View Full Version : no spark help please

mandrewlt250r
06-13-2010, 10:43 AM
i have a brand new plug all my wires are connected and the quad just was running. is it my stator? or magneto? both? i have no idea or if i only have one of the 2 on this quad
thanks

fearlessfred
06-13-2010, 11:33 AM
u have a stator,ign.coil and cdi and u should ck. all those connections and the ground to the frame, was something done to the bike between the time it was running and was not running

mandrewlt250r
06-13-2010, 11:50 AM
I didn't change anything or touch anything it was just sitting.

fearlessfred
06-13-2010, 12:30 PM
no insult meant, but u are sure there is no spark. im guessing that u used a new plug and grounded it and had someone crank the motor over. if u have done this and are sure there is no spark.the ck all connection including ground to frame and there is prob. more than one ground .there is prob.one at the ign,coil and one close to the c.d.i. . i dont remember exactly on that bike.if that doesnt fix it,then you can take alook at the stator (u will need a flywheel puller) . the copper windings have a varnish over them that insulates each strand from the other and if the varnish is flaking off and nasty looking it could be the stator .there are tests that can be done with a mulimeter, but i have had no luck with them

jerkin
06-13-2010, 10:03 PM
Here's a post I put up on another forum a few weeks ago on how to check everything. You will probably need to pull the gas tank to get to the connectors where the stator wires come out of the side case and hook into the harness. No sense pulling the flywheel until you check them, only takes 10 minutes and it's probably your problem. If one of them checks bad you can get a flywheel puller on ebay for about $10.

Coil: from the spade connector to ground you should read 0-1 ohms and from the spade connector to the spark plug wire you should have 12k-18k ohms on an 85/86 model or 3k-5k ohms on the 87+ models.

On the stator:
85/86:
Pickup coil black/white to black 480-720 ohms
Power source coil black/white to black/red 330-500 ohms
Lighting coil black/white to black/red 0.5-1.0 ohms

87+
pickup coil black/white to black 175-265 ohms
Power source coil black/white to black/red 315-475 ohms
Lighting coil black/white to yellow/red 0.5-1.0 ohms