PDA

View Full Version : Cleanin up the oil spill redneck style!

bert400
06-11-2010, 10:40 AM
Got this in an email the other day and thought it was actually really cool and looks like it does work great..figured Id show you guys on here! Heres the link to the vid:

http://www.wimp.com/solutionoil/

gncc025
06-11-2010, 12:37 PM
Thats a great idea. I wonder if anyone important has seen this? I think it would work

Quad18star
06-11-2010, 01:05 PM
Great simple solution . BP take note.

feuerstack411
06-11-2010, 02:49 PM
Would be good for small areas, but nothing else really.

bert400
06-11-2010, 03:45 PM
^^any little bit helps! Im not sure if anyone important has seen it or not, but you know if they did they would laugh at it and say it would never work and blah blah blah!

honda400ex2003
06-11-2010, 04:36 PM
I like it! use it down there for sure. steve

Kickstarts-suck
06-11-2010, 04:41 PM
Very good idea. :macho

and people talk bad about rednecks... :rolleyes:

trx310R#24
06-12-2010, 02:21 AM
leave it to something so simple! so simple that these scientists that have spent years in college could not even come up with anything like this.... just gos to show you school dont teach you how to think. :rolleyes:

250r rider 88
06-12-2010, 06:25 AM
awesome idea, even if it wouldn't work well in a larger area they could spread this along the shorelines for hundreds of feet out and after cleaning that oil up more would flow towards the line and you would repeat the process

i really hope this information gets to the right people

feuerstack411
06-12-2010, 09:16 AM
haha I guess ignorance is bliss for you guys. If only it was as simple as putting some hay down. I guess you guys can't comprehend the magnitude of the oil

250r rider 88
06-12-2010, 09:24 AM
i dont see you coming up with any solutions over there across the pond, at least these guys who probably make less than 50k a year have an idea, it works, and it can help clean up some of it, thats not ignorance in my book, thats good old american ingenuity, don't be so quick to criticize if you yourself can't do any better

toby400ex
06-12-2010, 12:17 PM
It would take a whole lot of hay to pick up all of that oil, then what do you do with all of this oil soaked hay? Burn it, or feed it to crude oil fueled cows?
:ermm:

TRX_450
06-12-2010, 01:30 PM
You take it to a facility and have the oil extracted so its not wasted. Thats what.

toby400ex
06-12-2010, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by TRX_450
You take it to a facility and have the oil extracted so its not wasted. Thats what. I guess that works, either way its still spewing out of the ocean floor.

DnB_racing
06-12-2010, 02:09 PM
one problem i see with this method is, if you notice that if there is seaweed floating or any floating mass,it attracts bait fish and in turn more wild life, and could actually cause more environmental damage then the chemicals they use to dissolve the oil.It might work near the shore, but they have oil absorbers that absorb more oil for there weight that work better

trx310R#24
06-12-2010, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by feuerstack411
haha I guess ignorance is bliss for you guys. If only it was as simple as putting some hay down. I guess you guys can't comprehend the magnitude of the oil

hmm you sir are an idiot. who are you to say this will not work to clean up what is there? i fully under stand the magnitude of the oil. there is know way to plug this leak. if you think there is you really are an idiot. id explain why it can not be plugged but you prob already know dont you? :rolleyes:

maybe the idea is not at 100% but it is a damn good start. it may need some fine tuning

feuerstack411
06-12-2010, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by trx310R#24
hmm you sir are an idiot. who are you to say this will not work to clean up what is there? i fully under stand the magnitude of the oil. there is know way to plug this leak. if you think there is you really are an idiot. id explain why it can not be plugged but you prob already know dont you? :rolleyes:

maybe the idea is not at 100% but it is a damn good start. it may need some fine tuning

Judging purely by your grammar alone, you calling me an idiot is highly ironic.:macho

250r rider 88
06-13-2010, 06:42 AM
what has Italy ever done besides wave the white flag? seriously other countries bail you guys out of everything, at least we handle our own problems from good old fashioned American ingenuity, you come up with a better idea then you can talk until then shut your mouth and drink some more wine, your ignorance is making this thread to damn stuffy

Fred55
06-13-2010, 11:01 AM
That still doesn't seem like it would help much, only a small amount of the oil is on the surface. There is a huge amount under it and he said in the video that the hay will only be on the surface.

DnB_racing
06-13-2010, 11:15 AM
all the oil will eventually rise to the top as its in salt water, if it was fresh water it might take longer, but in salt it wont take long for all of it to rise to the top, but when it does they use chemicals to break it down and render it harmless and dissolves it.As for the stuff that reaches the beaches they have a powder that absorbs 200% of its own weight and remain dry and solid to the touch.that actually is much easier to clean up then piles of wet oily hay

gncc025
06-13-2010, 01:30 PM
Seems to me if they can confine parts of the oil in a reasonable amount of space (like in a circle barrier) in the ocean and then spread hay within that barrier it would soak it up just fine. That is a small scale test they did but I still don't see why it wouldn't work. I know its easier said than done but it has to be cleaned up somehow. It never hurts to try.

rbgnwa45
06-13-2010, 01:37 PM
I have dial-up, can someone explain the vid? Hay?

gncc025
06-13-2010, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by rbgnwa45
I have dial-up, can someone explain the vid? Hay?

Basically these farmers have a bowl of water with oil mixed in. They throw hay in and the oil attaches to the hay with no residue left in the water.

honda350r
06-13-2010, 07:38 PM
All BP needs to stop the oil spill, is put a Wedding ring around the pipe and it will for sure stop putting out !!!

DnB_racing
06-13-2010, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by honda350r
All BP needs to stop the oil spill, is put a Wedding ring around the pipe and it will for sure stop putting out !!!

ha ha did you stay up all night thinking of that one?

feuerstack411
06-13-2010, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by 250r rider 88
what has Italy ever done besides wave the white flag? seriously other countries bail you guys out of everything, at least we handle our own problems from good old fashioned American ingenuity, you come up with a better idea then you can talk until then shut your mouth and drink some more wine, your ignorance is making this thread to damn stuffy

I live in the U.S and am a United States citizen, bro.
You're the ignorant one that thinks throwing some bales of hay can fix this oil disaster(not to mention your white flag waving Italian comment) , I'm just being logical.;)

250r rider 88
06-13-2010, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by feuerstack411
I live in the U.S and am a United States citizen, bro.
You're the ignorant one that thinks throwing some bales of hay can fix this oil disaster(not to mention your white flag waving Italian comment) , I'm just being logical.;)

A.) im not your "bro"
B.) its a legit short term idea that can help pick up alot of oil near the shorelines and help save the lives of the wildlife that live along there, so by not supporting ANY idea that can help clean this mess up you might as well be an animal killer too:huh

feuerstack411
06-13-2010, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by 250r rider 88
A.) im not your "bro"
B.) its a legit short term idea that can help pick up alot of oil near the shorelines and help save the lives of the wildlife that live along there, so by not supporting ANY idea that can help clean this mess up you might as well be an animal killer too:huh

I agree with you, it is a great idea for small areas and shorelines. But some people ITT made it sound like this would soak up ALL the oil and cure AIDs at the same time.

250r rider 88
06-13-2010, 08:22 PM
i realize that too, obviously you didn't read my previous posts very carefully cause i clearly stated this would work best on the shorelines up to 500 ft out, mount a couple of "hay shooters" on the back of the big coast guard ships, load them up with the hay, spread it, then have local shrimp boats come through and pick it up a few hours later, repeat

read clearly before starting a pointless argument with someone who actually agrees with you haha

DnB_racing
06-13-2010, 08:43 PM
this is some of the responses from BP reps.

This is not a new idea. In the slightest. We see this *every* *single* *time* a spill happens. The other favorite is human hair. Peat moss is another that's put out there all the time too. We've tested this stuff with oil, using the standard ASTM test for adsorbents. It sure enough pick up oil, fairly effectively even.

What these guys really don't understand is how much of a mess this truly makes. They say that the oil-hay conglomeration can be removed by conventional beach cleaners. This is true if it ends up on a beach. Beaches are probably the easiest shoreline type to clean in any case. Most shoreline isn't beach though. In a mangrove swamp, or in a wetland, all adding hay does is make a bad problem worse. But this isn't the worst thing.

The worst thing this does is makes the oil much more mobile. Oil sits very low in the water. It's motion is mostly affected by current and by ~3% of the windspeed. Adding hay or peat greatly increases the oil's cross-section to wind. Wind can be much faster than water currents. Oil with organic matter in it thus moves much faster, and travels much, much farther than oil without. Spreads the problem out a lot. If you want to see oil washing up from Texas to the Florida keyes, by all means, add hay to it.

Adding hay to oil makes it harder to clean up in sensitive areas and makes a bad problem worse. This is one of those simple, "common sense" solutions that is just the opposite of sense to use.

250r rider 88
06-13-2010, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by DnB_racing
this is some of the responses from BP reps.

This is not a new idea. In the slightest. We see this *every* *single* *time* a spill happens. The other favorite is human hair. Peat moss is another that's put out there all the time too. We've tested this stuff with oil, using the standard ASTM test for adsorbents. It sure enough pick up oil, fairly effectively even.

What these guys really don't understand is how much of a mess this truly makes. They say that the oil-hay conglomeration can be removed by conventional beach cleaners. This is true if it ends up on a beach. Beaches are probably the easiest shoreline type to clean in any case. Most shoreline isn't beach though. In a mangrove swamp, or in a wetland, all adding hay does is make a bad problem worse. But this isn't the worst thing.

The worst thing this does is makes the oil much more mobile. Oil sits very low in the water. It's motion is mostly affected by current and by ~3% of the windspeed. Adding hay or peat greatly increases the oil's cross-section to wind. Wind can be much faster than water currents. Oil with organic matter in it thus moves much faster, and travels much, much farther than oil without. Spreads the problem out a lot. If you want to see oil washing up from Texas to the Florida keyes, by all means, add hay to it.

Adding hay to oil makes it harder to clean up in sensitive areas and makes a bad problem worse. This is one of those simple, "common sense" solutions that is just the opposite of sense to use.

interesting information, something has to work though, it won't be long before someone figures out the solution

gncc025
06-13-2010, 09:11 PM
ironic*

flammable
06-14-2010, 12:51 AM
^ ahhhahhhahaah...ahhahahahaahah

its a matter of time b4 the taxpayers have to pay for it and clean up there mess.....literally.

bert400
06-14-2010, 10:59 AM
Saw this video on another site and thought it was kinda funny..its a bp sketch comedy vid on the oil spill and what not, check it out

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/COeKxO0wL9A&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/COeKxO0wL9A&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>