PDA

View Full Version : adding a sparks pipe

bigbad400
06-12-2010, 12:30 PM
so i just bought a sparks racing exhaust. what do i have to have to go with? is the programmer a definite for a full pipe or will the cherry bomb make up for it? i already have the cherry bomb and right now cant afford a programmer but got a full sparks pipe for 275. so i had to have it. whats ur 2 cents on the subject? again im very new to fuel injected quads.

y-man
06-12-2010, 02:07 PM
i dont know much about efi either but as far as i know the cherry bomb should work. You shouldnt need anything the efi should do it all for u even if u didnt have the cherry bomb. Once u put a pipe and everything on the efi will change everything so it runs right. i think this is right but i could be wrong. hope this helps im sure somebody else will help ya to.

bigbad400
06-13-2010, 07:02 AM
i kinda figured the efi would remap itself to some extent but how much? i don't want to run lean. and i don't have the money for a programmer right now. :(

Canadian144
06-13-2010, 07:30 AM
It all depends on the pipe... I have no experience with the sparks pipe so I can't say for sure. With just the cherry bomb, the Yoshimura RS5 will run properly. I've been told that most pipes will run fine with just the cherry bomb, my DMC full system has been.

The only pipe that I know that you 100% need to get a fuel programmer is the Dasa pipe.

bigbad400
06-13-2010, 07:35 AM
ill run with the lid on till i can afford one. and the stock filter.

Canadian144
06-13-2010, 08:47 AM
Yeah sounds good. You should be fine.

hondaracer31
06-13-2010, 08:58 AM
The EFI on the LTR will NOT remap itself! The Cherry Bomb is simply a resistor which forces the EFI into a richer fuel map. If you need to "rejet" you have to have a programmer. Only programmers with the sensor in the exhaust pipe will adjust themselves.
The EFI will only adjust itself for temp. and altitude changes. Not pipes and modifications to the intake or motor.

pitcrew
06-13-2010, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by Canadian144
It all depends on the pipe... I have no experience with the sparks pipe so I can't say for sure. With just the cherry bomb, the Yoshimura RS5 will run properly. I've been told that most pipes will run fine with just the cherry bomb, my DMC full system has been.

The only pipe that I know that you 100% need to get a fuel programmer is the Dasa pipe.

i used to run a dasa pipe with just a cherry bomb and the bike ran perfect. the cherry bomb will be fine with just a pipe.

Canadian144
06-13-2010, 11:06 AM
Really? From what I read over on the HQ they say that with the Dasa you really should run a PC3 or PC5.

I think that you NEED to if you do a Dasa AND a fuel intake...

hawaiianbasshed
06-13-2010, 02:34 PM
the fuel intake is an open intake (no box) so with JUST that style intake you ABSOLUTELY need a programmer. I have a cherry bomb and I have an open intake sitting in my closet as I can't use it til I get a programmer or at the VERY least a cheap TFI made by dobeck :(

as for with the DASA pipe, I've been chilling on HQ for a while and never read that ANY pipe needs a programmer by itself.

the Sparks, is it a Big Core or regular?

I'd ask over on HQ personally. that is a dedicated LTR forum. so imo it's a better place to do research on your bike. I learned a big bit more than I knew (which was nothing) I learned a little here, but there you can just read thru pages and pages and not have to ask as many questions until you get specific ones like this imo :D

pitcrew
06-13-2010, 03:26 PM
i ran mine before the motor work with a dasa pipe cut air box which there was nothing left with a pro design foam filter ... with just a cherry bomb. no problems what so ever.

LTR450_#67
06-13-2010, 05:52 PM
Yeah but you were more than likely running lean and you not making the power you could have been. Just because it runs fine doesn't mean it's running to it's potential.

bigbad400
06-13-2010, 06:18 PM
it is a big core system. which means its probably more in need of the programmer than the regular pipe too. i plan on getting a decent programmer when i get some more parts money around. but for now i will just do a couple plug checks to see just how lean it is with the lid on and off and go from there. if it is too much, ill wait to run it and just buy the programmer in a few weeks. thanks for the input. yoshimura said it is made to run with there full race exhaust so im sure it will be fine with the sparks pipe.

soapman72
06-13-2010, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by LTR450_#67
Yeah but you were more than likely running lean and you not making the power you could have been. Just because it runs fine doesn't mean it's running to it's potential.

I would be careful about passing out that kind of advise when you really have no idea if he is rich or lean. I have a very similar setup with full pipe and no air box.

I also have the PCV with AUTOTUNE. nearly all the adjustments it made are to subtract fuel. There are only a few spots where it added fuel, and it was usually less than 10%. in the places where it subtracted fuel it was as high as 30% in several places. the target AFR i used was 13 to 1

So, you actually are correct that his setup may not be ideal, but it also may be that he is too rich. Suzuki built a lot of safety margin into their race map (activated by the cherry bomb), but not every bike is the same, because of the tolerances in the sensors that suzuki uses, same goes for fuel injector flow, ect.

Chances are the cherry bomb will support any external engine mods that you want to do. To be absolutely sure, and to get the most HP available, you need a custome map with a PC3 or PCV or just get the PCV and AUTOTUNE.

LTR450_#67
06-13-2010, 07:26 PM
I was referring to PITCREW's response with a built motor.....sorry bout that.

pitcrew
06-14-2010, 04:11 PM
if u read that rite i said BEFORE my motor work..i ran a dasa pipe with no air box and just a cherry bomb and i wasnt lean at all the bike ran perfectly. i know how to check a plug and the bike ran perfect u dont need a programmer with just a exhaust.

bigbad400
06-15-2010, 06:29 AM
awesome pit crew that's the confident answer i was waiting to hear. i dont need the last 1/2 hp i can get i just wanted a pipe and some more gain..... if it turns out to not run so good and i need the programmer then ill prolly go out and get a intake cam too. that way i can justify it to myself a little better. lmao:D

LTR450_#67
06-15-2010, 07:06 AM
I stand corrected......my bad

bigbad400
06-21-2010, 07:10 AM
so had the sparks pipe on since last monday. first impression is wow very loud over stock. and no way to quiet it down.

as far as performance goes, i havent got a dyno but id say it made alot more off the line.

topend is just silly now, it pulls so hard from 2nd-4th i cant keep the wheels down if im into it at all. :eek2:

i rode it around for an hour or 2 feeling it out, and checked the spark plug, paper bag brown. id say its running perfect. i dont think i need to adjust anything. rode around for 2 days and checked it again, perfect brown again. thanks everyone for your help.

if you dont mind loud this is a good pipe. but if you have any reason to be quiet this is not the pipe for you.

if all you care about is a quality built nice looking pipe thats gonna make ur quad faster. this is a good one. id recommend it to anyone that dont mind noise, its a nice sounding rumble at idle and a snappy throaty scream WOT, i think its a good sound but loud, some sound like a rattly tin can, it could be alot worse.

tbru23
06-28-2010, 12:01 PM
I have no lid on my air box, a full sparks pipe, a yosh cam, and a high comp piston, and i tried a programmer and a cherry bomb, and the cherry bomb gave it more noticable power then the programmer.. youll be fine with the cherry bomb..

bigbad400
07-12-2010, 06:30 AM
if thats the case, i might get a autotune setup, a programmer should dial it in to perfect operation..... you messed something up in dialing it in or something...... :(

or else your cherrybomb is making you run lean and thats why it feels stronger. look into that if ur smart... i was asking as a temporary fix till i can afford a programmer if it would be safe to run the cherry bomb. i know now it is, but in the end when i get a programmer ill be getting the auto tune.... somethings not right with that....:huh