PDA

View Full Version : What do you guys think of this dirtbike?

Canadian144
06-13-2010, 07:32 PM
What do you guys think about this?

http://porthuron.craigslist.org/mcy/1737076692.html

It's quite a drive, and I'd have to deal with taking it across the border .... plus I'd have to get my dad to NOT be busy for a day so we could head down there.

I think it's a really good deal though... I'm sure it's WAY too much bike for someone who had never rode a dirtbike before, but I'd bring it back up, fix it up, and then ride my friend's old TTR 125 for a bit until I got the basics down.

Hondamaster5505
06-13-2010, 07:45 PM
I love katoomers.

Never too much bike. You'll fall on your *** a few times but you'll get used to it. "You control the throttle"

After only riding a rm85 for 10 minutes, (And im HORRIBLE on bikes) months later I hopped on a 08 crf250r and was fine. A couple close calls, but I got fairly used to it in no time. Granted it's not a 250 2-stroke, but still potent for having NO experience on a bike whatsoever.

Buy it and ride it, just be easy on the throttle.

Canadian144
06-13-2010, 07:47 PM
Alright sounds good.... just need a loan from my parents (I have about $800 right now) and for my dad to drive me to get it haha...

I jumped on my LTR450, with the only prior riding experience being a 90cc kid's ATV for 2 months the previous summer haha.

Hondamaster5505
06-13-2010, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by Canadian144
Alright sounds good.... just need a loan from my parents (I have about $800 right now) and for my dad to drive me to get it haha...

I jumped on my LTR450, with the only prior riding experience being a 90cc kid's ATV for 2 months the previous summer haha.

Exactly, pretty much the same thing. Just wear gear and be prepared to bite it a couple times, im sure if I had a bike more then a day I would. lol. They're addictingly fun when you first experience em.

Just make sure the guy has the title. Almost seems a little fishy. If he has the title then go for it!

Canadian144
06-13-2010, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by Hondamaster5505
Exactly, pretty much the same thing. Just wear gear and be prepared to bite it a couple times, im sure if I had a bike more then a day I would. lol. They're addictingly fun when you first experience em.

Just make sure the guy has the title. Almost seems a little fishy. If he has the title then go for it!

Alright... I'll have to figure out how to get "prepared" lol!

And yeah I'll make sure he has it... I haven't told my parents I want to buy a bike yet so I'll have to make sure they're ok with it (I can't see them not being though). I have 2 exams tomorrow, then I'm basically done school (after exams returned), so I'll try to talk to them this week.

I'll also have to replace the clutch...

I'm thinking of bringing it up and selling it actually... I found someone selling the SAME bike elsewhere in Ontario, but this one has a green plate, meaning you can ride it on the road. I would just green plate the 250SX I'm looking at right now, but Ontario stopped letting you do that in 2008 haha. I could easily sell the bike for the same price (or more) than what the guy is asking for the road legal one.

Hondamaster5505
06-13-2010, 08:00 PM
Alright... I'll have to figure out how to get "prepared" lol!

And yeah I'll make sure he has it... I haven't told my parents I want to buy a bike yet so I'll have to make sure they're ok with it (I can't see them not being though). I have 2 exams tomorrow, then I'm basically done school (after exams returned), so I'll try to talk to them this week.

I'll also have to replace the clutch...

I'm thinking of bringing it up and selling it actually... I found someone selling the SAME bike elsewhere in Ontario, but this one has a green plate, meaning you can ride it on the road. I would just green plate the 250SX I'm looking at right now, but Ontario stopped letting you do that in 2008 haha. I could easily sell the bike for the same price (or more) than what the guy is asking for the road legal one.

haha anything works. If you were to sell it, I would pick up a 250f to be honest. The 250 2-strokes are FAST but the 250f makes for an awesome all-around beginner bike. I truly never liked a 4-stroke so much until i rode one. So broad and rev-happy.

Canadian144
06-13-2010, 08:07 PM
haha anything works. If you were to sell it, I would pick up a 250f to be honest. The 250 2-strokes are FAST but the 250f makes for an awesome all-around beginner bike. I truly never liked a 4-stroke so much until i rode one. So broad and rev-happy.

Yeah I guess I could look around for a 250F... it's just I figure that the two stroke would be a lot less in terms of maintenance costs. I'd look into it anyways though...

My friend used to have a 250 SXF and that thing ripped... but he bent the valves and then sold it and bought a CBR125 :huh

Hondamaster5505
06-13-2010, 08:10 PM
Yeah I guess I could look around for a 250F... it's just I figure that the two stroke would be a lot less in terms of maintenance costs. I'd look into it anyways though...

My friend used to have a 250 SXF and that thing ripped... but he bent the valves and then sold it and bought a CBR125 :huh

Don't get me wrong, i'm a 2-stroke guy through and through. Just something about the 250f I fell in love with.

They are pretty high maintenance though. I forgot about that factor because the kid never rides it, so it's still literally new.

You can't go wrong either way. I would look into the KTM300XC's too, 300cc 2-stroke. They have a more mellow powerband though, and can be ported to be more aggressive down the road.

k4f5x0r
06-13-2010, 09:18 PM
Go for the 250 2 stroke. Things are piles of fun and little to no maintenance.

As for getting the feel of the bike, i started off in sand. I mean i practiced up and down a hard pack dirt road to get the feel of the bike down, but to practice berms and those kind of things, go for sand. Once your fast in sand, hard pack is the greatest thing ever :p

Canadian144
06-13-2010, 09:49 PM
Don't get me wrong, i'm a 2-stroke guy through and through. Just something about the 250f I fell in love with.

They are pretty high maintenance though. I forgot about that factor because the kid never rides it, so it's still literally new.

You can't go wrong either way. I would look into the KTM300XC's too, 300cc 2-stroke. They have a more mellow powerband though, and can be ported to be more aggressive down the road.

True... I never got to ride my friend's 250f ... but next weekend I'm hopefully doing some riding with my friend who has an 08 Kawi KX250F, he says he wants to swap bikes so I guess I'll see what it's like haha.

I was looking up the 300XC's on KTM's website, they definitely look badass. I would love to get one of those... especially if it was a used one that was approved for road use in Ontario. I'd get a set of street tires for it and ride around when I'm not at my farm!

Originally posted by k4f5x0r

As for getting the feel of the bike, i started off in sand. I mean i practiced up and down a hard pack dirt road to get the feel of the bike down, but to practice berms and those kind of things, go for sand. Once your fast in sand, hard pack is the greatest thing ever :p

Alright I'll have to find some sand then! I think there's some up near my cottage... I'll have to try it out!

rbgnwa45
06-14-2010, 12:09 PM
You'd think it'd be around $2000 so make sure there's nothing wrong with it other than the clutch. 250's are fast-fast on pavement, on dirt there's lots of tire spin. I've ridden a new 125 and an old 250 both once and the biggest difference on a dirt road was the 250 had more accel in the top gears. An 03 250SX with a pipe is a different story though, hang on!

ATVMX33
06-14-2010, 12:26 PM
my first time on a bike...other than a '75 90cc...was on my cr250...
i have some bruises and scars but i lived..haha

Canadian144
06-14-2010, 10:06 PM
Looks like the bike is sold unfortunately....

I guess I'll stay on the lookout for a bike then.

Best deal I've found so far (in Ontario) is a '99 KX125 for $1700... but the guy says he's moving, and it's been up there since May. If he needs it gone... I'll offer him $900, you never know!

rbgnwa45
06-15-2010, 08:35 AM
Going to a 125 would be a fair loss in power. $900 is a good price but if you pick up an auto trader you can find modded 06 RM250's for $3000 or less :eek2:.

Hondamaster5505
06-15-2010, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by rbgnwa45
Going to a 125 would be a fair loss in power. $900 is a good price but if you pick up an auto trader you can find modded 06 RM250's for $3000 or less :eek2:.

I don't like 125's too much myself. I mean they're still fun as hell, but the motor is very... "whiny" they want to be screamed everywhere.

flyboy1294
06-15-2010, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by k4f5x0r

I rode my first MX bike on gravel. :chinese:

But seriously, I don't think the OP is going to have any problems. Just remember to easy the clutch out and not get too throttle happy. I never wrecked when I was learning to ride, I only wrecked when I got cocky and started learning to whip. :D

rbgnwa45
06-15-2010, 12:45 PM
On a dirt road it's good to be throttle happy to know your limits, just until the front wheel lifts, and never in first gear. In 05 my friend got on my other friends RM80, he's saying if you flip it you'll pay for the damages and the powerband kicks in hard, he's like IMMMM NOOOTT GONNNNAA FLIPPP ITTT :scary:

He flipped it about 10 seconds after letting the clutch out, it was hilarious.