PDA

View Full Version : 2 stroke oil?

THARNESS
06-14-2010, 10:45 AM
I know asking people what kind of oil they prefer is like asking which pipe or engine builder is the best. Everyone has thier preferances. Here's my problem. We have used Bel-Ray H1R mixed at 32-1 for 5or 6 years now with great results. However since I recieved this years supply back in March we have had 4 different cranks lock up. 3 kx 65's and 1 cr85. Is anyone else having an issue with Bel-Ray or am I just lucky. To be fair a couple of the motors had about a years worth af riding on them and mabye it was just time, but a couple of them only had about 7 or 8 races. I'm tired of this and considering changing oils in an attempt to get some relief. Any thoughts?

TTracer#22
06-14-2010, 10:54 AM
Tom,

we switched to amsoil 2 years ago and have had great results.

marsrace2
06-14-2010, 03:43 PM
we also switched this year to Amsoil Dominator at 50:1, no problems and the engines seem to run better.

Logan #34's Dad
06-14-2010, 04:02 PM
Hello Tom,
I'm not sure but one of the major oil companies removed an ingredient from their formula and the oil is now causing your type of problem. I believe they removed the silica. Not real sure on that or if it is Bel-Ray. Ask Rich, he knows.
I have used Amsoil and all is well. A friend of mine that is a former Jap bike mechanic and now a certified Harley machanic at a dealership swears by Amsoil. He told me a story about a Harley w/ a large number of miles on the engine that the owner wanted rebuilt, the owner used Amsoil since the first oil change. He said he took it apart and it did not need anything. Just put new gaskets on it and returned the bike. Since then he swears by Amsoil.

FISH ON!
06-14-2010, 04:22 PM
I'm with the rest......... we ran others but our engine man recommended Amsoil so we switched. It's great stuff, Doesn't load up at the starting line like others and ourr rings last 4-ever. At least give it a try. good luck.

THARNESS
06-14-2010, 04:51 PM
Might be the first time ever that all the replies agreed on the same thing. Thanks for the info guys. I actually talked to the amsoil guy at the track Sunday. 50-1 made me a little nervous. I'll try and get my hands on some before this weekend.

marsrace2
06-14-2010, 05:09 PM
50:1 Made me a little nervous too, but that is what Justin at MAX RPM told me to do with the Amsoil Dominator and since he built the motor I did what he said. On a side note, our motor has 9 Local races and a full national weekend of running 2 classes on it with no loss of compression at all yet.

LT80
06-14-2010, 05:12 PM
As a motor builder, I know when I see a motor that has been run on ::Torco GP-7, Red Line, and the above mentioned Amsoil.
I did run the Amsoil in my 250R.
I'm going back to Torco GP-7.

MAXRPM
06-17-2010, 11:34 AM
Amsoil Dominator
The key with Amsoil and I tell all people willing to switch is mix it 50:1 like you are supposed to or don't run it at all. If 50:1 is good 40:1 is not better, either mix it correctly or don’t run it at all. Some people are scared to run 50:1 it works and plenty of people to confirm it works at that ratio. You will have more engine damage if you run too much oil, it is a full synthetic and it cannot burn properly if too much is used. The excess amount of oil can start to get hot and sticky so anyone thinking of switching, I am all for it but don’t mix it any more than you are supposed to.
The dominator used to be called Series 2000 some people will refer to that name as well but it’s the same oil.
Pay attention at the line some time with guys that run other oils. Listen when they pick it up to clean it out and you will hear a big difference. Other oils may offer just as much protection but they don’t burn as clean and don’t offer as much throttle response off the line.

zach R 7x
06-17-2010, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by MAXRPM
Amsoil Dominator
The key with Amsoil and I tell all people willing to switch is mix it 50:1 like you are supposed to or don't run it at all. If 50:1 is good 40:1 is not better, either mix it correctly or don’t run it at all. Some people are scared to run 50:1 it works and plenty of people to confirm it works at that ratio. You will have more engine damage if you run too much oil, it is a full synthetic and it cannot burn properly if too much is used. The excess amount of oil can start to get hot and sticky so anyone thinking of switching, I am all for it but don’t mix it any more than you are supposed to.
The dominator used to be called Series 2000 some people will refer to that name as well but it’s the same oil.
Pay attention at the line some time with guys that run other oils. Listen when they pick it up to clean it out and you will hear a big difference. Other oils may offer just as much protection but they don’t burn as clean and don’t offer as much throttle response off the line.

I was told this samething about four years ago when we switched to Amsoil,and could not bring myself to do the 50:1 ratio,after Jusin's explanation I think I'll give it a try. Makes sense to me.

mcwilly
06-17-2010, 02:22 PM
I was checking out the Dominator info online and they recommend (two different times) to run 50:1 as well.
I'm currently running 44:1 with Castrol 2-stroke synthetic.
I have to get fuel for this weekend so I'm going to try out the Amsoil....found a dealer close to my house and on my way from work.

gistmarrs
06-17-2010, 03:30 PM
I've been running Klotz R-50 synthetic at 44:1. Nobody else running Klotz?

THARNESS
06-17-2010, 05:11 PM
I got some klotz that I am going to try this weekend, I was unable to find any amsiol that I could get in time.

LT80
06-17-2010, 06:08 PM
I've ran R-50 before. I liked it. I consider it a good oil.

nastynotchback1
06-20-2010, 12:46 PM
what are yall paying for the amsoil per qt?i bought some yesterday at Broadriver after reading this post and they charged me 20.00 for a qaurt.on the amsoil site it is 9 dollars and some change.i said somthing to the lady about it and she says well this is for mixing

and her point is?????

fastrnrik
06-20-2010, 12:52 PM
Its 10 bucks a quart at the local bike shops here.

nastynotchback1
06-20-2010, 01:00 PM
broadd river is the closest place i know to get it.if i like it i will either get them to lower there price or i will just become a retail dealer and put it on the shelf in my shop i guess.i could just pay you to ship me some and still get it cheaper than 20.00 a quart

FISH ON!
06-20-2010, 01:22 PM
wow........ $20 qt !! That was robbery.

Just got my new Amsoil catalog and the current dominator price is $7.20 qt for wholesalers. Pay the $20 a year and you can get it for that price. Should be more in the $9 to $10 per qt from a retailer. At 50:1 you won't go through a qt as fast either.

06-20-2010, 03:33 PM
Thats what I did paid and got it cheaper. But with shipping its 11.40 a quart for Amsoil Dominator. I also run 50:1 as thats what they perfer. Awsome oil for sure.

LT80
06-20-2010, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by nastynotchback1
she says well this is for mixing

and her point is?????

Her point is, is that she needs a lil Captain Morgan to mix with her coke. :D

Shipping is expensive. I bought a gallon of Torco GP-7. At my door was 80 bucks.

tyler70t
06-20-2010, 08:05 PM
We have used Amsoil Dominator for mix and Amsoil Super Shift for our tranny since purchasing our Apex. Not 1 problem yet and we get it for $10 a quart but I am mixing 4 oz to a gallon, what's that 32:1? The motor is now out and @ Wiley Mods for some porting so I will see what Paul recommends me to mix our fuel @ when he is done..

Full Throttle00
07-02-2010, 03:32 PM
Scared :eek2:
Dominator 75:1 & 112 Trick for 2 years same engine, 1 set of rings. Hi comp built engine. It's rated @ 100:1
The best stuff

banditracing
08-02-2010, 01:14 AM
I also run Amsoil Dominator for 5 years in my 2 strokes with "NO" compression loss during the season. We race in Texas with 100 Deg plus temps. Ran it in both AC and LC engines. Then again if it has a engine on it, I have Amsoil in it!!!! If your concern on the price. just become a member and get it shipped to your place at a lower cost.....

quad59
08-03-2010, 07:53 AM
Amsoil or Klotz here. I will admit to being scared to run the 50:1, I may have to try it.

Arctic Cat Dad
08-03-2010, 10:10 AM
Amsoil is the best oil on the market.Hands down, We use to run it in our mini 2 strokes. Amsoil is the ONLY oil we will run in his Honda 300ex. We took his stock 300ex engine and had it built. It had 7 2hr XC races on it and about 20 hrs of hard xc practice. And trust me he runs the guts out if it.The builder couldn't believe it. The cylinder and piston looked brand new and u could still see the crosshatch marks in the cylinder. Now here's the good part I have only changed the oil twice! Why because I trust Amsoil that much!

hasbeenttduner
08-03-2010, 10:54 AM
What exact Amsoil oil are you running in the 300ex?

Arctic Cat Dad
08-03-2010, 11:57 AM
We run 10-30w.

hasbeenttduner
08-03-2010, 12:01 PM
Thanks