PDA

View Full Version : "to bore or not to bore" that is the question

DnB_racing
06-12-2010, 11:00 AM
what would you do for quickness? I want my quad to be quick, I have been going high compression and it seems pretty quick, but of course I want more! Is adding big bore or longer stroke going to give me what im looking for? or are those options more for power? im waiting for my head to be ported just waiting for some quotes and cash. But with porting should I stay with just high compression, or should I add bore and stroke?

06-12-2010, 12:29 PM
from what I hear stage 2 hotcam is the best upgrade you can do to them. obviously a good intake and exhaust system to compliment that and get it flowing. Then higher compression. Not sure if you have all of this done yet, if not then I would before you think about boring it out. Theres some fast *** stock bore 450's out there.

DnB_racing
06-12-2010, 12:56 PM
ya its got a hc2, high compression piston 14:1, open air, kn filter, white bro carbon pro full exhaust, green wire cut, clutch mod. and Im getting the head done soon, but i want more and im not sure if a big bore and stroke will give me quickness or just more power, I want quick not power.

Seed
06-12-2010, 01:42 PM
Then youll just want to port and polish the head. You are going to notice a a large amout of power just from that. Also does not hurt the reliability any, unlike boring the motor. Remember push a motor where it is not desinged to run such as a larger bore will give reliablilty problems. The hondas really come alive with a good port and polish.

400exrider_1230
06-12-2010, 02:53 PM
i say go big or go home

DnB_racing
06-12-2010, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider_1230
i say go big or go home

but my question does it add quickness or just more power, im not looking for long distance high speed i want top speed right away, and im not talking about gearing im talking about in the motor, from what ive seen the big bores that ive raced is they have slow 60' times and start coming on strong after the race is over(300'). Actually im looking for the best holshot speed combination!!!!!

Seed
06-12-2010, 04:34 PM
Stick with stock bore and do a port a polish i really think youll be amazed at the outcome. There is alot of hidden power in that Honda head. Now just unleash it. Getting larger valves really helps a ton also. Give DASA a call they are Honda geniuses and can tell you all the information you want to know.

mx Eli
06-12-2010, 07:06 PM
if you really want quickness get your crank lightened they rev like no other! a good porting is important +1 intake and +2 exhaust valve's will help even more. if thats not enough get shorter valve guide's and get a big ***** cam in there

also I would get the gears hardened if you have the case's split

and don't bore or stroke it it will rev slower. a good place can get a stock bore/stroke 450r to have equal or more horsepower then a big bore/stroker.

if you want mega power put all the mods I have listed along with a big bore/stroker

DnB_racing
06-12-2010, 07:17 PM
lighten the crank? can you get a lightened crank or does it have to be machined? what about the flywheel? does the crf have lighter cranks and flywheel? and will they fit

DnB_racing
06-12-2010, 07:40 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by mx Eli
[B]if you really want quickness get your crank lightened they rev like no other! a good porting is important +1 intake and +2 exhaust valve's will help even more. if thats not enough get shorter valve guide's and get a big ***** cam in there

wont a lightened crank have a slower start from a dead stop because of less inertia,wouldnt that take away from a fast start?

mx Eli
06-12-2010, 08:25 PM
in therey you are correct but u will have more hosrepower cus you are turning less weight. it's kinda like a lightened flywheel but has more efect
you have to send it to a shop to get it done

don't think the crf stuff will fit

witech
06-12-2010, 11:41 PM
The sad thing with posts like these is the correct question is not being asked. What the heck does quicker mean? . You need to ask yourself what do you need to do and build the engine accordingly. Do you need 45hp and 30foot pounds of torque at 7000 rpm or do you need 55hp and the 35 foot pounds of torque at 8500 rpm. If you dont know what you want your going to waste a lot of money and time building the wrong engine.
Are you drag racing in the stock or unlimited class, Trail racing , oval track ,hauling wood,or just need a to out run your buddies z400?

DnB_racing
06-13-2010, 08:09 AM
my drag time was way to fast for trail if under 5.699 then you must run in modified my times have been 5.39 - 5.43, and I cant sandbag good enough to back off and run in the trail class. but at 5.4 im the slowest in the class. which suuks i went from the fastest trail quad to the slowest mod quad, its bracket racing so times arnt supposed to matter, but tell everyone im the slowest in the class isn't fun anymore. I dont need much more before im competitive and that's what im looking for is just a little more, its like I said earlier im looking for the best combination for holshot speed and still be able to use in trails or pits, So the answer to the question what does quicker mean is : I want my 60' time to be under 1.5 seconds, that's what quicker means to me!

Ruf Racing
06-13-2010, 10:06 AM
NITROUS OXIDE!!!!!!!!!!:D

DnB_racing
06-13-2010, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by Ruf Racing
NITROUS OXIDE!!!!!!!!!!:D

does it beat the snot out of the motor and seals? and is it something I could just install for the drags and remove to trail race?

Seed
06-13-2010, 10:51 AM
Dude go with a stock bore 450. Port the head, put +2 exhaust valves in, hot cams stage 2, good exhaust (DASA or Sparks), 14:1 Piston, FCI Intake, Bore carb (41mm). Here is a similar quad with almost the same exact mods. Here is how it should run.

http://www.youtube.com/user/makenLegs#p/a/u/2/Cj10HSVhdU0

DnB_racing
06-13-2010, 11:07 AM
Ya im getting my head done but I just want to get all I can out of it before I put back together. Iva already got the hc2 and open air box and my exhaust is a good one they dont make them any more Baldwin motor sports was in the development of them, and the exhaust is as good as sparks.Im just worried that once I get the head done and put together that Ill still want more! I guess ill never be happy unless they actually put a 500cc 2 stroke in one with all the right engineering

Seed
06-13-2010, 12:15 PM
You know there comes a point where you want Toooo much power and wont be able to control it then youll hate it. Sounds to me you really dont know what you want. Sell the quad and make & a V8 dune buggy that should fill your needs.

DnB_racing
06-13-2010, 12:18 PM
I know what I want and that's a large 2 stroke with factory engineering!! and all the modern development

Seed
06-13-2010, 12:44 PM
Will never happen. The reason the quadzilla went away so quick was because of all the injuries and deaths. So I guess make due with what you have. Most of the people are saying stock bore is the way to go, but you continue to second guess our advice. So in an essence do what you feel would give you the power because your asking for our advice and yet you still second guess it. So if you want Big Bore then go Big Bore. Though you will be disappointed by where the power comes on and youll be tinkering on the quad 3 out of the 4 days you ride it most likely.

DnB_racing
06-13-2010, 12:54 PM
im not second guessing anyone on the contrary in listing to all advice and taking it all in not just one persons but all and im trying to decide on what i know and from the advice that's been offered and I appreciated ALL replies not just one Im sorry that you feel that Im not listening to your advice that's not it at all. I do have a open mind and im trying to decide which way to go.not everyone is saying stock bore only you Seed are saying stock, but that's what i want is stock but im open for opinions not trying to make lite of any option! on the contrary I love some of the options that have been given and Im not putting anyone ideas down!!!

Ruf Racing
06-14-2010, 07:35 AM
Originally posted by Seed
You know there comes a point where you want Toooo much power and wont be able to control it then youll hate it.

:huh :ermm: BS!

Ruf Racing
06-14-2010, 07:40 AM
Originally posted by DnB_racing
does it beat the snot out of the motor and seals? and is it something I could just install for the drags and remove to trail race?

You install the kit, and leave it on. You use it like a light switch. When you want the extra boost, hit the button. If you over use the stuff it will smoke a motor. Do some research on N02, it can be some fun stuff. Good luck with what ever you decide!

DnB_racing
06-14-2010, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by Ruf Racing
You install the kit, and leave it on. You use it like a light switch. When you want the extra boost, hit the button. If you over use the stuff it will smoke a motor. Do some research on N02, it can be some fun stuff. Good luck with what ever you decide!

thanks for the help Ill look into this it might be something that would work for me. when I drag I can use it and get good speed, and when I ride through the woods still have a motor thats not going to run me into a tree!

kono993
06-14-2010, 10:05 AM
big bore + stroker = super fast exceleration because it makes a **** load of torque

pro-rider46
06-14-2010, 08:11 PM
when your talking drag racing, you need a lot of torque! thats when you put in a stroker crank, and a big bore if you want. a heavier crank and flywheel are better for drag racing, but lighter are better for coming out of a turn and going wide open. get the head ported with bigger valves. through in a bigger cam. like a web 208, or something similar. and then try racing it. but if you want a fast quad, and a trail quad is where you have problems. you cant have both unless you have two quads.

RobRacing
06-17-2010, 04:00 PM
You can also try changing the gearing. Put a smaller front sprocket on and it will be quicker but top out faster you can also try smaller tires. You can also start adjusting the suspension for proper weight transfer to put more power to the ground. Also remove anything that is unneccassarry to lighten up the whole machine.

DnB_racing
06-17-2010, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by RobRacing
You can also try changing the gearing. Put a smaller front sprocket on and it will be quicker but top out faster you can also try smaller tires. You can also start adjusting the suspension for proper weight transfer to put more power to the ground. Also remove anything that is unneccassarry to lighten up the whole machine.
ya ive lightened it up as much as possible, now I have to go on a diet! Ive tried different tires and sprocket and ive got it so my 2nd gear launch still has high rpms. I might be able to get a tooth or two on the back but its pretty close to were it needs to be. If I go too much it hurts top speed. I like to run 21s it seems to hook a little quicker then 20s. but the gearing is pretty close.Im putting back together now with 14:1 Baldwin piston, Baldwin cam, crf head gasket, im indexing plug, mild port for now(i bought another head and im sending to someplace I haven't decided yet) I just couldn't take that much time off to wait for port! I got a lot of little tips that might not help but if you put them all together it might help a little
I angled the end of my exhaust tip
I used crf gaskets
I used the coldest plug in the range
I indexed my plug
I switched to a 2 ring piston
this was with previous other mods after I get ported then Ill pursue other options,Im already running my air box open and Ill have to re jet accordingly