PDA

View Full Version : no spark

MidnightBlade
06-10-2010, 06:59 PM
this ISNT for a 400ex, it is for a 1980 kawasaki ltd1000. we bought brand new coils, and there is power to them but no power coming out, it isnt telling them when to spark. we think it may be the stator but we dont know. thanks

Pt's400ex
06-10-2010, 09:42 PM
Not sure but there is a pick up coil I believe next to the stator that may be your problem. That is used to pick up the signal off of the fywheel as it rotate's around. You might be able to take it off and have it checked by using a multimeter. There might be a certain amount of resistance it's supposed to have. I had to do the same thing with a Polaris Sportsman 500. With a digital multimeter I was able to find the problem by starting at the battery and going all the way to the spark plug. I am not a mechanic but this may help a little. Jim

MidnightBlade
06-11-2010, 08:35 PM
yea i thought about that but yere isnt really anyway you can test it. it does show 450 ohms of resistance though. thanks

Pt's400ex
06-12-2010, 08:10 AM
Well i would call a couple Kawasaki shop's and see if it can be tested. They might tell you the resistance it should read. I took my whole stator off and went to the Polaris shop and the guy showed me the resistance of each wire and what it should read. Have you looked to see if just the pick-up coil can be replaced?

MidnightBlade
06-12-2010, 07:17 PM
yea but it is $600, so i have my fingers crossed on that one. lol