PDA

View Full Version : balancer & crankshaft alignment question

rodelikestole
06-15-2010, 08:52 PM
if the gear on the balancer has it's timing mark lined up with the crank gear mark how could timing be off since they both slide on one way? i just reopened the right side to check mine because it vibrates alot. the punchmarks weren't off but i took the gears off and rotated the crank to tdc and lined them back up. it looks just like it does in my clymer manual with punchmarks lined up and the crank keyway facing up. if i still have vibration after this(which i'm betting i will) what could be wrong? balancer bearings? the crank itself?

DWR270
06-16-2010, 08:28 AM
You have all 3 punch marks lined up? One on crankshaft lines up to gear then one on gear lines up to the one on counter balancer gear.

rodelikestole
06-16-2010, 12:26 PM
i should have clarified, i got a 85-6 my crank isn'nt splined it has one groove with a keyway. same with the balancer the gear. i'm going to try putting a impact on the end of the crank while i have the basket off and manually turn it to see if i can find where the vibration comes from.

rodelikestole
06-21-2010, 12:57 PM
ended up using a drill with a 1/2" drive adapter, as revolutions got faster it started to wobble thru the end of the crank and on up the drill :mad:

i have a diffrent lower end on the way. hopefully, i just put my top end and clutch basket on it and i'm good to go.

DWR270
06-22-2010, 07:53 PM
Sounds like a twisted crank. Assuming no up and down play in crank bearings.

rodelikestole
06-23-2010, 01:34 AM
it's pretty much all new crank bearings, piston, oil seals and, clutch. i got it last feb. and the rightside bearings were fried when running you could hear the crank clangin around. i figured changing them would be the end of it but not having the crank checked came back to haunt me.