PDA

View Full Version : Didnt want to, but we joined the club

mcwilly
06-16-2010, 09:17 AM
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b221/rx3732/cccd1f0d.jpg

Last lap of his 2nd moto I noticed he had slowed his pace. He wasn’t hitting the jumps hard at all and when he did, I would see dirt fly up from the quad bottoming out. When he made his way back to the truck I noticed the rear end sagging. I thought he blew a shock until I looked underneath to see the break. He snapped the frame, broke the frame bolt that holds the nerf bar, broke part of the rear plastic, destroyed the silencer and put some pretty deep grooves in the ZTR frame saver.
Thankfully he wasn’t hurt and the quad stayed together long enough to keep it that way.

zach R 7x
06-16-2010, 10:45 AM
Welcome to the club!
We learned the hard way also a few years ago.

john willhoite
06-16-2010, 11:20 AM
I feel your pain.

Hurry up you only have 4 days to get it fixed.

See ya this weekend.

greenmachine70
06-16-2010, 01:45 PM
notice the rust in the brek, it was probably happening for a while. We did that last year exactly in the same place and last Saturday night broke it again in front of the cross bar the shock is mounted on pretty badly.

mcwilly
06-16-2010, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by john willhoite
I feel your pain.

Hurry up you only have 4 days to get it fixed.

See ya this weekend.

4 days?! I gotta have it ready by Friday evening! :eek2:
It wouldnt be a race week without some extra stress. :D

mydirtkids
06-16-2010, 06:03 PM
Glad your kid is ok!! Surprises me that the message falls on deaf ears in the Quallity Control department... Just a matter of time before a frame failure gets someone hurt:grr: Would not happen this often if better materials were used in manufacturing :chinese:

Our friends ride harder than mine with stock Apex,,, NO PROBLEMS. Broke ours 3 seperate times now with and without gussets. Heck, the fact gusset kits are even offered speak VOLUMES!!

Again, glad your kid did not get hurt!

greenmachine70
06-16-2010, 06:47 PM
Funny the new Access(European DRR) is gussetted there already, but ours are not.......hmmm
And they come with good shocks.

raidernut
06-16-2010, 08:23 PM
I believe the new models are all coming with gussets. And believe me Apex has there fair share of problems as well.

mydirtkids
06-16-2010, 09:23 PM
I believe the new models are all coming with gussets

This is my whole complaint!!! If the quality of the tubing/design were addressed you would NOT NEED NO STINKING GUSSETS!!! How many name brand (quality) bikes do you see with a thousand band-aids from a 50lb rider???? Someone please-o-please answer me this!!!:mad: :mad: :mad:

They should just hand this thing over to Jody and FourPlay to have a little contest in FRAME OVERHAUL:devil: Yes, I did mean to pick a :macho

I just cant be silent forever... I won't

raidernut
06-16-2010, 10:01 PM
They could do all the upgrades and use chromoly tubing and on and on, but who would buy them for $5000. They do what they do to keep the costs down, and believe it or not more of these machines are sold to your average recreational play rider than to the all out racer.

I believe most peoples frame braking problems are due in part to either not having long travel, or not having it set up properly. We have been racing DRR's for many years, and we race in some of the most brutal of conditions. We run long travel and make sure it is set up correctly. Our frames are gusseted but not as much as many of the people on here have done. We have had very minimal problems with any chassis or frame component breaking.

#404's Dad
06-16-2010, 10:17 PM
Washing and Inspecting is part of Routine Maintenance and it goes a long ways in helping to find problems before they become bigger problems.

mydirtkids
06-16-2010, 10:48 PM
I would have been a happy camper to pay $5,000 and not deal with this...and that..and more of this. We wanted a cobra, but can't race them in our series...not permitted. Yup, I'm sure those have issues too, but don't seem to here complaints about others as much as the DRR. Volume? Maybe.. Im sure you are the same way, I have WAY more than $5,000 in the bike since I bought it THIS March.... Afraid to ask the wife, but I am SURE w/o a DOUBT it is pushing $10,000 as of today. (Been to 4 whole races with it).

If I had all the potential with a product like the DRR, man I would sure listen to the crowd before they moved on!!!! That is what happened down here. All Apex now. We are the ONLY DRR left... Here the brand is getting to be known as a Dealers/Part vendors wet dream. (my welder sure likes it too!!!)

I do think it is a WICKED cool machine that could just use some fresh ideas.

To be honest, it is people at the track and the guys at g-force that stopped me from burning this thing to the ground. Had a nice big bag of marshmallows ready to go!!! (Still in the fridge just in case). On Tuesday I found out I could not get a new JB swingarm here on time. Gary stepped up and took the swingarm off HIS kids bike and shipped it to me.... Now thats how business USED to be!!! THANK YOU GARY!! We wonder why we are in such a mess these days. Take notes people..

zach R 7x
06-17-2010, 04:57 AM
if you were willing to spend $5000 dollars right out of the box, why didn't you contact any of the dealers and ask for one of the full on race build 's that most of them put out?

I know for a fact that just about every dealer offers a full race build ,with frame gussetts and long travel kits.

I for one do not want to spend a initial $5000 to purchase a quad ,would rather build it myself.

JMHO!

T@AFP
06-17-2010, 08:39 AM
It's a simple gusset job. Shouldn't be that expensive or hard to do.

nordic quad
06-17-2010, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by greenmachine70
Funny the new Access(European DRR) is gussetted there already, but ours are not.......hmmm
And they come with good shocks.
Here is the video of our 2010 Access 100R About 54sec.in to the vid you can see the factory fix.
Stein A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nxhlLlWMFc

mcwilly
06-17-2010, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by raidernut
They could do all the upgrades and use chromoly tubing and on and on, but who would buy them for $5000. They do what they do to keep the costs down, and believe it or not more of these machines are sold to your average recreational play rider than to the all out racer.

I believe most peoples frame braking problems are due in part to either not having long travel, or not having it set up properly. We have been racing DRR's for many years, and we race in some of the most brutal of conditions. We run long travel and make sure it is set up correctly. Our frames are gusseted but not as much as many of the people on here have done. We have had very minimal problems with any chassis or frame component breaking.

raider, you have a PM

06-17-2010, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by mydirtkids
This is my whole complaint!!! If the quality of the tubing/design were addressed you would NOT NEED NO STINKING GUSSETS!!! How many name brand (quality) bikes do you see with a thousand band-aids from a 50lb rider???? Someone please-o-please answer me this!!!:mad: :mad: :mad:

They should just hand this thing over to Jody and FourPlay to have a little contest in FRAME OVERHAUL:devil: Yes, I did mean to pick a :macho

I just cant be silent forever... I won't

We have 5 great quality quads that NEVER need to be gusseted. And the frame WONT break. They are called Dinli. Drr quads should be more safe for kids with quality metal for the frame not the cheapest you can find (and cheapest to build and cost the consumers more) and call them race quads. I believe they are BREAKING quads not race quads UNTILL you make them race quads. THIS IS JUST MY OPINION!!! Plus DRR is super small for the average racer. I bought my son one he said sell it dad its way to small again we went with more Dinlis. The only mini we will ever own and they hold up and never have to put any slipper anything on it. Plus you save from all the extra bull crap you have to buy to keep things from breaking. But thats why Drr loves it customers they always keep buying parts from them.;)

raidernut
06-17-2010, 06:06 PM
How much time have your dinlis seen on mx or cross country tracks toby? im sure they hold up fine doing flat track or drag racing. JMO

greenmachine70
06-17-2010, 06:53 PM
How much time have your dinlis seen on mx or cross country tracks toby? im sure they hold up fine doing flat track or drag racing. JMO

Good point, I never had frame problems until my son started clearing huge doubles and tables.
When we raced on a flat clay track we only worried about getting the pipe caved in.;)

greenmachine70
06-17-2010, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by T@AFP
It's a simple gusset job. Shouldn't be that expensive or hard to do.
Nice gusset job, the ones in front of the shock mount or in the battery box area are very important.....trust me I found out this weekend. Also the ones you put on the bottom of the frame in rear corners are very important.

06-17-2010, 07:01 PM
Well considering they were Rhetts Simms quads they have seen so much time on a mx track it isnt funny. Yes these are and were national quads just not as fast as the 2 fast. Seen more mx tracks than your Drr im sure. Just ask anyone who knows Dinlis they know what Im talking about. But to you they are out dated. Well when Dinli started racing the quads todays quads are now reaching where Dinli was in 05 and 06. And in 06 Cole won the mx points series the harescramble and the AMA flat track points championship so we have not always ran flat track. So if you had a Dinli no matter if it was tripples you were clearing it would not break, a 195 lb man can thrash these and it will still be ok. Great machines and way better built than the rest of the minis. And thats a FACT!!!:D :eek2: :eek2: :D

06-17-2010, 07:04 PM

And they seen the tracks as much or more than your Drr too Mark. And again Mark no breaks, and Rhett was a top notch racer. So yes Mark the Dinli is an OUTSTANDING AND THE VERY BEST EVER BUILT QUAD PERIOD!!!! Do some research Mark. Oh yea no slipper nothing also. So again wheres the rest Oh yea slipper everything Mark.

T@AFP
06-17-2010, 07:12 PM
Why do at least 80% of these posts turn into a pissing match or chest beating?
I just don't get it.

06-17-2010, 07:47 PM
Theres no pissing match here Tom. No big deal. But in 05 Dinli had Dc/Max Rpm long travel chromoly +7 a arms and Dc/Max Rpm Round house chromoly swinger and a rear 15 or 16 inch shock what ever you prefered. Long travel a arms 48 inches wide. Its now 2010 and this stuff is now out for Drrs. Im a believer in Dinlis like you, and Mark are into Drrs. Everyone has an opinion and mine is Dinli. Max even said you will never ever have to worry about gussets and slipper stuff. Thats what I was stating till some one said well they will hold up good for flat track and drag racing well it will hold a full grown man on a mx track is what I was stating. They are built for up to 195 lbs. Whats Drr? Just wondering.

raidernut
06-17-2010, 09:42 PM
Wouldnt expect anything less from you Toby, and i wont continue to debate on here with you, i was just pointing out that the quads are used much differently now. When Rhett was racing those bikes they had about 50% less power than we are seeing in 2010, the power output now is ridiculous, more power=farther jumps, harder riding, and harder on components. My engine builder built Rhetts motors, and they basically rebuilt the motors between motos, and constantly had transmissions issues. Tommy almost makes a living by rebuilding Dinli transmissions from people who still own them around the country, So all the minis have their weak link. You have the right to your opinion, and i dont have the time or care to argue with you, but base your information on whats going on now, and not in 2005-2006. I still love you though toby:p

mydirtkids
06-17-2010, 09:50 PM
How many name brand (quality) bikes do you see with a thousand band-aids from a 50lb rider????

They are built for up to 195 lbs. Whats Drr? Just wondering.

It is obvious... 49lbs!!!:D

I do have a new 2010 with gussets and "race" package... HAHAHA. We also purchased a full gusset kit. Cheap metal is cheap metal. The only good metal on the frame are the dang GUSSETS:blah:

I did not want a "pissin match" and this is the first one I have seen on here (new). I just really think this thing is a PIECE!!! (JMHO)!!! I really do not see how people in good conscious defend this thing the way they do:huh Got stock in the company? I thought I WAS THE CUSTOMER?? I am not happy and not going to pretend I am. I am going to try to let him get my $10K out of it though, just can't see spending another $10K to do it. Maybe some miracle will happen (or I will hit my head real hard) and like it again....

THANK GOODNESS for the aftermarket manufacturers for all their R&D, I am happy with all the upgrades thus far...

raidernut
06-17-2010, 10:08 PM
I did not want a "pissin match" and this is the first one I have seen on here (new). I just really think this thing is a PIECE!!! (JMHO)!!! I really do not see how people in good conscious defend this thing the way they do:huh Got stock in the company? I thought I WAS THE CUSTOMER?? I am not happy and not going to pretend I am. I am going to try to let him get my $10K out of it though, just can't see spending another $10K to do it. Maybe some miracle will happen (or I will hit my head real hard) and like it again....

THANK GOODNESS for the aftermarket manufacturers for all their R&D, I am happy with all the upgrades thus far... [/B][/QUOTE]

Please dont take this the wrong way, i dont mean to offend you, but maybe you are doing something wrong? We have been racing DRR's since 2005 and in 6 years i believe we have built 7 of them. We have won 6 National Cross Country championships, 3 Motocross championships, and log about 10,000 miles a year racing year round. I dont think we have had half the problems you have had in the last 90 days. In fact one of our race bikes has an 06 frame, because i prefer the older a arm location and hasnt broken. I know you had admitted to me that you were running long travel front with a stock rear shock and swingarm. I know you have upgraded now, but maybe you waited too long. Our race weekend entails 3 races at 45 minutes a piece, and for the most part we come back in one piece. We have some dumb stuff happen, but most of it can be blamed on our mechanic (me):scary: You just need to start from square one and take the advice from the more knowledgable people on the is forum, and i guarantee you, you wont have the problems you are having now. Take the advice of people like Gary Fallon, Marc smith, Tom Skladzien, Billy Holt, Rich Hetrick, Jerry Havert, Rocky Dusenberry, and Mr. Wotring. These people know how to make these machines reliable and are honest people and wont steer you wrong. Dont be afraid to ask for help.

mydirtkids
06-17-2010, 11:13 PM
Good advice is never offensive. Truth is I am used to big bikes and just a little shocked how different these are. Just irritating (and expensive) learning curve.. Really, I don't think other than the motor, I have anything else I can do to it. Scarry part is I have two of them, just have not had time to complete the other. Buyers remorse? I guess sh-t or get off the pot! This weekend will probably be the determining factor. See our race pics.. or... ebay ad!

Absolutely great list of people you mentioned and they a huge help. These guys must be the most patient people on the planet to survive minis this long:cool:

P.S. Still think its a cheap frame:D

06-18-2010, 05:12 AM
We have the Aluminum air cooled cylinder from Justin which was leading the points in the ATVA nationals in 09 till Malossi and 2 Fast came out. The trannys Tommys doing is putting in the double race gears that are unbreakable and not arguing at all. But im saying if your 2 fast motors were in these there would be absolutely no frame damage. These are the quads to make into a mod.And I love you too Mark!!;) ;) ;) :p

mcwilly
06-18-2010, 09:41 AM
Got my frame fixed (gusseted) yesterday. :blah:

JIM GRACE
06-19-2010, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by #8trx450r
Washing and Inspecting is part of Routine Maintenance and it goes a long ways in helping to find problems before they become bigger problems.

X2 100% look for hairlines

Ouch!! That hurt just to look at the pic

we just put two more bandaid's ( gussets )
this week.

QuadJunkies
06-20-2010, 10:36 PM

Didnt his break recently ? I totally agree with you on the Suspension. When we ran the Zbroz/Exit set up and had it dialed everything was golden.
Once you start getting youth riders that are heavier on them though,they will break .Actually... a few things will .Im sure at some point you will start seeing this with Buddy, if you havent already .lol We had to gussett Brandons heavily. Once we did the breaks quit .
So much is true on the recreational rider for most ATVs... but I would think the DRR and Apex have a huge contribution to the racing scene,more so than any other mini ATV on the market. This area should be considered for sure ,and it sounds like it was .

There is a flip side to gussetts too as you want the frames to be able to flex.
With that said ,tubing could be better . I know me personally would pay a little more for a better frame .
You know whats sad ...?? the Raptor 250s is worse than the minis :p LOL!

And as with ALL quads... nothing will ever eliminate frames from breaking .

QuadJunkies
06-20-2010, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by T@AFP
Why do at least 80% of these posts turn into a pissing match or chest beating?
I just don't get it.

I dont get it either , but Im getting darn tired of it and so is alot of others . :grr:

06-21-2010, 06:32 AM
X2 me too Quad Junkies. It can never be just give your opinion with out the smart @ss getting involved. It always happens. Dont understand it myself. ;) ;)

edwardsp&b
06-21-2010, 08:10 AM
I agree too, the pissin contests are getting kind of old. This type of talk will only turn off new mini riders and parents. Our sport really doesnt need that kind of help right now. So if you want to disagree with someone fine, but dont slam them. Keep the I am better than you, I know more than you talk, to a minimum.

And on the subject that was really the start of this thread, when you race something its going to break. I dont care what brand, what size, if you beat it up enough, and dont maintain it it will break.

On the minis, i dont think they were originally designed for the power we have put in them now. 4 or 5 years ago when they came out they didnt have the kind of power we do now. Match that with cheaper metal in the frame and what we have is what we have.

I can say that on our new bikes, i have been tearing them down after taking them out the box and gusseting and building them. we have not had any frame problems this year.

bryan

nitrofish
06-21-2010, 09:07 AM
Break'n stuff is part of racing. This weekend Jack's quad held up but I broke the frame on my pitbike in practice. :scary: At least I got to enjoy some cool beverages while I watched him race this time. He said I got last. But I disagree, I did not start so does that count as last? I had to clean the trailor.

QuadJunkies
06-21-2010, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by DINLI MAXIRACER
X2 me too Quad Junkies. It can never be just give your opinion with out the smart @ss getting involved. It always happens. Dont understand it myself. ;) ;)

Its time to start understanding because alot of us are sick of your antics.You dont give opinions, you cause trouble !!
They are old and I will make sure you get the boot permanently if you dont stop . Kapeesh ?

I would be embarrassed to be a site member where one could stand me .:o

I dont want to hear all the excuses they will get you know where... I dont want to hear "he started it first and he doesnt get in trouble" . You have been warned more any anyone I know and this section gets the most complaints of any other section.

Im pretty easy going as a mod here but it stops now or the ban button is in full effect.

This topic needs to get back on track or Im closing it down.

#404's Dad
06-21-2010, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
Its time to start understanding because alot of us are sick of your antics.You dont give opinions, you cause trouble !!
They are old and I will make sure you get the boot permanently if you dont stop . Kapeesh ?

I would be embarrassed to be a site member where one could stand me .:o

I dont want to hear all the excuses they will get you know where... I dont want to hear "he started it first and he doesnt get in trouble" . You have been warned more any anyone I know and this section gets the most complaints of any other section.

Im pretty easy going as a mod here but it stops now or the ban button is in full effect.

This topic needs to get back on track or Im closing it down.

A M E N !!!

06-21-2010, 12:39 PM
QuadJunkies you do what you have to do. Your the mod and thats great. As far as you being mad well if some smart @*** is going to be a smart @ss to me well they are getting it back. If you have no respect to talk trash well have enough @SS to take it. You to Corey!!! Shut it down hit your button do what you have to. Cause really I dont care. Im sick of all the favortism anyway.:eek2: :eek2: :eek2: KAPEESH!!!!!

nitrofish
06-21-2010, 12:52 PM
Good stuff on here. Not this stuff, the actual informative things. Sponsors take note, who do you want representing your company?

QuadJunkies
06-21-2010, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by DINLI MAXIRACER
QuadJunkies you do what you have to do. Your the mod and thats great. As far as you being mad well if some smart @*** is going to be a smart @ss to me well they are getting it back. If you have no respect to talk trash well have enough @SS to take it. You to Corey!!! Shut it down hit your button do what you have to. Cause really I dont care. Im sick of all the favortism anyway.:eek2: :eek2: :eek2: KAPEESH!!!!!

Oh I will thats my job on this site . My @$$ has no desire for it ,neither does anyone elses ! This site isnt a TRASH TALK website or maybe even a SMART @$$ website... IF you want one of those -GO BUILD YOUR OWN!!

No one else seems to be laughing ...Dont let the door hit you on the way out .:o