06-13-2010, 10:12 AM
Heres what i am looking for:

Bore:
Compression:
Cam:
Exhaust:
Gearing:
Riding style:

I am just curious cause I have a theory i want to try to justify a bit.
Thanks, Steve

honda400ex2003
06-13-2010, 10:16 AM
I know i did not get all of the bores in but there are quite a few to choose from.

Bore: 416
Compression: 10:1
Cam: stage 2
Exhaust: q4
Gearing: 15/38
Riding style: trails

steve

416racer
06-13-2010, 11:33 AM
11-1
hot cam stage 1
Hmf
15/38
xc racing

JOHNDOE83
06-13-2010, 11:35 AM
440, 11:1
stage 2 hotcam.
white bros R4 exhaust or open headers.
14/39

Trails, MX, Drag Racing.

PaRedneckRiders
06-13-2010, 11:46 AM
11:1
soon to be stage 2 cam
white bros R4
15/38
mostly trails

honda400ex2003
06-13-2010, 11:50 AM
thanks guys! keep them coming i really appreciate it! steve

flyboy1294
06-13-2010, 01:28 PM
Bore: 440cc
Compression: 12.5:1
Cam: Stage 3 Hotcam
Exhaust: Sparks Full System
Riding style: MX

trx400exracer
06-13-2010, 09:17 PM
11:1
magnum stage 2
lrd pro4
14/37
trails,sand pits

CJM
06-13-2010, 09:35 PM
Bore: 416
Compression: 11:1
Cam: stage 2
Exhaust: lexx slip on
Riding style: trails

I havent fully tuned it yet, but it does have more power than the stock setup by alot :)

tri5ron
06-13-2010, 11:41 PM
Hey Steve,

You already know mine, but for the sake of the thread, mine is ...

Stock piston, cam, gearing.
450r carb, Full Big Gun system, Uni w/no lid, Sparks key
32.7 HP
Open Desert/Mountain trails, XC

Wheelie
06-14-2010, 09:29 AM
Bore: 416 (87mm)
Stroke: +4 (74mm)
Compression: 11.3:1
Cam: HC Stg 3
Exhaust: Yoshimura Full System
Gearing: 14/36

Riding Style: Woods, Dunes and Occasionally track.

honda400ex2003
06-14-2010, 06:42 PM
thanks guys! keep them coming. My theory may sound a bit strange, and it is lol. Ill try to explain it though so that you know what i am thinking about. So here it is and you guys may be able to help me judge a bit better for your specific machine.

Stage 2 and 14/38 or something along the lines would be better with a stage 1.

stage 1 with a 16/38 or equivalent would be better with a stage 2.

the compression doesnt really matter but can make a judgement call on what cam would be the better choice for say a trail machine or a dune machine depending on gearing and compression combinations.

What do you guys think of this? judging by the looks of most of the setups, the setup with the cam choice is def based on riding styles (as i would expect anyway) I am probably going back to my stage 1 soon because it will work better with trails and low end. i will miss a bit of the top but i feel i have much more fun with the low end wheelie power instead of the top end power, dont get me wrong it is a great setup with the 2 in there though. if i had 12.5:1 comp i would def have the stage 2 in there for the low end. I have been tossing the idea of doing it but am not really sure what i want to do since my q4 helps out the low end quite a bit so it makes up some of what i lost with that just not quite enough compared to how it used to be lol. what do you guys think about it? steve

honda400ex2003
06-14-2010, 07:14 PM
after thinking about it while riding around outside for a bit, i may just try the stock key again and see if that helps out my low end enough to get me the warm fuzzy feeling along with having the major top. I cant wait to try this out a bit now lol. it would outrun quite a few stock machines for sure if i could get the low end wicked like the stage 1 and keep the top end like the stage 2 with a combination of both and my t4 on there :D I am gonna try it out tomorrow maybe or at least by the end of the week. I want to do some racing now :devil: lol. trouble is finding a good place to do it where there isnt trees or a short distance. we dont have alot of fields around here at least for the people i ride with. lol. steve

honda400ex2003
06-15-2010, 10:57 AM
any opinions on it? steve

honda400ex2003
06-16-2010, 09:39 PM
anyone? steve

tri5ron
06-17-2010, 02:10 AM
It goes back to that old saying of...
"You can't have your cake, and eat it too."

For trail riding, I tend to think of it more like this...

Trail riding generally means more technical riding, than track or dune riding.
This in turn, generally means there will be a higher likelyhood
of lower speeds, which also means less airflow across a aircooled engine.
Therefore, heat monitoring and management is a priority.

The quicker it gets hot, .....
The quicker it looses power.

So in my opinion, going over 10.5:1 compression, for a 400ex, (that is mainly intended to be trail ridden), is counterproductive.
If you want to kick it to a 416 or 426,.. That's fine,... no harm there, and at 10.5:1, the head studs should still be plenty fine.

but we still want that low end grunt right ???

Well,... a stage 1 gives more low end performance, and you still get to keep your stock gearing,... Which means you don't lose much of the top end speed.
all the while, without producing an excessive increase in heat.
(yeah, maybe a LITTLE more heat, but not really that much)

Now toss in the advance key,... and you get better throttle responce, (again, without really producing that much more heat)...
AND,...
when you are lugging it in the technical stuff, the improved throttle responce is welcomed everytime you snap it on.

so now, we've accomplished better bottom end,...
with better throttle responce,...
without much more heat,...
and without losing any real top end speed.

now add the 450r carb,.... and factor in a better exhaust with a better intake, and the entire band is even a little better yet !

at this point,...
If your REALLY concerned about the minimal (IMO), increase in heat production,...
a spal fan, and/or larger oil cooler, (OR, even that oil cooler mod in the head), should counter any and all of the minimal additional heat being produced, over a stock bike.

Yet,... you've STILL got a basically bulletproof machine,...
with approximately a 30% increase in HP,...
still running on Pump Gas...
AND,...
have NOT significantly compromised the reliability.

On the other hand, if you want a fast duner,...
Dump some cash into modding a 'shee, and it will do the job very well.

this is all just my opinion,...
and I'm sure there are plenty here who feel differently.
But HEY,...you asked !

Can you imagine,
that I even know a guy who occaisionally puts a full sized rear rack, cargo bag, tent, and a sleeping bag, on the tail of his 400ex???
He's a real nutcase,
who apparently can't decide between a ATV or a UTV !

Next thing you know, He'll put plastic Spongebob on the nose, and a 2-way radio on it ,with speakers and mic inside his helmet too,.....
(Oh wait,.... he already did!)

It's SACRILEGIOUS I TELL YA!!!
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

honda400ex2003
06-17-2010, 07:18 AM
very good opinion info there. I agree with what you have said also! makes sense to me, i wish more people would see that. there would be even more people that like the 400 for these reasons. I think i am gonna try the key swap next week and see where it gets me. I just wont have time this week to do it. it is nice to have the snap but i would like to keep the stage 2 in so i will give it a go and report back. lol. thanks again for your thoughts on the subject, it is good to see how people think about this stuff and hopefully some of the newer guys can see this and learn a few things about what you can do to wake a 400ex up a bit without going overboard with it. steve

JOHNDOE83
06-17-2010, 09:41 AM
The way I look at it.....

Im all about speed and power, so when it comes to trail riding and racing, I want a fast/powerful machine.

Some people say 416 is better for this, 426 for that, 440 for whatever...lol. When me and my bud's go riding we ride hard and fast at whatever we are doing, were highly competitive with each other, most people trail ride to just have fun.

When we trail ride we look for the most technical stuff we can come across, we basically race through trails till we see a big hill, big logs, big rock formations, then we stop and say I bet I can get up that hill before you, or I can get over that log without stopping or stalling, we even put rocks and logs on the hill to see who can manage it better.Thats probally why we make so many trips to the emergency room..lol.

So about the speed and power, I went with a 440 and a stage two cam for verstility, all I have to do is change gearing, tires, suspension and I can drag race, mx, trail ride, or just play around. The 440 has the power to get over big logs and climb hills, it also helps for racing raptors, 450s, shees out on the trails or track.

Im probally not the best person for advice on mod's being that my moto is go big or go home. If your looking for a bore kit Id say skip everything and go with the biggest you can afford, youll just want the bigger one in the end anyway, but not everyone is like that.

In my opinion, if you wanna win you need the biggest you can get, if you got a 416 with the same cam and gearing I have in my 440, Ill still pull on you in every corner, leave you in every straight away, and get the holeshot before you, because I have the power to do it....tires play a major roll in this also...traction is king...If my 440 didnt get traction a 416 could easily walk on me.

Back to the subject now, cam's are kinda odd, when I switched from stock cam to stage 2, there was no bottom end loss, the only difference was in the topend, when racing my friends yfz450 we would be dead even till 5th, once I switched to 5th he walked on me, after the stage 2 it was the same race but when I hit 5th Id stay with him.

I dont know why you would want a stage 1, when racing the low end isnt that important "to me", you need high rpms with the right gearing and tires to win, low end is for pulling and towing if you ask me, high end is for racing..

The stages of the cams are made for certain applications, you need a stage 1 for basically stock bikes, stage 2 for anything 416 and over, stage 3 for any high compression motor with a 426 and higher or stroker motor, If your looking for that low end grunt you need to change your gearing and tires no matter what you have.

anything lower the 426 doesnt really have the power to pull a 16/36 gearing or 15/38, you need more power to pull those gears, most people say a ex cant get over 70mph, well if you put 16/36 on a stock motor youll never get over 70mph you might but you wont have full rpm range, my 440 will do 70 in 4th gear and still pull all the rpms outa 5th.

I feel like I havent explained enough but this is getting long and off track...lol.

I hope this helps a little, and doesnt upset anyone.

06-17-2010, 10:16 AM
400-440ex
stage 2 was stage 3
p&p-ported
shaved head and decked cyl 0.025
12.5.1 wiseco piston so im all most at 13.2.1
450 can chain
06 450r flat slide carb.
hmf full pipe
16/39 was 16/38
all out drag racing and mx
1/8 mile best time was 8.487

and im looking to go big. next is +1 or +2 valves then later comes the stroker. and maybe a small shot of well u know yes the baby bottel lol. so im also like johndoe 83 go big or go home.

honda400ex2003
06-17-2010, 01:13 PM
very good info guys. i am not out to get the most or the highest hp i just wanted to see how everyone sets up their machine and see if it matches how they ride. most people it seems really do take this into consideration over the most of anything. I plan to put the stock key in just to see if i can get the low end from the stage 1 with more top end of the stage 2. then i can have more of both for my compression. lol. thanks again and keep the info coming guys! steve

Thumpin
06-20-2010, 12:48 PM
You made the comment that (I plan to put the stock key in just to see if i can get the low end from the stage 1 with more top end of the stage 2. then i can have more of both for my compression)?

Your confusing your igniting timing with cam timing, a +6 Sparks Key will give you more power and throttle response over the stock key no matter what combo of parts you have! Changing cam timing will change the rpm range in which your power comes in. Most people will do the correct step and just get the cam stage in what most suits their riding style.

I myself wanted more low end and midrange power with my combo, so I added the Sparks +6 Key, and it got better. But I wanted my power band to come in sooner, so a smaller cam was in order. I didnt want all lowend power making my higher rpm fall flat, so I got the Sparks X-1 cam, which is like a stage 1.5 cam.

The Sparks X-1 gave me everything I was looking for, massive midrange power with good lowend and good topend, it shifted the rpm power band low enough for me I think its perfect for my trail needs now!

Picking the correct cam for any combo is very important to the output you want!

lester985
06-20-2010, 12:52 PM
fst 500 x4 cam x6 pipe 11:1 14/39

tri5ron
06-20-2010, 01:20 PM
Thumpin,
i've got a question reguarding the Sparks X-1 cam....

were you able to use the stock/OEM rockers with the X-1 ?,
or ,...
did you need to change them to a hardened rocker???

Also,...

does the X-1 cam maintain the decompressor valve?,
or,...
does it eliminate the decompressor the same as the more common Hot Cams???

and one last thing..
have you by chance done any dyno testing/tuning with your set-up?
I'd be interested to see where it is putting the power at,

Thanks,
Ron

06-20-2010, 05:23 PM
Heres the setup I always wanted to do.

Bore: 406
Compression: 10:1
Cam: STG 1 Hotcam
Exhaust: Full HMF
Gearing: 15/38 on 99-04
Other: +6° timing key

bought a 450r so I never got around to it.

honda400ex2003
06-21-2010, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by Thumpin
You made the comment that (I plan to put the stock key in just to see if i can get the low end from the stage 1 with more top end of the stage 2. then i can have more of both for my compression)?

Your confusing your igniting timing with cam timing, a +6 Sparks Key will give you more power and throttle response over the stock key no matter what combo of parts you have! Changing cam timing will change the rpm range in which your power comes in. Most people will do the correct step and just get the cam stage in what most suits their riding style.

I myself wanted more low end and midrange power with my combo, so I added the Sparks +6 Key, and it got better. But I wanted my power band to come in sooner, so a smaller cam was in order. I didnt want all lowend power making my higher rpm fall flat, so I got the Sparks X-1 cam, which is like a stage 1.5 cam.

The Sparks X-1 gave me everything I was looking for, massive midrange power with good lowend and good topend, it shifted the rpm power band low enough for me I think its perfect for my trail needs now!

Picking the correct cam for any combo is very important to the output you want!

thanks for the info. I suppose i did mix it up but i seemed to have lost a bit of low end with my key instead of gain some. I think it has a big part of what your setup is. I am thinking about getting an x-1 in a few weeks to try it out but i need to sell one of mine first i think. I am not really sure which to sell or if i want to even sell them really. it is great to have a variety for different riding situations but it can be tough to decide which one you want to stick with. lol. I think with my stage 2 and the stock carb it would be just how i want it also lol. the 450 one just hits hard though through the mid and top with both cams lol but much harder on the 2 than the 1 since it is breathing better with the 2 and letting it get up in the rpms better. I liked my stage 1 stock carb setup so much and it ran really well but in the interest of more power i have been doing these things and almost make it worse when i do them to an extent for me. I am just stuck as to how i want to do it. steve

honda400ex2003
06-21-2010, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by tri5ron
Thumpin,
i've got a question reguarding the Sparks X-1 cam....

were you able to use the stock/OEM rockers with the X-1 ?,
or ,...
did you need to change them to a hardened rocker???

Also,...

does the X-1 cam maintain the decompressor valve?,
or,...
does it eliminate the decompressor the same as the more common Hot Cams???

and one last thing..
have you by chance done any dyno testing/tuning with your set-up?
I'd be interested to see where it is putting the power at,

Thanks,
Ron

I am interested to find this stuff out also! this will have an impact on if i even want to mess with the x-1 or not. thanks steve

honda400ex2003
06-21-2010, 01:44 PM
it looks like it is a full drop in cam with the decomp missing just like the hotcams. is this what i gathered from the sparks site? steve

odog
06-21-2010, 03:34 PM
try a 39mm fcr carb.i have alot of low end power most of the time it feels like too much the stroker helped out alot though.but the carb really bought my bike to life.im like eric rip and john doe just go as big as you can afford a bigbore will diffently give you that low end that your looking for i mean even with 16-38 gearing with 20inch tires on the back my bike still tries to come up in 4th gear when im trying to drag race a couple of friends its a scary fealing when your trying to race with alot of power but in the trail you will love that extra power.

Wheelie
06-21-2010, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by odog
try a 39mm fcr carb.i have alot of low end power most of the time it feels like too much the stroker helped out alot though.but the carb really bought my bike to life.im like eric rip and john doe just go as big as you can afford a bigbore will diffently give you that low end that your looking for i mean even with 16-38 gearing with 20inch tires on the back my bike still tries to come up in 4th gear when im trying to drag race a couple of friends its a scary fealing when your trying to race with alot of power but in the trail you will love that extra power.

What language is this written in?

A bit off subject, but where did some of the people on this site learn English, grammar and communication?

I know the education system in this country sucks, I just hope it's not as bad as some of the posts I've recently read make it out to be.

I'll step off my soapbox now, I apologize if I've offended anyone.

Jeremiah

Thumpin
06-21-2010, 05:46 PM
Yes the Sparks X-1 cam is a drop in and go cam, you just reuse the rockers as a stock cam. Stock valve springs are fine. And it comes with a new decompression unit installed, just bolt on cam sprocket and go.

You must reuse the decomp plunger and spring just like the stock cam! This is the main differance between the X-1 and a HotCam!
The other differance between the X-1 and HC is the X-1 uses the stock valve lash settings, thats where it is quieter than a HC.

Side by side X-1 and stock cam they look the same except the lobes on the X-1 are larger.

I wish I could get it dynoed and see what it would lay down for numbers. But all my tuning is done by many hours of test and tuning by seat of the pants, I will say though, its got to be spot on, it runs Beautifully and the tune holds the same everytime I ride it.

To sum up the X-1 cams power, it has Massive Midrange, more than my stg2 HC gave me. Wish I had tried the stg1 HC so I could tell you guys what the differances in all three are.

Hope this helps guys, let me know if you got any other questions.

tri5ron
06-21-2010, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by Wheelie

A bit off subject, but where did some of the people on this site learn English, grammar and communication?

I know the education system in this country sucks, I just hope it's not as bad as some of the posts I've recently read make it out to be.

Jeremiah
x2
I'm with you there Wheelie,
I'm not sure, .... but,
if I was reading that correctly,
He's saying that it would be scary to "race" a bike with that power,...
but to "trail ride" with it, it would be fun ?!?!?!
(I'm a bit Corn-fuzzzzed here).

I'm not quite sure I get the logic in that.

I'm pretty sure that I "Trail ride", less aggressively, than most others "Race". (or at least I Hope so).

Because If I DO "Trail Ride" more aggerssively than the "Racers",...
then apparently, I've missed my calling !!!
LOL!

But then again,..... Maybe I'm Waaaay of base here.
:huh :huh :huh :huh

honda400ex2003
06-22-2010, 02:49 PM
just for kicks while i was changing the oil i figured i would try the +3 key i have. what a difference in low end now. I lost a bit of top with my q4 but after it cools off a bit i plan to see how it runs with the t-4 on it. then it will be great with both again since it had lots of top end with the t-4 stage 2 combo. I cant wait to give it a try in a bit. Ill report back in a bit. steve

odog
06-22-2010, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by Wheelie

Jeremiah im sorry i didnt use proper grammer for you guys i was just trying to let him know what i would try.i didnt really know this was going to be a grammer test if the person who asked the question dont really understand what i said or anyone else for that matter just pm me and i will tell you so u could understand or just call me:) thanks odog.

odog
06-22-2010, 05:03 PM
x2
I'm with you there Wheelie,
I'm not sure, .... but,
if I was reading that correctly,
He's saying that it would be scary to "race" a bike with that power,...
but to "trail ride" with it, it would be fun ?!?!?!
(I'm a bit Corn-fuzzzzed here).

I'm not quite sure I get the logic in that.

I'm pretty sure that I "Trail ride", less aggressively, than most others "Race". (or at least I Hope so).

Because If I DO "Trail Ride" more aggerssively than the "Racers",...
then apparently, I've missed my calling !!!
LOL!

But then again,..... Maybe I'm Waaaay of base here.
:huh :huh :huh :huh i guess what im trying to say is my bike isnt set up for drag racing i dont have a +5 swinger or a wheelie bar or anything else really suspension wise as far as drag racing is concerned.so managing that power on the street or asphault is harder for me than it is in the trails because when im drag racing someone i ride as hard as i can to try to win but when im in the trail i ride hard to have fun.

honda400ex2003
06-22-2010, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by honda400ex2003
just for kicks while i was changing the oil i figured i would try the +3 key i have. what a difference in low end now. I lost a bit of top with my q4 but after it cools off a bit i plan to see how it runs with the t-4 on it. then it will be great with both again since it had lots of top end with the t-4 stage 2 combo. I cant wait to give it a try in a bit. Ill report back in a bit. steve

BINGO!!!!! I am leaving it for sure now!!! best compromise for all areas. what a blast to ride again. The hundy never ceases to amaze even after 7 yrs of doing different things to it. there is always a way to get more out of the setup you have. steve:eek:

tri5ron
06-22-2010, 11:12 PM
'C Mon Steve,....

you can be the first guy out there with a Hybrid XR650R/400EX ,
punched to a super-turbo-stroker 783,
on nitrous, running E106,
pushing +183 degrees ignition timing,
with a X-429 cam.

I'm figurin' about 1585 HP, at 2K RPM, and a redline somewhere out around 122 grand.

just throw on a Holly 750 double pumper ,..
a set of Thorley breathers,...
and a Mallory Distributor,...
you'll be set !!!

BTW- we want to see it Tubbed, with a set of Wrinkle walls, and a Drag Chute.

AWww Hell, ...
Just post up a pic of you in Drag, and it's all good !!!!

LMFAOROTFL !!!!!
Waiting to see the pics ! :D ! :D :D :)

honda400ex2003
06-23-2010, 09:31 AM
Im on it! That is quite a list though so it may be a while :D steve

a4guy
06-23-2010, 10:18 AM
Heck, I have a 350 long block I will let you use if you wanna try that steve. hahaha

I'm glad there are guys like you doing all the home work so guys like me can just put in the parts and go. I have no problem testing and tweaking but the girl friend gets pissed when I spend to much money on the toys.

honda400ex2003
06-23-2010, 06:27 PM
Send it up! ill give it a try! anything to gain some here or there. lol. I like to tinker with it just to see how i like different things so it is fun for me. If i can help out with my opinion on here it is just a bonus. I like to come on here and others have done the same such as Ron and some others with the initial tests of the 450 carb and dynoing among many others like wheelie that make the a and 4 degree keys to help out a bit where the 6 degree doesnt work. I like to show that i care as those guys do and try to do my part for the 400ex world. I will always have the machine so it is nice to find out what works best for me and what i can do to it to race different things. if i was going to race a bigger machine, i would put the 6 degree in so that i have more top end to keep up with a bigger bore. I think how it is now, it would run with any mildly built 450 and a raptor. it may even outrun them a bit for some distance. i have to be careful so i dont ruin my crank from taking the keys in and out. is there a way to hook onto them to pull them out easy? i dont like using a small screw driver to tap it out since sometimes i hit the bottom of the notch. it isnt bad but i dont want to get it any worse so i probably wont be doing it too much anymore. only when i adjust the valves since i dont have a tdc gauge that fits down the cylinder. maybe there is a better way to do this also without marking the flywheel? thanks for the help and the compliments! steve

tri5ron
06-23-2010, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by honda400ex2003
i have to be careful so i dont ruin my crank from taking the keys in and out. is there a way to hook onto them to pull them out easy? i dont like using a small screw driver to tap it out since sometimes i hit the bottom of the notch.
This reply is not solely intended for Steve,
Rather it is more for the younger "Mechanics in Training" who are often reading these, and attempting to do their own work.
That is all fine and good, and I fully encourage it for anyone with an intrest in learning to work on their own machines
But remember,...
PATIENCE, UNDERSTANDING, and CONCENTRATION, on what you are doing, (Maintainence, Mods, or Repairs), is vital to sucsessfully completing the job at hand.

Get yourselfs a factory repair manual.
Read it,
Use it,
Understand it.
It is your bikes Best Friend, and your Best Teacher.

So many new guys come on, asking why they now have a stripped out valve cover cap or a side case or starter bolt, etc.

If they would first read the manual, and use the proper tools,....
There would be alot less unnessary repairs going on.

so with that being said, and in responce to Steve's question,
IMO,These are a must have in anyone's tool set...

http://www.craftsman.com/shc/s/p_10155_12602_00947077000P?keyword=picks

http://www.craftsman.com/shc/s/p_10155_12602_00938292000P?keyword=plastic+hammer

as long as you take your time, and work carefully, you should not have any problems with damaging the crank, or the slot.

a small screwdriver, with a narrow enough blade that fits into the slot, will work fine,
WHEN,...
tapped LIGHTLY, and CAREFULLY.

just dont try using a framing claw hammer with a large chisel !!!
(Big rocks and rusty nails are equally a bad choice of tools !)
LOL!

honda400ex2003
06-23-2010, 09:26 PM
thanks ron! both are a check in my box( i never thought to use those, next time around ill give them a shot). I just use a small screw driver as you mentioned and a wooden mallet to tap them out but i think it is still a bit tough to get them out. the hole itself is good so i am not really worried but my sides of my keys are getting a bit of wear on them from the screwdriver. I just thought that maybe there was an actual key tool that you could grab it with (something ill have to work on in the near future) :D

On the manual topic, I wish i still had a manual lol. my neighbor used to let me use his but he sold the machine(and didnt wvwn ask if i wanted it but rather gave it to the guy after the fact of selling the actual machine). lol. It is a must have for any new guy working on them though. I still have the digital copy to use and would at least recommend using one of those at the very least to look over everything before attempting a rebuild or even tearing into the oil change for the first time. After doing this for the first time leave it. the problem usually lies in the fact that after you do it many many times over, such as me with my key changes, it can start to see different marks as with my key hole or anything. try to keep the parts changing to a minimum when possible (as hard as that may be) I have had my key changed probably 10-12 times already for different studies and adjustments. this is not the recommended amount of times to change this as it can start to get tore up after messing with it over and over as a bolt can get stripped off or get cross threaded and break off causing undo stress to yourself as well as the machine(when you have to try to get it out lol)

take some advice from a guy that at one time( 13 yrs old) had a pedal bike with a reverse threaded pedal on one side of it that he wanted to get off but couldnt. so instead of trying to get it from both ways, got the grinder out and started going to town. after figuring out that it takes FOREVER to get through a tool steel pedal bolt with a die grinder 3/4" wheel and that it was reverse thread of which he could get out very easy by going the right way, he felt like a ding dong. trust me, it makes for an interesting evening with two guys going to town on a bolt to cut it off so you can tap it out when it is not needed at all. lol learn from others mistakes :D

steve

honda400ex2003
06-23-2010, 10:23 PM
Ron, did your post get deleted, i got an email saying you posted??? LOL you wouldnt happen to have any spare parts to donate to the monster would you? Ill borrow the welder from work, now i just need a grinder( oh wait i know just what to use ^^^ ill get through that tube no prob with that wheel) i have good start :D it is ready for the donor big block already. steve

honda400ex2003
06-23-2010, 10:27 PM
check it out! i made some major progress tonight. ready to start cutting! steve

tri5ron
06-23-2010, 10:55 PM
No, none of my post's were deleted, so probably just a late notification to you.

I don't know about donating it,...
but I DO have a fresh small block 350 that we took out of a buddies Stock Car.

It IS for sale or trade, but it probably is a little under powered for what your looking for.

It only puts out 600 HP at 9000 rpm.
(and it does that with a 2 barrel carb, restrictor plate, and stock cast iron exhaust manifolds)

honda400ex2003
06-23-2010, 10:59 PM
very possible if a4guy's deal falls through. i just gotta get him my addy so he can send it up :D Ill let you know on it. thanks for the info on your post lol, i thought it was a bit weird to have that. lol. steve

tri5ron
06-23-2010, 11:12 PM
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/l0iFxQEE17c&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/l0iFxQEE17c&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

honda400ex2003
06-23-2010, 11:26 PM
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/l0iFxQEE17c&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/l0iFxQEE17c&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

BAM!!! KICKED IT UP A FEW NOTCHES RIGHT THERE!!!! AS EMERIL WOULD SAY! STEVE

honda400ex2003
06-23-2010, 11:40 PM
Mine is going to be punched out to a 454 big block baby :D

Check out what i just got laid in, no grinding or welding required, just some new motor mounts. I figured it would be tougher than that, since some of the other hybrids require frame cutting and such but this guy fit right in no problem, it even has room to spare. lol. steve

a4guy
06-23-2010, 11:41 PM
This one is actually my favorite.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmKcM8B2ToY

honda400ex2003
06-23-2010, 11:41 PM
laugh all you want at the kicking paint skills right there :D thats right, it is coming along nicely! ill work on the headers tomorrow night. oh and i forgot i gotta get an oil pan on that beast too. :D steve

honda400ex2003
06-23-2010, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by a4guy
This one is actually my favorite.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmKcM8B2ToY

that is cheating when you have that big of a platform to work with. steve