PDA

View Full Version : Hotcams Stage 2

tide2085
06-16-2010, 11:49 AM
If i put a hotcams stage 2 cam in my 400ex will i have to change anything else like valves or valve clearance or anything in this matter???

400ex=awesome
06-16-2010, 12:05 PM
you might have to change the valve clearance but you have to take out the decompression thing under the cam its a little cylinder shape object, if you dont take that out it will come out a sease your engine/ lock up

4reeds
06-16-2010, 02:58 PM
clearance goes from 4 intake 5 exhaust to 5 int. and 6 exh.

tide2085
06-16-2010, 09:12 PM
the decompressor thing your talking about is the plunger and spring right and then the decompessor mechanism stays on the stock cam

4reeds
06-16-2010, 10:02 PM
correct

NacsMXer
06-17-2010, 10:24 AM
Run the valve clearance at .005" intake/ .006" exhaust for the break in and couple rides thereafter. After that, you can go back to the stock clearances of .004" intake/ .005" exhaust if you find the Hotcams clearances too ticky sounding (which they will be for most people).

I talked to Hotcams about this and they said it won't hurt anything to go back to stock clearances after break in :macho

TRXRacer1
06-17-2010, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by NacsMXer
Run the valve clearance at .005" intake/ .006" exhaust for the break in and couple rides thereafter. After that, you can go back to the stock clearances of .004" intake/ .005" exhaust if you find the Hotcams clearances too ticky sounding (which they will be for most people).

I talked to Hotcams about this and they said it won't hurt anything to go back to stock clearances after break in :macho X2:chinese:

CarGuy7a
06-17-2010, 07:31 PM

I talked to Hotcams about this and they said it won't hurt anything to go back to stock clearances after break in :macho

No crap???:eek2: I had no idea you could do that. I guess really it wouldn't hurt it's only .001 of an inch difference. Plus it would actually give you a tad more lift.

NacsMXer
06-17-2010, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by CarGuy7a
No crap???:eek2: I had no idea you could do that. I guess really it wouldn't hurt it's only .001 of an inch difference. Plus it would actually give you a tad more lift.

Yep, their reason was that the extra .001" of clearance makes it easier to start the bike since their cams eliminate the decompressor assembly. I'm anxious to see just how much quieter it becomes after I go back to the stock specs. It's a ticky little thing with .005/.006

CarGuy7a
06-18-2010, 01:47 AM
Yep, their reason was that the extra .001" of clearance makes it easier to start the bike since their cams eliminate the decompressor assembly. I'm anxious to see just how much quieter it becomes after I go back to the stock specs. It's a ticky little thing with .005/.006

Oh no doubt. Mine ticks like crazy. It's not bad if you go for a short little ride say about a 1/2 hour but once it gets good and hot, it chatters like crazy.

I thought the reason for a bigger valve lash was so the valves wouldn't tag the piston. But I guess .001 wouldn't do a whole whole lot. You'd probably have to be much more careful with the higher compression domed pistons though.

NacsMXer
06-18-2010, 03:43 AM
Originally posted by CarGuy7a
Oh no doubt. Mine ticks like crazy. It's not bad if you go for a short little ride say about a 1/2 hour but once it gets good and hot, it chatters like crazy.

I thought the reason for a bigger valve lash was so the valves wouldn't tag the piston. But I guess .001 wouldn't do a whole whole lot. You'd probably have to be much more careful with the higher compression domed pistons though.

Yeah most likely. But for the majority of people, there shouldn't be valve to piston clearance issues. Hotcams are higher lift, but aren't exactly "high lift" cams compared to what's out there. I was crossing my fingers when I put the stage 3 in mine since I have GT Thunder's stroker kit with a custom JE piston but all is well. It was sort of uncharted waters if you will lol, nobody's run this combo before that I know of.

I think there is a little room to play with unless you are running super high compression or a decked head/no base gasket. Let's hope the extra .001 of an inch doesn't push me over the edge lol :chinese:

You know what I was just thinking about? I'm rejetting the quad for the new cam right now. Wouldn't jetting at .004/.005" be slightly different than .005/.006" since the valve is opening a tiny bit more? I would think it would run just a little different between the two. That sound logical to you? I think i'm gonna reset the valves to .004/.005" and then jet based off of that. Thanks man ;)

CarGuy7a
06-18-2010, 12:58 PM

You know what I was just thinking about? I'm rejetting the quad for the new cam right now. Wouldn't jetting at .004/.005" be slightly different than .005/.006" since the valve is opening a tiny bit more? I would think it would run just a little different between the two. That sound logical to you? I think i'm gonna reset the valves to .004/.005" and then jet based off of that. Thanks man ;)

Ehh I don't think the jetting would change much just from taking the .001 off the valve lash. .001 is very minuscule. I don't think any jetting change would be needed.