PDA

View Full Version : fuel pump will not always engage?

quadhunter
06-13-2010, 10:19 AM
Hello,
Today when I went to start up my DS I turned the key and noticed that the fuel pump did not start up and build up preasure.
I turned the key off and on a buch of times and finally it engaged and it ran fine no problem. then I shut it off and went to start it up again and nothing, so i fiddled with the key again for a while and eventally it engaged, I shut it off again and since then it hasnt engaged. My expertice is mechanical and not electrical at all so if someone could possibly get me pointed in the right direction so I dont have to take it to the local powersports store and have them charge me tons of money for doing nothing.

X400EX
06-13-2010, 06:50 PM
I would start by the relay. You got three relays in the upper front end, but I don't know which one is for the fuel pump.

You could start by making sure that the connections are good.

quadhunter
06-14-2010, 07:18 PM
Ok thank you I will give that a try and see what happens.

craigmacphee
06-15-2010, 03:00 PM
This just happened to one of the guys I was racing this weekend. It was one of the gray fuses or relays under the front number plate plastic.

craigmacphee
06-15-2010, 03:00 PM
This just happened to one of the guys I was racing this weekend. It was one of the gray fuses or relays under the front number plate plastic.

ZX11
06-16-2010, 07:16 PM
Buy a new relay from Riley's or Autozone. It is $8 to $10 and easy to replace after you have removed your front plastic.

You can test it by swapping with the fan relay. Be sure to install the bad relay in the fan position before you start it. My DS450's ECM recorded the missing fan relay and I got a check engine light. The light wouldn't go out until the can am dealer cleared the codes on the Bud's system. He charged me $41 just to clear the code.

ZX11
06-16-2010, 07:21 PM
This is Can Am's part. Auto stores can match the part.

DnB_racing
06-16-2010, 07:33 PM
goggle tyco I think potter brumfeild will be able to help you