PDA

View Full Version : Can someone please answer me this question? (Ford Powerstroke)

Brauap
06-15-2010, 11:34 AM
1) What year did they start putting turbo's on the Powerstroke from the factory? Or did they always come with a turbo?
ANSWERED: 1994.5 = Option ; 1995+ Standard

2) Are there any year Powerstrokes that come with a solid front axle instead of the TTB front end?
ANSWERED: F250's = TTB ; F350's = Sold Axle

3) Are the mid-late 90's Powerstrokes any good or where there many problems associated with them?

4) What kind of gas milage could someone expect with:
Mid 90's Powerstroke (TD)
35x14.50 tires
Cold Air Intake
Stacks
Chip

Thank You so much guys!
Colton W.

hondariderdylan
06-15-2010, 11:38 AM
i dont know a whole lot about the older powerstrokes but i do know that they came in the F-250 and 350 and the F-350 came with a solid axle, 250s had TTB.

ben300
06-15-2010, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by Brauap
What year did they start putting turbo's on the Powerstroke from the factory? Or did they always come with a turbo?

Are there any year Powerstrokes that come with a solid front axle instead of the TTB front end?

Are the mid-late 90's Powerstrokes any good or where there many problems associated with them?

What kind of gas milage could someone expect with:
Mid 90's Powerstroke (TD)
35x14.50 tires
Cold Air Intake
Injectors
Stacks
Chip

Thank You so much guys!
Colton W.

...aaahhhhhh...to be 15 again.................

Brauap
06-15-2010, 01:16 PM
Does anyone have any other information?

OutlawBill
06-15-2010, 01:24 PM
1994 first turbohttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Power_Stroke_engine

06-15-2010, 01:28 PM
A diesel wouldn't make any power with out a turbo....... :huh

Brauap
06-15-2010, 01:42 PM
It kind of sounds like the first Powerstroke where dogs.. where they? 250HP in such a heavy truck? Does anyone have any other information that can back that up being how Wiki can be sort of BS sometimes..

06-15-2010, 01:52 PM
Diesels are about torque more than hp.

Ruby Soho
06-15-2010, 01:56 PM
before 1994.5 they were 7.3 IDI diesel engines. they came with 2 options non turbo or turbo. either way it was an indirect injected diesel. it will last forever but its a slow truck.

1994.5 the 7.3 direct injected turbo diesel came out. that was the same untill 96 with the 15 hpop. 97 they changed to the 17 which is a lot better.

the f250s had dana 50 TTB front ends, and the f350s had a solid dana 60.

extremely reliable trucks. things go wrong (injector o rings, turbo etc..) but for example my buddy has a 95 with 300k on it now, that has been through hell and back so many times i cant count. still running strong

Ruby Soho
06-15-2010, 01:58 PM
It kind of sounds like the first Powerstroke where dogs.. where they? 250HP in such a heavy truck? Does anyone have any other information that can back that up being how Wiki can be sort of BS sometimes..

they didnt make 250hp. my late 99 (which has larger injectors, turbo, other upgrades that make it better than the OBS) makes maybe 225-235hp stock and around 500ft/b of torque.

steel1
06-15-2010, 02:08 PM
pre 88 was the 6.9 liter poo engine.88-89 to 93 was 7.3 diesel 185 hp not a race car but torque out the yang. mine was standard in first with no throttle it would climb almost a 45 degree angle. 94 had the factory turbo option. 95 to 2002 7.3 turbo about 230 hp was the golden age of the power stroke. mid range power but was dependable for the most part. in 2003 they changed to the 6.0 much more horse power and torque 340 hp and 575 lbs torque. had problems with them in 03 but smoothed out in 04. 2004 was the last year for the solid front axles with leaf springs. cheaper to lift. i wouldnt buy a lifted truck unless they have detailed service records.Buy a truck off grandpa, f350 lift it urself. u never know what the old owner did to that thing

Kickstarts-suck
06-15-2010, 02:16 PM
What Ruby Soho said. :cool:

You keep asking about gas mileage.. If you are so concerned about it I would NOT be looking at a 4x4 truck on 35s.Maybe a 4x4 ranger would be better for you.

Brauap
06-15-2010, 02:37 PM
Another question: Injectors..

My father has an 02 Powerstroke.. and he is wanting to beef it up.. are there any good injectors out that where you don't have to spend 2 friggin grand for to get 100HP? Are they even worth it or should he just get one of those 6 option chips where he can decide between MPG, Towing, or Power? I love his truck! 160 some-odd thousand miles and not a lick of trouble! Bone stock though..

_______

Does anyone have any ideas on possibly what kind of MPG I could expect from the mods I listed on the first page?

ben300
06-15-2010, 02:54 PM
Another question: Injectors..

My father has an 02 Powerstroke.. and he is wanting to beef it up.. are there any good injectors out that where you don't have to spend 2 friggin grand for to get 100HP? Are they even worth it or should he just get one of those 6 option chips where he can decide between MPG, Towing, or Power? I love his truck! 160 some-odd thousand miles and not a lick of trouble! Bone stock though..

_______

Does anyone have any ideas on possibly what kind of MPG I could expect from the mods I listed on the first page?

http://www.competitiondiesel.com/

if your so worried about gas milage, buy a ****ing prius..

steel1
06-15-2010, 03:20 PM
Injectors will cost u no matter what. For those mid 90's or early 2000's trucks it will cost a bundle for a hundred more HP. Injectors for my 04 +80 hp are about $1500 US each and there is 8 of them. To start focus on exhaust, air intake, and some kind of chip or VDI. If u got bigger tires go for gearing. Or buy a newer truck. I have an 04 stock about 335 Hp, with just the chip i gained 88 extra HP, 4" inch straight pipe and air aid cold air intake. pushin 450 HP now about 780lbs torgue. Dont over do it or u will just have to pay for costly repairs. Mine has been good to me. ball joints suck though. As for fuel it uses less now belive it or not.......as long as u keep it under 2000rpm

CJM
06-15-2010, 05:33 PM
Carry a cam position sensor and the 8mm ratchet, socket and extension to do it.

Brauap
06-15-2010, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Carry a cam position sensor and the 8mm ratchet, socket and extension to do it.

Please explain.. who was this dicrected towards and what was this information answering..

Thanks! :)

CJM
06-15-2010, 07:07 PM
Please explain.. who was this dicrected towards and what was this information answering..

Thanks! :)

http://www.ford-trucks.com/article/idx/0/144/article/How_to_change_the_Camshaft_Position_Sensor_on_a_73 _Power_Stroke_Diesel.html

The cam pos. sensor fails alot on the PSD, all years PSD pretty much. Non powerstrokes dont often have issue.

Basically it will go bad for no real reason and people carry it and the tools to change it on the road cause of that. Def do it been there and done it myself.

ETA: its a 10mm socket you need according to the article.

400exrider69
06-15-2010, 09:01 PM
yep in 94.5 and up is a ford powerstroke they made factory tubo idi's in 92 93 and very few in 94.

YFZ-DunerUtah
non-tubo'd fords make pretty decent power it's only 180 ish but they pull them selves quit well my grand father bought an 86 f-350 6.9 4sp and pulled a pretty big international dozer on a 32ft gooseneck for years thru some very dangerous hills

Brauap
i've never really been in a doggie diesel at the construction/farm i work for i drive a 96 f-350 powerstroke zf5 once you get turbo spooled up over 1800 rpm it's a beast with trailers on and just regular driving it's a blast

unless your really lookin for a monster trailer puller or something where you gonna need the torque and horse power personally i'd pick the slow idi parts are cheaper there very reliable and are pretty powerfull for the era of trucks they are

for the setup on the powerstroke you mentioned i'd guess 17mpg

the truck i have is an 89 3/4 4wd 7.3 idi 5sp and i get 18-19.4 mpg running it about 2000rpm up till 4th then 55 down the high way 90% of the time i'm very happy with my ride and i'm saving money over a newer fancier truck i turned down

bens250ex
06-15-2010, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by Ruby Soho
before 1994.5 they were 7.3 IDI diesel engines. they came with 2 options non turbo or turbo. either way it was an indirect injected diesel. it will last forever but its a slow truck.

1994.5 the 7.3 direct injected turbo diesel came out. that was the same untill 96 with the 15 hpop. 97 they changed to the 17 which is a lot better.

the f250s had dana 50 TTB front ends, and the f350s had a solid dana 60.

extremely reliable trucks. things go wrong (injector o rings, turbo etc..) but for example my buddy has a 95 with 300k on it now, that has been through hell and back so many times i cant count. still running strong

im pretty sure they switched to 17 hpop in late 99, considering the early 99 still have 15 hpop. i love my E99 not the biggest fan of the 4r100 behind it though. i also use to have a 87 f-250 6.9 it was a beast but slow. you would have to replace alot of parts its you want to make trips and everyday drives enjoyable. older trucks are going to need more attention to the normal wear iteams.

smr
06-16-2010, 07:02 AM
Originally posted by steel1
pre 88 was the 6.9 liter poo engine.88-89 to 93 was 7.3 diesel 185 hp not a race car but torque out the yang. mine was standard in first with no throttle it would climb almost a 45 degree angle. 94 had the factory turbo option. 95 to 2002 7.3 turbo about 230 hp was the golden age of the power stroke. mid range power but was dependable for the most part. in 2003 they changed to the 6.0 much more horse power and torque 340 hp and 575 lbs torque. had problems with them in 03 but smoothed out in 04. 2004 was the last year for the solid front axles with leaf springs. cheaper to lift. i wouldnt buy a lifted truck unless they have detailed service records.Buy a truck off grandpa, f350 lift it urself. u never know what the old owner did to that thing

actually 2003 was a split year. You can get a 2003 with the 7.3 or the 6.0.

smr
06-16-2010, 07:04 AM
Originally posted by Kickstarts-suck
What Ruby Soho said. :cool:

You keep asking about gas mileage.. If you are so concerned about it I would NOT be looking at a 4x4 truck on 35s.Maybe a 4x4 ranger would be better for you.

I get a kick out of this everytime I see somebody post something like this. A 4x4 ford ranger is not gonna get even close to what a 7.3 can do on fuel millage. People think the smaller trucks get better millage and that's just not the case.

Brauap
06-16-2010, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by smr
I get a kick out of this everytime I see somebody post something like this. A 4x4 ford ranger is not gonna get even close to what a 7.3 can do on fuel millage. People think the smaller trucks get better millage and that's just not the case.

This is why I am looking into getting a mid-late 90's F350 (Short Bed, Reg Cab to keep it small and "light") DIESEL BABY! :devil: :devil:

destey
06-16-2010, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by YFZ-DunerUtah
A diesel wouldn't make any power with out a turbo....... :huh

Half our farm tractors don't have turbos. Hard to find diesels nowadays that don't have turbos, but it used to be for only high end.

Ruby Soho
06-16-2010, 01:49 PM
dont even bother getting injectors. late 99+ have 160cc injectors which you can squeeze well over 300hp out of. OBS are more limited but you can still get power out of them. its all about tuning. on an OBS update your fuel system along with a tune and your pretty good to go for awhile

look into DP tuner, PHP, Tony Wildman, Gearhead automotive, Beans Diesel etc..

Ruby Soho
06-16-2010, 01:53 PM
This is why I am looking into getting a mid-late 90's F350 (Short Bed, Reg Cab to keep it small and "light") DIESEL BABY! :devil: :devil:

your not going to find a short bed regular cab powerstroke. they're big heavy trucks don't look to save weight. mine ways close to 10k. granted its an extended cab long bed super duty.

your not going to get the greatest mileage out of it. a tune with an econ channel will help but other than that but like i said earlier i cant stress enough....

DO NOT put a superchip, edge, diablo, or anything like that on it. your wasting your time and the length of your engines life

CJM
06-16-2010, 04:38 PM
Yea good luck finding a shortbed reg cab, if they exist I have yet to see one unless it was custom done.

Expect depending on how much stupid sulfur is in the diesel to get between 12-17mpg.

How do I know this:

I had considered buying an older 95-97 powerstroke. They are VERY $$$ for a usually very beat up truck. Oh they say its a diesel it lasts a long time. YES, THE ENGINE DOES! But not the trans, all the rubber bushings, linkages, etc which always need to be replaced.

The tout of the diesel is it gets decent mpg for a very heavy truck, has tons of power and just drives different. If you dont use it for work then imho its really a waste cause a gas engine can have more than enough power (IE ford 5.4L is no slouch I drive a 5.4L 250 van everyday with 3k loaded in it with no issues) and is much cheaper and easier to work on for many.

Im not talking you out of it, but consider all the factors. I just bought a used 94 F250 5.8L gas HD. It needs work but I got it for a deal imho, and what I save fixing it up and such I am ahead in the long run period saving money on things like the 15qts of oil a diesel needs, injectors, transmissions (4R100 is not that good, find the zf stick if you can!), etc. Not to mention SUPER easy to find parts and I could always slap a cummins in there down the road and easy make close to if not more power than a stock and even somewhat modified IH diesel.

So consider everything before you go all gung ho into it.

Kickstarts-suck
06-16-2010, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by smr

Well a 4x4 ranger will get better than a 90s F350 on 35s. Obviously he wants a 4x4 truck but every thread he makes he is concerned about gas mileage. So if gas mileage is such a concern I wouldn't be looking into a 90s F350.
My dad has owned 2 4x4 rangers and we have had a few 7.3 F250s in the family also.

OP: There isnt a regular cab shortbed F2-350 . They are longbeds. Still not going to be a light truck no matter what.

hondariderdylan
06-16-2010, 05:04 PM

ford fullsize trucks are not light when they are lifted or otherwise. ever.

go look up how much those 35's weigh compared to the 31's i think it is, that it should have originally came with. Plus all the other things to go with it. (bigger brakes=more weight, lifts are not aerodynamic or light=bad for mpg's, gears cost money and are a must for larger tires so you dont fry your tranny or overwork your motor)

i say buy this truck and drive it on weekends and to play with. for work, travel, etc. get a prius

:p

witech
06-16-2010, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Yea good luck finding a shortbed reg cab, if they exist I have yet to see one unless it was custom done.

Expect depending on how much stupid sulfur is in the diesel to get between 12-17mpg.

How do I know this:

I had considered buying an older 95-97 powerstroke. They are VERY $$$ for a usually very beat up truck. Oh they say its a diesel it lasts a long time. YES, THE ENGINE DOES! But not the trans, all the rubber bushings, linkages, etc which always need to be replaced.

The tout of the diesel is it gets decent mpg for a very heavy truck, has tons of power and just drives different. If you dont use it for work then imho its really a waste cause a gas engine can have more than enough power (IE ford 5.4L is no slouch I drive a 5.4L 250 van everyday with 3k loaded in it with no issues) and is much cheaper and easier to work on for many.

Im not talking you out of it, but consider all the factors. I just bought a used 94 F250 5.8L gas HD. It needs work but I got it for a deal imho, and what I save fixing it up and such I am ahead in the long run period saving money on things like the 15qts of oil a diesel needs, injectors, transmissions (4R100 is not that good, find the zf stick if you can!), etc. Not to mention SUPER easy to find parts and I could always slap a cummins in there down the road and easy make close to if not more power than a stock and even somewhat modified IH diesel.

So consider everything before you go all gung ho into it.
I agree . The base engine on the powerstroke (head and block are very good for the most part. Its everything else that makes them less than impressive from a reliabilty standpoint. Cam sensors,Ipr's,icp's, injector orings, glow plug controllers,countless back pressure tubes and sensor's,turbo crossover pipes constantly burn out, leaking backpressure rod seals, loose turbo housings are just a few of the things that are guaranteed to fail . I dont really complain as repairing powerstrokes is job security and pays for my retirement .
As far as mileage the premium you pay just to get a diesel over a gas and the far higher maintenence you will never get that money back unless you are using it for a business and making money for the first 100,000 miles as a break even point.

Ruby Soho
06-16-2010, 09:18 PM
unless of course its more of a hobby..:D

bens250ex
06-16-2010, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by Ruby Soho
unless of course its more of a hobby..:D

yup an exspensive hobby

flyin#5
06-16-2010, 10:08 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v643/Flyin5/IMG_1316.jpg

7.3's are good motors but like said it the small things. I've spent a lot of time under the hood of my modded 99.5. Glow plug relay's, cam sensor weak so it makes the truck cut out with intermittent wipers! Idiot previous owners breaking glow plug tips off and just running it... and so much more. Recently rebuilt mine due to extreme blowby from high egt's taking out a ring land.

Injectors and tuning are so helpful on these trucks. The earlier ones injectors especially.... let me know if anyone needs them, i have a crazy good hookup.

Only bad thing... once you have a diesel you wont want to go back.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v643/Flyin5/28517_1376321140350_1601490030_3089.jpg

bens250ex
06-16-2010, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by flyin#5
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v643/Flyin5/IMG_1316.jpg

7.3's are good motors but like said it the small things. I've spent a lot of time under the hood of my modded 99.5. Glow plug relay's, cam sensor weak so it makes the truck cut out with intermittent wipers! Idiot previous owners breaking glow plug tips off and just running it... and so much more. Recently rebuilt mine due to extreme blowby from high egt's taking out a ring land.

Injectors and tuning are so helpful on these trucks. The earlier ones injectors especially.... let me know if anyone needs them, i have a crazy good hookup.

Only bad thing... once you have a diesel you wont want to go back.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v643/Flyin5/28517_1376321140350_1601490030_3089.jpg

ohhh soo sexy and so right i couldn't imagine havin a gas burner.....soo what kind of deals we talkin on about injectors?? pm me some info please....wanna rebuild my engine?/:devil:

BlaineKaiser450
06-16-2010, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by flyin#5
[IMG]
Does the hookup include 1st gen Cummins 5.9 injectors?

bens250ex
06-16-2010, 10:31 PM
^^^ i thought cummins injectors were fairly cheap?? i maybe be wrong i haven't looked into them really

flyin#5
06-16-2010, 10:32 PM
No, just modified/rebuilt stock injectors (hybrids)

Ben you have a PM

Ruby Soho
06-17-2010, 07:26 AM
shoot me a pm with info as well please

flyin#5
06-17-2010, 09:49 AM
Ruby Soho- PM box is full

Make sure if anyone is buying a used powerstroke that you pull the cap off the oil filler, then place it upside down over the filler tube. it will vibrate off but if you see it blow off you have a blowby issue. Before i rebuilt mine it was chugging black smoke out of it. I have a crank case vent mod goign to the back of the truck and that would just pour soot when i got on the gas.

Ruby Soho
06-17-2010, 10:19 AM
cleared

steel1
06-17-2010, 08:58 PM
Ive owned almost all the ford diesel models, 1990,96,and and 04. I will never go back to a gas pot. Yes diesel engines cost more in general. but use less fuel(cheaper per gallon too) need the oil changed less, and will last longer......like most stuff u need to take care of it treat it right. Id rather change a trans. or rear end than buy a whole new truck. 4.7's 5.4's gas pots just dont have the jam. I know this. My friend needs me to haul his boat over the mountains up here, cause this 5.4 just isnt up to the task. The problem is every vehical now adays is for the most part going to have problems. I do all my own repairs, if needed. I dont see the fuss if the guy wants to roll with the big boys let him. I researched all the problems that my 6.0 tends to have, and will deal with them when the time comes until then its always been good to me.

steel1
06-17-2010, 09:08 PM
Heres my babies, 2004 F350 short box.

CJM
06-17-2010, 10:33 PM
The right gearing in a gasser will easily pull anything. Ford needs 4.10 and imho 4.30 for the 5.4L to have enough power to haul stuff. Would totally surprise you with a gearset like that.

Really helps if you got a stick too, different trans ratios and keeping it in a real gear helps vs an auto.

Bigger tires kill power too, sure those 33's and 35s look awesome but go back to the 31 or 29s and the power increase is insane cause of less rolling resistance and stress on the drivetrain.

You guys would LOVE to haul the crap I done. How about a tractor trailer on a HD wrecker and going down hills and PRAYING you dont blow the brakes as the thing is PUSHING you down the hill and pulling you down when you tried to drive up it lol.

I have a gas F250 now, plenty happy with it and its the old 5.8L.

steel1
06-17-2010, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by CJM
The right gearing in a gasser will easily pull anything. Ford needs 4.10 and imho 4.30 for the 5.4L to have enough power to haul stuff.

Really helps if you got a stick too, different trans ratios and keeping it in a real gear helps vs an auto.

You guys would LOVE to haul the crap I done. How about a tractor trailer on a HD wrecker and going down hills and PRAYING you dont blow the brakes as the thing is PUSHING you down the hill!!

I have a gas F250 now, plenty happy with it and its the old 5.8L.
Well gears will be alot cheaper than buying a diesel, his truck is an auto so imagine it would be alot better as u say with a stick . He doesnt feel too bad cause it's 28 ft'r and even the 6.0 needs to work on some parts of the mountain roads. Even with the gears he'd still curse cause there is no gas station at the top of the hill.:p

CJM
06-17-2010, 10:48 PM
Im damn sure he would curse there being no station.

28ft'r imho tho is probably better for a diesel just due to the torque the diesels have. But hey ppl lived with gassers before diesels became popular and they somehow did it lol.

My old truck is a toyota t100 (think V6 tundra) and it had the tow package and 4.30 gears. On the hwy it SCREAMS, but I could pull stuff with ease cause of all the torque.