4" impact. I use the crap out of these, makes life easy...

anyway, sorry to diverge, but I wanted to see if I could get the motor started and I did. But now I'll go back and torque it. I think the key is making sure the timing mark on the flywheel line up with the magneto, axially. The manual says to torque it from 47 to 55 ft-lbs, torque, and like all things I would suggest torquing it. Cheap insurance on your flywheel and crankshaft.

After I took the flywheel off, I noticed the socket I was using fit a little tight in the flywheel. I bet that's what boogered the threads up a little. So I quess I should only blame myself on that, I now recommend using a thin walled socket which works perfect.

All250R
06-17-2010, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by troybilt
Where did you find a holder tool? That's the best way.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Motorcycle-Clutch-Flywheel-Sprocket-Holder-Holding-T33-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem4ceb2463a5QQitemZ33036 2545061QQptZMotorsQ5fAutomotiveQ5fTools#ht_1293wt_ 886

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/productDetail.do?navType=type&webTypeId=140&navTitle=Tools/Shop&webCatId=22&keyword=FLYWHEEL+HOLDER&prodFamilyId=18289

sangheraent
06-17-2010, 11:49 AM
I use an impact gun with about 80lbs of air in the tank. iv done this probably 25-30 times on various motors over the years and my flywheel came lose twice and both of those times I used the shoptowel in the clutch gear trick.

troybilt
06-17-2010, 11:54 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Motorcycle-Clutch-Flywheel-Sprocket-Holder-Holding-T33-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem4ceb2463a5QQitemZ33036 2545061QQptZMotorsQ5fAutomotiveQ5fTools#ht_1293wt_ 886

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/productDetail.do?navType=type&webTypeId=140&navTitle=Tools/Shop&webCatId=22&keyword=FLYWHEEL+HOLDER&prodFamilyId=18289

I saw the clutch holding tool, I just assumed it was for a clutch and not flywheel. I don't know what the dowel holes measure on the flywheel, but it looks like the clutch holder pins are flat and wider than the dowel holes in the flywheel. Hard to tell from the picture.

I was looking for the tool shown in the trx250r service mag, but if that works maybe I can find one at Autozone or something.

bloodswet&gears
06-17-2010, 01:43 PM
Yea, you guys are crazy imo. For a part as critical and expensive as the crank and as potentially destructive as a flywheel, I would never tighten that nut with anything but a torque wrench. The holder tool is commonly found and cheap. There's no good reason to be imprecise with an impact gun... yea im crazy. and i didn't ask your opinion. i got the right tools. but if im not at my tool box im gonna use what i got there if i wanna ride. the holder is mac tool number swf3.

anyway, i didnt say anybody had to use an impact. i believe in fixing it right the first time and torque specs. sometimes you have to improvise.

what does imprecise mean?

Aceman
06-17-2010, 09:46 PM

Do you know what precise means? It's the opposite of that.

The opposite of precision. Not very precise.

All250R
06-18-2010, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by troybilt
I saw the clutch holding tool, I just assumed it was for a clutch and not flywheel. I don't know what the dowel holes measure on the flywheel, but it looks like the clutch holder pins are flat and wider than the dowel holes in the flywheel. Hard to tell from the picture.

I was looking for the tool shown in the trx250r service mag, but if that works maybe I can find one at Autozone or something.
You'll see it listed for clutch, flywheel, gear holder. It's the right tool for the TRX flywheel - the dowel size that it. It's too fat for the CR flywheel without modification, but for the TRX it works fine.

All250R
06-18-2010, 02:58 PM
yea im crazy. and i didn't ask your opinion. i got the right tools. but if im not at my tool box im gonna use what i got there if i wanna ride. the holder is mac tool number swf3.

anyway, i didnt say anybody had to use an impact. i believe in fixing it right the first time and torque specs. sometimes you have to improvise.

I didn't mean to offend you. You said to use your best judgement, and I basically meant, yea... but it's basically all a bad idea. People can do whatever they want! But in this case I'm going to let them know there is a better way.

k7mm
06-23-2010, 09:59 AM
It says in the service manual to put the transmission in like 5th gear and stand on the rear brake while torking with the torq wrench.I've done this more than once and it works.Keith