PDA

View Full Version : Roost Protestors?

demon rider
06-15-2010, 02:33 PM
Hello, I'm looking for something to help protect my chest/back in the event I have to bail off my bike. So far from what i've sceen on various sites, they're called "roost protectors." Is this to be taken for what it is or is it also good in the event you bail. The product that i'm really interested in is the Thor Sentinel Protector. Does anyone have any experience with this product? If this is no good what would you recommend?

Brauap
06-15-2010, 02:50 PM
A Roost Deflector is the same concept as a Chest Protector.. just they had to cover their butts in case anyone had gotten hurt wearing a "protector."

I have an EVS Flux Roost Protector.. very comfy under-jersey protector. It will keep some hurt away if you take bars, sticks, etc to the chest or will also help if you fall off onto a rock or a log.. (I broke a rib by falling off a TTR125, moving about 10mph.. I just landed at a bad angle on a log and it snapped it.. I wouldn't have if I would have been wearing my protective gear! I highly recommend you getting one! You'll be happy you did!

lasher45
06-15-2010, 03:02 PM
I have the Troy Lee Designs Body Guard 2 Chest Protector (Roost Deflector) and I wear it every time I ride. Even if I'm just messing around in the yard I put it on.

Like Brauap said, all it takes is one good hit, even at slow speeds, and you can break a bone. I've taken hits and fallen with it and without it. And trust me, you feel alot better afterwards if your wearing it.

Personally I love the look of the Troy Lee Designs Body Guard 2, but it's more of a personal preference. Almost all Roost Deflectors/Chest Protectors have around the same amount of protection.

It's definitely a good investment to buy one, especially if you ride a lot....Taking a rock to the chest is not fun :ermm:

Brauap
06-15-2010, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by lasher45 Personally I love the look of the Troy Lee Designs Body Guard 2, but it's more of a personal preference.

Plus if you get the under-jersey version like mine.. it looks kinda bad ***.. haha Like your a football player on a bike! ha

Originally posted by lasher45 It's definitely a good investment to buy one, especially if you ride a lot....Taking a rock to the chest is not fun :ermm:

Or when your buddy ahead of you moves a 2in (dia.) branch away from him and lets it go and it smacks you right in your chest! hahaha

Dirtjunkie85
06-17-2010, 11:57 AM
i wear a Thor Sentinel chest protector. i like it because it has good protection but doesn't make me feel like i cant move around while riding chest protector (http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/search.do?keyword=+Sentinel+)

slightlybent47
06-17-2010, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by Brauap
A Roost Deflector is the same concept as a Chest Protector.. just they had to cover their butts in case anyone had gotten hurt wearing a "protector."

I have an EVS Flux Roost Protector.. very comfy under-jersey protector. It will keep some hurt away if you take bars, sticks, etc to the chest or will also help if you fall off onto a rock or a log.. (I broke a rib by falling off a TTR125, moving about 10mph.. I just landed at a bad angle on a log and it snapped it.. I wouldn't have if I would have been wearing my protective gear! I highly recommend you getting one! You'll be happy you did!

To my knowledge there is not a good chest/roost protector that will protect the ribs, they do very good on the front and back but not the sides.
And yes I do recommend some type of protection. The only recommendation is that you make sure it will fit over a neck brace if you decide to get one later.

bbender85
06-28-2010, 09:59 AM
i've been tossing around the idea of wearing one for MX, but i've heard so much about how it increases the risk of breaking a collarbone... and i -personally- know three people who have broken their clavicle, all three of which were wearing one.

therefore i think i want to run one of the soft uner-the-jersey units. any insight?

blaster12s
06-28-2010, 01:12 PM
i will always run one because i crashed once and ended up crackin one completly in half so that would of been my body if i wasnt werin one

mjc597
06-28-2010, 01:28 PM
i've always worn one wether i was racing bikes or quads. i'm currently wearing a troy lee designs chest protector.not sure of the model..but it's all red in color.and it fits great with my leatt brace. i personally prefer the protectors with the shoulder pieces in case you fall off and hit on your shoulder,but thats just me..

slightlybent47
06-28-2010, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by bbender85
i've been tossing around the idea of wearing one for MX, but i've heard so much about how it increases the risk of breaking a collarbone... and i -personally- know three people who have broken their clavicle, all three of which were wearing one.

therefore i think i want to run one of the soft uner-the-jersey units. any insight?

The helmet is the culprit here, wear a neck brace and the chances go way down.