PDA

View Full Version : Oil/Fuel Ratio Problem

CODY_M11
06-14-2010, 12:33 PM
I was running my ratio at 32:1 and had no problems. This weekend i switched to 44:1 and now it falls on its face after half throttle. Should i have to change the jetting just from changing the oil/fuel ratio?
Im running vp c-12 and main at 158 and pilot at 48. stock carb on 310 cylinder and needle in middle with lrd adjustable pipe.

JohnBeton
06-14-2010, 12:36 PM
it is running richer now that you use less oil in your mixture. You're best chance is to rejet.

fearlessfred
06-14-2010, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by JohnBeton
it is running richer now that you use less oil in your mixture. You're best chance is to rejet.

i agree but would do a plug chop reading before making changes and read this article all the way thru. http://airfoolers.com/?page_id=385

CODY_M11
06-15-2010, 12:15 AM
whats plug chopping? i have heard you guys talk alot bout it but never heard what it actually is.

fearlessfred
06-15-2010, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by CODY_M11
whats plug chopping? i have heard you guys talk alot bout it but never heard what it actually is.
it is basicaly running thru all the gears with throttle WIDE OPEN and then pulling in the clutch and shutting off ign. as fast as u can. then take a plug reading. my reason for suggesting this is because none of us know all the varibles on your bike.in other words,i wouldnt want to tell u to lean it out and then u burn a hole in the piston.that is the reason for the plug chop. using the stock carb with that size motor u would think that u need more jetting ,but u will find out that is not true.u will prob. end up on the leaner side of stock jetting

sangheraent
06-15-2010, 12:41 PM
this article kinda threw me off in 2 diffrent points the guy made

1) Race gas? You don’t need it in your two stroke unless you’re a pro or expert, and most expert level riders are on the new generation four strokes.

-im not a pro but i run a race gas mix in all my bikes

2)Additionally. Husqvarna did some testing in the mid 70’s that was very interesting. They put 3 identical stock engines on a dyno and ran them for several days at varying RPM and load conditions. Then both motors were torn down and inspected. The engine running CASTOR based oil had the least wear, followed by the synthetic oil, and finally the engine running standard 2-cycle oil.

-thats like 40 years ago.

fearlessfred
06-15-2010, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by sangheraent
this article kinda threw me off in 2 diffrent points the guy made

1) Race gas? You don’t need it in your two stroke unless you’re a pro or expert, and most expert level riders are on the new generation four strokes.

-im not a pro but i run a race gas mix in all my bikes

2)Additionally. Husqvarna did some testing in the mid 70’s that was very interesting. They put 3 identical stock engines on a dyno and ran them for several days at varying RPM and load conditions. Then both motors were torn down and inspected. The engine running CASTOR based oil had the least wear, followed by the synthetic oil, and finally the engine running standard 2-cycle oil.

-thats like 40 years ago. if u can afford race gas its not gonna hurt the motor. to high of an octane, and performance could suffer. he was just saying if u are not pinned all the time u dont need race gas.
on the oil. i didnt even know they had synthetics in the 70s

rablack21
06-15-2010, 02:30 PM
Amsoil released their first synthetic 2 cycle oil in 1973.

fearlessfred
06-15-2010, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by rablack21
Amsoil released their first synthetic 2 cycle oil in 1973. thanks i didnt know that. i didnt start using synthetics until 2000

rablack21
06-15-2010, 03:04 PM
No Problem. As you can imagine though, the technology of synthetics have gotten amazingly better as years have past.

Dave83
06-17-2010, 09:59 PM
WTH? Your riding ability has nothing to do with the need for race fuel.Engine compression dictates the needed octane levels.Who wrote that article?

fearlessfred
06-17-2010, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by rablack21
No Problem. As you can imagine though, the technology of synthetics have gotten amazingly better as years have past. yea i definitly agree. when i get my old desert sled runnin again, im gonna try the amsoil

fearlessfred
06-17-2010, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by Dave83
WTH? Your riding ability has nothing to do with the need for race fuel.Engine compression dictates the needed octane levels.Who wrote that article?
i dont know who wrote it, but in the paragragh before he stated that all two strokes should run high octane, because the oil in the mix lowers the octane. heat is also a facter in what fuel to run, and i refered to the article to explain ,fuel/oil/jetting