PDA

View Full Version : in the market for a new helmet

IRISH-RACER-14
06-16-2010, 05:47 PM
any tips on buying a helmet

i like these so far

http://www.motosport.com/atv/product/2010-ANSWER-COMET-HELMET-ROCKSTAR/?catalogId=115085

IRISH-RACER-14
06-16-2010, 05:53 PM
http://www.motosport.com/atv/product/2010-FLY-TROPHY-II-HELMET/?catalogId=116261

http://www.motosport.com/atv/product/2010-ONEAL-5-SERIES-CREEPSHOW-HELMET/?catalogId=116105

06-16-2010, 06:31 PM
#1 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SHOEI-VFX-W-OFFROAD-HELMET-BLACK-MEDIUM-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem20ac221269QQitemZ14032 6867561QQptZApparelQ5fMerchandise)

/Thread

IRISH-RACER-14
06-16-2010, 06:33 PM
ur lick doesnt work man

madskrillz2
06-16-2010, 06:40 PM
I'm gonna go ahead and say I think you should save your money and buy a higher end helmet. Your head isn't really something to be cheap on. I personally use a Bell Moto 8 and love it

IRISH-RACER-14
06-16-2010, 06:45 PM
im 16,dont ride that much, pay my own way.. i think these helmets are pretty expensive. the last 1 i had was a cheap ebay one for 60$. the dog chewed it up. so now its time for a new helmet. 300 is crazy for a helmet

madskrillz2
06-16-2010, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by IRISH-RACER-14
im 16,dont ride that much, pay my own way.. i think these helmets are pretty expensive. the last 1 i had was a cheap ebay one for 60$. the dog chewed it up. so now its time for a new helmet. 300 is crazy for a helmet

Not crazy if it keeps you from doodling in coloring books the rest of your life. To each his own

ATV Chic
06-16-2010, 08:28 PM
don't know what size you need but i'd suggest anything one inds jmo :p
link (http://www.motosport.com/atv/product/2010-ONE-INDUSTRIES-KOMBAT-HELMET-HART-HUNTINGTON-ROCKSTAR/?catalogId=113973)

SRH
06-16-2010, 09:01 PM
i didnt look at your choices but hjc's are the best helmets ive had

250x_kyle
06-16-2010, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by madskrillz2
Not crazy if it keeps you from doodling in coloring books the rest of your life. To each his own

Amen to that. that like saying your lifes only worth 125 bucks.

06-16-2010, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by IRISH-RACER-14

where do I start? Are you complaining being 16 and paying your own way? Your the 1st on this site to have ever done that, everyones mommys and daddys have payed for everything :rolleyes:. I cant believe you even thought about let alone wore a $60 helmet. Also $300 is cheap for a helmet, go look at motorcycle and auto racing helmets, thats the minimum low end starting price. How often do you buy helmets? Get a great one and do it right the 1st time.

DnB_racing
06-16-2010, 09:36 PM
you dont have to spend 300 to get a safe helmet! just make sure it is Snell rated, dot ratings are easy to meet and arnt as good, there is a point that your paying for the design or name, if you looking at helmets look at the ratings first then the design. you can get a perfectly good helmet for 150, it might not have all the vents or colors but it will be as safe as any 300 dollar helmet

06-16-2010, 09:48 PM
true but why not spend the extra money and make it comfortable? Also there was a debate on the ratings and having a helmet that doesnt absorb impacts at the speeds we ride can actually be worse than a helmet that would have flexxed or w/e I wanna say SNELL is the one where the helmet is super strong and is meant for real high speeds? Dont quote me on that though. My next helmet is definately goig to be real lightweight, strong, and plenty of airflow. Florida in the summer is just so hot you sweat in the shade if you were naked and a breeze blowing lol

madskrillz2
06-16-2010, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by DnB_racing
you dont have to spend 300 to get a safe helmet! just make sure it is Snell rated, dot ratings are easy to meet and arnt as good, there is a point that your paying for the design or name, if you looking at helmets look at the ratings first then the design. you can get a perfectly good helmet for 150, it might not have all the vents or colors but it will be as safe as any 300 dollar helmet

If you really looked into it, you'd realize that's not true. I've seen videos and witnessed in person "tests" on helmets. One being a higher end and one being in the 150 range. Let's just say that's pretty much what made me decide to never buy one of those helmets again.

K-Dub
06-17-2010, 01:42 AM
My question is what do you do when no one (Shoei, Bell, One, TLD, Thor etc) dont make one big enough for your head. Or a neck brace, roost protector. The only helmets I can find are the cheap one big enough. The Alpinestar neck brace only go's to a 50" chest, and the Lett a 48" (that Ive been able to find). So what do you do then? Thanks to Moose I atleast can buy riding pants that fit, their jerseys dont though.

DnB_racing
06-17-2010, 05:58 AM
If you really looked into it, you'd realize that's not true. I've seen videos and witnessed in person "tests" on helmets. One being a higher end and one being in the 150 range. Let's just say that's pretty much what made me decide to never buy one of those helmets again.

I have looked into it very carefully and I found its not the price, its the SNELL rating! they just dont give that rating to any cheaply made helmet, but you can buy a Snell rated helmet for around 150 and it IS safe. I would stay away from helmets that are only Dot rated! Snell standards are set to levels that only the best, most protective headgear will meet. the Snell helmet that's 150 may not have the fancy designs or extra vents but it WILL BE SAFE!!!! Or you can buy a 300 dollar DOT rated beautiful graphic nice ventilation and maybe even sponsor names on it and still have it crack open

madskrillz2
06-17-2010, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by DnB_racing
I have looked into it very carefully and I found its not the price, its the SNELL rating! they just dont give that rating to any cheaply made helmet, but you can buy a Snell rated helmet for around 150 and it IS safe. I would stay away from helmets that are only Dot rated! Snell standards are set to levels that only the best, most protective headgear will meet. the Snell helmet that's 150 may not have the fancy designs or extra vents but it WILL BE SAFE!!!! Or you can buy a 300 dollar DOT rated beautiful graphic nice ventilation and maybe even sponsor names on it and still have it crack open

That's what you think

DnB_racing
06-17-2010, 07:34 PM
That's what you think

no its what Ive learned!

DnB_racing
06-17-2010, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by FlewByU352
true but why not spend the extra money and make it comfortable? Also there was a debate on the ratings and having a helmet that doesnt absorb impacts at the speeds we ride can actually be worse than a helmet that would have flexxed or w/e I wanna say SNELL is the one where the helmet is super strong and is meant for real high speeds? Dont quote me on that though. My next helmet is definately goig to be real lightweight, strong, and plenty of airflow. Florida in the summer is just so hot you sweat in the shade if you were naked and a breeze blowing lol

if you want a quality helmet with great ventilation and light weight you cant go wrong with (Arai) an excellent helmet and one of the most comfortable helmets I ever wore, and its cheek pads are made to come off easy if paramedics need to remove it, But you wont find one for under 300

06-17-2010, 07:45 PM
snell is a more complex test and it is harder for a helmet to pass it. But that does not mean a 150$ snell is just as good as a 300+ snell. You will get what you pay for with helmets. They did a bunch of helmet testing. use google.

As for helmets i been running thor force helmets for ever now with no problems. Rockstar helmets are a little fruity for me