PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth fixing or should I part it out?

Honda5
06-16-2010, 05:22 AM
I have a KFX400 that was taken into a local shop to be repaired for cam chain slap and the shop was never paid so I have it. It did run when it came in but the shop took the top end back off for some reason. I'm just wondering if the parts are worth more then the quad is worth back together. It's about all stock no real good stuff.

Flynbryan19
06-16-2010, 06:41 AM
What was damaged, what needs fixed, and what did you pay for it? Also, what year is it?

YOURADHERE
06-16-2010, 07:21 AM
If Im reading this correctly it was taken in for a new cam chain, right? New cam chains are like $60 and the top end isnt very difficult to put together. I say get it together and try to sell it as a whole. Odds are a) you'll get more $$ and b) parting out can be a hassle.

Honda5
06-16-2010, 07:23 AM
It' a 04' no damage other then being beat around the woods. All the parts are there. The top end was pulled off so the shop could get their bigbore kit back but the oem cyl and wiseco are there. I have $800 in it.

Honda5
06-16-2010, 07:59 AM
I hve had hard time getting the complete story. From what I gather it was in for the cam chain (that's when I heard it run) then it was brought back for the bigbore and never paid for. I don't need another quad and hardly have the time to keep mine running and might just part it.

YOURADHERE
06-16-2010, 08:15 AM
Look at it like this....these are just rough selling prices.

Head $200
Bottom end $300
Frame $300
Subframe $100
Plastics $100
Axle $50
Wheels and tires $150
Misc stuff ~$200

That adds up to about $1400 leaving you with about $600 profit. If you can get it running, and its in decent condition you could get around $2000 for it AND not have to bother with parting out. So you stand to make a little more money and dont have the bother of having 500 parts lying around and having to worry about shipping. I'd get it running and sell it whole, but thats me.

Flynbryan19
06-16-2010, 08:46 AM
Around here an 04' would go for $1200-$1600. I agree. Put it back together and sell it whole. Its alot easier. It could take you months or years to sell all the parts enough to equal up to that amount.

f4istunna
06-17-2010, 08:57 AM
i parted out several z400 and kfx's if you price them right and use ebay it doesnt take long to part out. Ive had quads for sell complete i kept dropping the price on , then parted them out and got more than origninal asking price whole, so it all depends what you wanna do and how much time you have.

sd1
06-17-2010, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by f4istunna
i parted out several z400 and kfx's if you price them right and use ebay it doesnt take long to part out. Ive had quads for sell complete i kept dropping the price on , then parted them out and got more than origninal asking price whole, so it all depends what you wanna do and how much time you have.
I think thats a good advice maybe in a good economy but these days the quad market has tanked.....shipping a frame and a motor is not easy and a big liability insured or not.....I would be surprised if he was able to part out his quad in a years time.....now 2-3 years ago it would take 2-3 months tops...just my 2 cents

f4istunna
06-17-2010, 05:22 PM
times are tougher now but to be honest i find it easier to part them out then sell complete most times. I just parted a few Z's out in the past cpl months only have a cpl little things leftover here and there from each. And like i said usually i end up with more than i was aksing for whole bike... its definately more work and hassle to part them out i agree with that. just a matter of if its worth it to you or not.