PDA

View Full Version : Disadvantages of heavy duty springs?

Quadfather
02-01-2003, 08:42 PM
My 400EX is in for a 416 kit, Hotcams stage II and JE piston. I am also having it ported and polished.I know that the guy doing it is a top notch mechanic, and has done many before. He is adamant about using titanium heavy duty springs with the kit. I am supplyng the parts, so it isn't like he is making money off of selling them to me, by the way. I know the Hotcam claims they aren't needed, and so does he. He says it's more of a preventive maintenance thing, and strongly advises using them, from experience.

If it will help, I'm all for it. But is there any drawback to using them, and NOT running hard faced rockers?

Any and all help appreciated, as always.

Todd
02-01-2003, 09:53 PM
well what i heard is the heavyer valve springs will help your valves follow the altered cam to keep the valves from floating at higher rpm, and as for the hardfaced rockers i dont think it is nessecary for cams that arent hardwelded .
todd

02 Red Rider
02-01-2003, 10:21 PM
I went with the heavy duty springs when I did my 416 under advisement of my engine builder. I could not find any drawbacks and the piece of mind far out weighed the cost. Who's doing your motor?

twisted threads
02-02-2003, 08:56 AM
I got both the hardfaced rockers and the titanium valve spring because if your going to do something big to your bike you shouldn't go half way. I dont like doing things twice! My $.02 on the subject.
Good luck :cool:

trx400ex
02-02-2003, 11:45 AM
Stiffer springs rob horsepower. BUt, in some cases they are needed, in your with the hotcam, i wouldnt get them. The cam isnt hardfaced, nor the rockers, so i wouldnt think it would be to good on them.