PDA

View Full Version : hott plugg

knighttime
11-28-2001, 01:03 PM
What do u guys think of running the DPR9Z (extended high speed riding) instead of the standard DPR8Z plug?

I just installed and broke in the 416 kit with and XR400 cam.

I burned up my standard plug pretty bad this weekend. I am though gonna raise the needle and go to a 165 main jet.

Just looking 2 c if n e 1 is running the hotter plug.

11-28-2001, 01:15 PM
That reminds me,,,I've heard and read that usually you should do that if boring the motor,,forgot all about it,,,because it is a hotter running plug,, I'll email a few people with 416 kits and ask,,,have ya called any engine builders and asked,,like Terry at marcums or maybe TC racing..

knighttime
11-28-2001, 01:30 PM
about maybe trying the hott plugg. None other than exriders.com member VWVR6.

11-28-2001, 01:37 PM
Oh what the heck does he know,,,,he couldn't find his butthole with a funnel...:D J/K Eric

Well at least Eric's rebuild will go much smoother since you volunteered to try it first...Maybe if you start drinkin that more expensive beer you'll start thinkin like him..;)

knighttime
11-28-2001, 02:33 PM
Yeah Eric wasn't sure he was gonna do the rebuild if mine blew up when started. But it ran like a champ, except for some jetting/spark plug issues, but that'll be solved by next week. It's cold and rainy in butler pa now, but I'll have the mofo goin strong soon.

Is your back still flunked up? You must of really hit hard!:confused: :huh :eek:

What kind of medication are you prescribing yourself?:D

11-28-2001, 03:09 PM
Well terry from Marcums called me about 10 minutes ago to tell me the shock, oil, and brake pads were on the way,,so I asked him about your dilima. He uses the 9 plug but only cuz he runs race gas,,no pump gas at all. He said on our setup to stick with the stock plug...so it looks like jetting is your problem. I bet goin up on the main will fix everything.

11-28-2001, 03:11 PM
Well terry from Marcums called me about 10 minutes ago to tell me the shock, oil, and brake pads were on the way,,so I asked him about your dilima. He uses the 9 plug but only cuz he runs race gas,,no pump gas at all. He said on our setup to stick with the stock plug...so it looks like jetting is your problem. I bet goin up on the main will fix everything.

Oh,,,and the back is still really fluked up. still hurts bad,,,I don't see myself riding hard again till at least april or so,,,really sucks for me huh. medication is a 6 pack of bud.;) a night. But with a new rebuilt shock who knows maybe Feb..

Tommy 17
11-28-2001, 03:22 PM
wow we can tell this post about beer i am seeing 2 rico posts :D :D :D :D

Leo
11-29-2001, 05:13 AM
Originally posted by knighttime
What do u guys think of running the DPR9Z (extended high speed riding) instead of the standard DPR8Z plug?

I just installed and broke in the 416 kit with and XR400 cam.

I burned up my standard plug pretty bad this weekend. I am though gonna raise the needle and go to a 165 main jet.

Just looking 2 c if n e 1 is running the hotter plug.

I believe the 9 is a cooler plug, not a hotter plug....

Leo

barbwire44
11-29-2001, 05:40 AM
I beleive you are right leo. The higher number plug is used for long endurance type riding. The hotter plug would be a number 7.

bsr
11-29-2001, 05:49 AM
Does splitFire make a plug for the 400ex ? I was thinking if they do it would be like SF416C

TrX465
11-29-2001, 06:47 AM
i think slitfire does

11-29-2001, 06:53 AM
Yeah the number 9 plug is a cooler running plug,,,I also asked Terry that,,,sounds like the 9 plug is fer some race gas....varoom..:D

oynot400
11-29-2001, 08:11 AM
I was told that changing to a hotter or cooler plug was another way to compensate for jetting. My engine guy told me to stick with the stock plug and change the jetting. ;)

out4sand
11-29-2001, 10:29 AM
9's are a cooler plug and like oynot400 said you can compensate with a plug change rather then a jet change but changing your jet is always the best way to go. I would guess that Terry is running the 9 with race gas to try and keep his motor running cooler because he has the power needed to do so. Believe it or not race gas actually burns cooler then normal pump gas, an added bonus.

http://out4sand.tripod.com

MOFO
11-29-2001, 03:21 PM
<chiming in a little late>

LOL Rico & Knighttime....sure, pick on me while I'm not online... :D

Anyways, yep....my plan worked out perfect....let Mike figure out all the small details, then my 416 should turn out perfect...J/K Mike... ;)

Hopefully I'll order this kit next week sometime....

Eric