PDA

View Full Version : Sound like a craigslist scam???

Scro
06-10-2010, 07:49 PM
I've got a pool table listed on craiglist. Woman calls me and this is how the conversation goes:

Woman: Hi, do you still have the pool table.
Me: Yes
Woman: Are you firm with price?
Me: Yes
Woman: Would it be alright if I come take a look at it tomorrow?
Me: That will be fine
Woman:What is your address?
(She was very quick with her questions, like she didn't care what my answers were)

So I give her my address...click...she immediately hangs up. So I try calling her back...no answer. Call back a second time...no answer.

I call back again today with no answer. Are people actually calling to find out your address, only to later try and jack the stuff? I mean I know they're not going to take a pool table, but in my pics are the cues, balls, and racks. Think it's something I should get the S&W ready for?:devil:

ZeroLogic
06-10-2010, 07:50 PM
Can't ever been to careful.:ermm:

rbgnwa45
06-10-2010, 07:56 PM
Isn't one for goodbyes I guess. Maybe it was too far. Do you think someones going to break into a house just for a pool table? Must be expensive?

Scro
06-10-2010, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by rbgnwa45
Isn't one for goodbyes I guess. Maybe it was too far. Do you think someones going to break into a house just for a pool table? Must be expensive?

Never know I guess. Just seemed sketchy to me.

Kickstarts-suck
06-10-2010, 07:58 PM
Damn thats crazy :eek2:

TCracin440ex
06-10-2010, 11:06 PM
here in va my uncle was telling me (because he lives in richmond) that one guy found a craigslist add for an apple ipad. so he called and talked to the people and everything seemed legit, when he got there 2 meet the person a few guys jumped him and beat the shyt out of the guy and robbed him. in other words he was set up.

Pappy
06-10-2010, 11:31 PM
I ran two state workers out of here yesterday at gunpoint. Trust NOONE....

They were up to something..or the popo would have been here after what i did

06-10-2010, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by TCracin440ex
here in va my uncle was telling me (because he lives in richmond) that one guy found a craigslist add for an apple ipad. so he called and talked to the people and everything seemed legit, when he got there 2 meet the person a few guys jumped him and beat the shyt out of the guy and robbed him. in other words he was set up.

I've heard of it happening quite a bit. They put an add up for something expensive and know most people will bring the cash with them. When they get there they jump them for the cash. It's a sad world we live in.

06-11-2010, 12:03 AM
If someone could break into my house and steal my pool table, they almost deserve it lmao If you could move that thing your Hulk. Huge piece of slate and large wood carved and what not, heavy SOB! I think the art work and signatures are worth more than the table though. I'm talking probably $100k worth of stuff in 1 room lol It should probably have a security system on its own.

BTW I never give out my address unless I know the people or they are friends of someone I know. I always have to have a way to track them down or find out more if they are coming over. If I sell something I say meet here or call me when you get to this point and if I cant deliver to that point then I give them directions from a point close by. Ive had people ask for my address and I would ask your coming to pick up up today correct? Yeah just give me your address, and when they are short or keep asking I wont give it out. I'll then contact them later and usually theres no answer or they say no.

Kickstarts-suck
06-11-2010, 12:46 AM
I remember awhile ago I put my ZEX nitrous kit up forsale on craigslist and some guy wanted it and offered what I was asking so we agreed to meet at the local walmart so I told my mom I was going and she was like take someone with you in case he tries to steal it or something. I just though yea whatever mom. So I ended up getting my buddy to come anyways and of course hes got his pistol on him lol.. On the way there I get a call and the guy says he couldn't find the Super Walmart and hes at the old abandoned Walmart.. So im like okay.. Super Walmart is like the biggest thing in this town and there is no one around the old Walmart. Soo we end heading to the old Walmart and my buddy is joking the whole time saying watch 3 guys be there in an old beat up mini van... Well... We pull up and sure enough.. Mini van.. 3 big guys get out.. I stop and get out and my buddy makes sure they can see his holster through his shirt and the guy ends up just giving me the money and being on his way.. Who knows if they were going to try something.. But still kinda weird.

trx310R#24
06-11-2010, 03:20 AM
Originally posted by FlewByU352
If someone could break into my house and steal my pool table, they almost deserve it lmao If you could move that thing your Hulk. Huge piece of slate and large wood carved and what not, heavy SOB! I think the art work and signatures are worth more than the table though. I'm talking probably $100k worth of stuff in 1 room lol It should probably have a security system on its own.

lmao it took them forever to gt my pool table in the house.... id hate to see if it ever had to be moved... =p i know i cant even lift one side of it at all... i dont even know if id shoot the guy right away... i think it would be funny as hell... as they are trying to bring the slate up the steps kick it.. hahhaha. it falls on them.. that would be one hell of a fml.

Latemodel32
06-11-2010, 04:06 AM
sounds fishy to me but then again i dont trust anyone lol

quad2xtreme
06-11-2010, 05:51 AM
Maybe a good business opportunity would be going with people on a for hire basis when they are buying big ticket items. Wouldn't it be nice if you were going to buy a car with $10,000 if you could take a cop with you. **** might still happen from time to time but at least it would stack the odds in your favor...assuming the cop didn't rob you on the way (sorry, I lived in Baltimore so I am jilted).

/Jon

gbcap
06-11-2010, 06:38 AM
I NEVER post my address or phone number on craigslist. it is full of scams and scammers.

I will also NEVER meet someone at my house, if the item is at my house and I can not move it I will meet them at a Wal-mart down the street and then if I feel comfortable I will take them too my house. I always have a gun hidden but handy with anything big ticket being sold.

Buy a counterfeit pen to look at the money first.

Always ask to copy thier license for any car purchase, if they are not willing to do that as them to go to a notory first to confirm identity. If they wont' it might be a scam.

derekhonda
06-11-2010, 07:19 AM
Good advice. If someone calls out of the blue and asks for an address i just always tell them to meet me at the mcdonalds that is a few streets away. If they are looking at a bike or fourwheeler, I take it with me.

smr
06-11-2010, 07:24 AM
Originally posted by gbcap
I NEVER post my address or phone number on craigslist. it is full of scams and scammers.

I will also NEVER meet someone at my house, if the item is at my house and I can not move it I will meet them at a Wal-mart down the street and then if I feel comfortable I will take them too my house. I always have a gun hidden but handy with anything big ticket being sold.

Buy a counterfeit pen to look at the money first.

Always ask to copy thier license for any car purchase, if they are not willing to do that as them to go to a notory first to confirm identity. If they wont' it might be a scam.

I'm with you on that. I buy and sell a lot of stuff on craigslist and I always meet at lowes or walmart. I always park where I am in plan view of the cameras. When I hand someone the money or they hand me the money I always tell them to look at the camera..:). I also tell them thats why I meet at walmart. If they are writing a check (a lot of farmers do that still). I will use cell phone and take a picture of thier drivers license and there license plate.

Canadian144
06-11-2010, 07:51 AM
+1 on not meeting someone at home. Usually I'll try to meet at a major intersection near my school in downtown Toronto.

Last year my friend was selling a bunch of random computer parts (1/2 of them didn't work I think) so this guy was supposed to meet us at this major intersection, anyways about 10 of us are sitting outside at the intersection, eating, and this old asian guy pulls up in some old crapped up Honda civic, all rusty. Apparently it's the guy, so he's like to my friend "get in my car" and my friend was like "are you joking me? Go around the corner and park and meet me here"... so the guy goes straight, we were all like WTF? Then 15 minutes later he shows up and buys the stuff... still it was really weird.

We agreed that if he came back, all 10 of us would try to jump into the guy's Honda civic to see what he would do haha.

firefighterjosh
06-11-2010, 09:13 AM
She could be stealing your identity

I had a similar scam over email. This lady was selling a truck and she was going to ship it to me:rolleyes: (scam) but she said she would ship the truck to me, then I have 10 days to check it out and if I don't want it I could ship it back.:rolleyes: (scam)

I never sent her my address, but for some reason they want your name, address and phone number to use. I would assume they either use it to take your money or they use it to use against other people.

flyjum
06-13-2010, 07:43 AM
Yea its kinda scary.

Im trying to buy a truck right now for around 8000$.

Its scary going to look at trucks in central phoenix with 8 grand on you.
I think I need a gun or something else besides cash. People only take cash these days. No one trusts anyone.

Also I never EVER meet anyone unless its in a VERY public place like wal-mart or a populated gas station or something like that.

JR3
06-13-2010, 08:18 AM
I sold a dirtbike frame to a guy who said he gave his adress to someone on craigslist to come and look at his banshees the guy sounded legit and everything he had the banshees chained up in the backyard he said the next morning the quads were gone. moral of the story never give anybody off craigslist ur adress i never meet anybody at my house ever

quad2xtreme
06-13-2010, 08:36 AM
I feel safer selling than buying but stuff happens both ways. My friend Max was selling a car. 2 guys showed up and seemed ok. They all went for a test drive and back to the house. They told him they wanted the car. So he went in the house for the paperwork and they stole the car. Lucky for him it was recovered in 2-3 days with very little damage.

I read posts on craigslist warning people about scams in Durham all the time...you go down a dead end road where the motorcycle or quad is. The only place to turn around is a church parking lot. When you are trying to turn around, 3 cars surround you and you get robbed. Even if you have a gun, that is a scary situation because they probably do too...even more coming at you from various angles.

sunco
06-13-2010, 07:16 PM
go w/ GBcaps thought.

Take ur pool table to walmart & wait there :blah:

wild250rman
06-13-2010, 08:08 PM
I listed some 400ex parts a while back and posted my e-mail and phone# and i got some pretty weird responses.i'm 6' 240# and got weirded out when some guy e-mailed me with some pretty strange things he would like to do to me, I quickly removed the add before any one else hit on me. luckily it was a cell phone and untracable because he lived only a few miles from me. gotta love when girls do that, but a guy!:eek2: