PDA

View Full Version : stuck swing arm bolt

KDracing
06-15-2010, 03:09 PM
i finally decided to do the swing arm bolt on my 03 400ex and after beating the hell out of it and soaking it in PB blaster i decided that the only way its coming out cutting it. i have both sides of the swing arm bolt cut by the frame and obviously need to cut it two more times on either side of the motor mount to remove the arm, i used a 4.5" angle grinder and sawsall to make the first two cuts but can't figure out what to use to make the cuts by the motor mount there just isn't enough room to get anyhting in there with out damageing anything else. i have searched and read that alot of people have wound up cutting the bolt so i know it can be done.

thanks for your help

4reeds
07-01-2010, 09:00 PM
I put my bike on its side,hosed it with wd 40 and then used a socket extention and a 2lb beater. 3 wacks and it came right out.take the weight off the bolt and its pretty easy.

400exrider707
07-03-2010, 10:20 AM
The problem is aside from them bending, they also seize in the spacers. I cut mine out of my 450R with a torch. Once it's cut it slid right out no problem.

Before I torched it, I was using an impact to turn the bolt, someone was heating the bolt and someone was beating the other end with a hammer, it still wouldn't budge. Some of them just simply will not come out.

I replaced that one in my 450R with another OEM one that I had Ken (pappy) molycoat. It held up fine and never seized in there again.

3racers
07-04-2010, 06:58 AM
We used a dremel with thin cut off wheels cut the spacers spun the bolt cut other side takes awhile ,but got it out.