PDA

View Full Version : best way to skim across water?

DnB_racing
06-15-2010, 03:28 PM
were I ride there is a pond thats about 75' across and Ive allwasy wanted to try to drive across it or more like skim across not slow but fast!aside from leaning back whats the best way to make it across. if I dont make it its about 4' deep in the middle, I want to blast across is it possible?

Dan_Guetter
06-15-2010, 03:39 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oe3St1GgoHQ

Brad77
06-15-2010, 03:39 PM
Make sure your entry into the water is as close to flat as possible and also close to the same level as the water. Want to make the transition from land to water almost seemless. It will require a lot of speed and then like you mentioned. Keep the front as light as possible.
I have never skimmed anything deep. A long time ago I did about 50 foot of water that was about 1 and a half foot deep. Nothing serious, any 4x4 quad could have drove through it easily but I had to try it and was on a race quad with 18 inch rear tires. It worked and I barely even got wet.

trx310R#24
06-15-2010, 03:47 PM
i seen a drunk guy do it at a party a few years ago... =p it can be done.

DnB_racing
06-15-2010, 03:49 PM
do you think if I make a slite up hill incline just prior to the water to lighten up the first few feet would help?

steel1
06-15-2010, 04:29 PM
75' maybe a little bit much for ur first time. 4' depth will kill ur machine in a hurry. like the other guy said u need good wheel spin when u hit the water, land to water transition is the most important. make sure u hit it with the engine rpm's in the right spot as well. Dont want to end ur power band half way across. hold on ive seen the front end dive on a dudes machine he did the superman over the front bars.mines a bit heavy for this kind of fun but i can still get 45 50 ft out of her

KFX450Rrider490
06-15-2010, 07:21 PM
honestly ask scuzz, a member on here, his friend has skimmed over 400 ft on a raptor700 heres a link for the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEx9NFkWV9I

Scro
06-15-2010, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by DnB_racing
do you think if I make a slite up hill incline just prior to the water to lighten up the first few feet would help?

The videos I've seen where people have nose-dived into the water, most were not a smooth transition into the water and had a small lip. I don't think you want to get any kind of air before hitting the water. But, what do I know...I usually just go around any kind of water.:p

atv fan 28
06-15-2010, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by KFX450Rrider490
honestly ask scuzz, a member on here, his friend has skimmed over 400 ft on a raptor700 heres a link for the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEx9NFkWV9I Here is a video i made of Danny, scuzzs friend, skimming with an extra passenger.:macho

If you are really serious about doing long skims rear paddles is a must. Plus you want to run around 1.5 lbs of air in your front tires, to keep the front end on top of the water. Plus you have to be totally committed.:grr:

http://www.youtube.com/user/hondatrx450rguy#p/a/u/2/iMi3lXJ_5E4

DnB_racing
06-15-2010, 08:26 PM
I usually go around or slow through water, but its going to be 90 deg this weekend so I wont mind taking a swim,there are some spots on the pond that arent very long or deep and ill start there, if I get the balls to do it ill see if one of my buddys will film it so eveyone can have a laugh when I act like superman over the bars

atv fan 28
06-15-2010, 08:41 PM
Here is another video(not mine) from the same place. He sure makes it look easy.:eek2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBshWYwELs4

dehner47
06-16-2010, 10:32 AM
well the dudes an @$$hole. he has no helmet on, no gear and skimming his quad at over 70mph. and with lil kids watching. ya hes a real roll model.

and to have the kids go underwater while he does it is an accident waiting to happen. not impressed at all. cause i have see dudes do that for years. and have watched a few go wrong. dude deff could use a helmet..

BlaineKaiser450
06-16-2010, 04:47 PM
Hes wearing sandals too. Nice. :rolleyes:

DnB_racing
06-16-2010, 05:21 PM
he doesn't want to get his riding boots or helmet wet if he doesn't make it! Do you think a full skid plate will help at all?

atv fan 28
06-16-2010, 06:41 PM
At least he was wearing his helmet and a life jacket in this video.:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffuLdU4ifDc

06-16-2010, 06:47 PM
I will say this, if you hit a sand bar or hit land uneven, your ****ed. I now from experience lol I used to love water crossing till the day I hit a sand bar that was covered by a few inches of water, it wasnt far enough down where I would completely pass over it. Straight axles + one side getting traction, turned me sdeways and flung me off so fast I didnt know WTF happened. Woke up in the water, luckily it was only for a second I was out. Got up and was like you gotta be kidding me and started laughing. I was so close to the end lol

dehner47
06-17-2010, 07:17 AM
he doesn't want to get his riding boots or helmet wet if he doesn't make it!

for real dude!!! i really hope that is a joke. cause thats the lamest excuse ive ever heard for not wearing a helmet and or gear. gear, no big deal. helmet, he just asking to have his head split open..

DnB_racing
06-17-2010, 07:22 AM
Originally posted by dehner47
for real dude!!! i really hope that is a joke. cause thats the lamest excuse ive ever heard for not wearing a helmet and or gear. gear, no big deal. helmet, he just asking to have his head split open..

OF COURSE ITS A JOKE!!! its called sarcasm

The question of that post was about a full body skid plate, if it will help?

I dont know that guy! im just thinking about trying to cross a pond were I ride this weekend, Its supossed to be real hot here and if I dive over handel bars (with my helmet on) I wont mind,

OutlawBill
06-17-2010, 08:11 AM
best way to cross water is in a boat :blah:

DnB_racing
06-17-2010, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by OutlawBill
best way to cross water is in a boat :blah:

maybe but there's no fun in that!
besides my quad doesn't have a trailer hitch to get it to this pond!

OutlawBill
06-17-2010, 01:32 PM
maybe but there's no fun in that!
besides my quad doesn't have a trailer hitch to get it to this pond! And I have seen a drag boat at the dunes so what ever work and you sat safe and dry.

John Noftsinger
06-19-2010, 09:53 AM
When you hit water ,hit it at 5th gear 1/2 throttle and push in throttle as you cross ,lock arms straight butt back on seat and when you hit its going to pull your weight forward so keep arms locked with throttle floored see how far you go ! would do in shallow water first to learn from then the pond (if it doable).

bens250ex
06-20-2010, 10:34 AM
a good bit of the people the rid at wiggins, ms dont ride with any gear...... go to there website and see pics of people drag racing fully built drag bikes on NOS ....wearing no gear:rolleyes:

06-20-2010, 04:33 PM
best way with power is a fan/air boat. Best way on foot, skim board. lol