PDA

View Full Version : Cant Get Enough of Mountain Biking!

Sjorge450R
06-10-2010, 05:28 PM
Many of you know I bought a Trek MTB 2 months ago and I was just curious if there are others out there that ride or cross train with a bike. I am riding approx 60miles a week on the trails and I am loving it. It has been giving me my fix from quading since I havent been able to ride in a while.

Who else is riding and who else hates that bikes are just as expensive as quads?!?!

CJM
06-10-2010, 05:41 PM
I used to to love to go, but where I currently am there are no mtns-its flat!

I have an older trek 930 hardtail with the judy SL rock shocks. Got the job done for me back in the day and still does today.

yellowzo3
06-10-2010, 05:58 PM
Yeah they're are ridiculously expensive and I still can't figure out why. I think a bunch of us told you that was going to happen when you made your first thread on it. :p

I really need to get into it but can't seem to get motivated. I guess part of it is because no one else around here has any interest in riding ANY kind of bike or doing anything outside so I'm on my own if I want to ride.

The technology in mountain bikes today though is insane. Tons of crazy stuff coming out and a billion more choices for parts and bikes than the atv scene. You just don't know where to start! LOL

PhilMoore
06-11-2010, 10:17 AM
I got a used Cannondale a couple months ago, and have been putting on about 50 miles a week.

Last weekend, a friend and I discovered some awesome trails right in our town.

I wish they would come up with something better than that crappy derailer system for the drive though. I see there are a couple belt drive setups with integrated CVT in the rear hub.

Anybody have a CVT hub on their mountain bike?

Scro
06-11-2010, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by Sjorge450R
Many of you know I bought a Trek MTB 2 months ago and I was just curious if there are others out there that ride or cross train with a bike. I am riding approx 60miles a week on the trails and I am loving it. It has been giving me my fix from quading since I havent been able to ride in a while.

Who else is riding and who else hates that bikes are just as expensive as quads?!?!

I would imagine the initial investment would be just as expensive as quads, but I don't see you being able to tear up as much stuff as you would on a quad.:p I bet it would be cheaper over a period of time. I've thought about giving it a try, but it seems like it would be more work than fun, until I got my legs conditioned.

yellowzo3
06-11-2010, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by Scro
I would imagine the initial investment would be just as expensive as quads, but I don't see you being able to tear up as much stuff as you would on a quad.:p I bet it would be cheaper over a period of time. I've thought about giving it a try, but it seems like it would be more work than fun, until I got my legs conditioned.

Tons of stuff breaks :p ...Wheels bend into oblivion, shocks need to be rebuilt, BB's wear out, chains go bad, derailers get busted up if you crash, cogs wear out, flat tires WAY more often... Everything lol. You also need to have your bike tuned up every so often as well. The only problem is some of the stuff is a real pita to do yourself if you don't have a bunch of special tools or the know how to do it. Truing wheels, adjusting the derailer, changing cogs (requires some weird tools lol).

If you race it's a really expensive sport.

And yes, if you're out of shape its really no fun in the beginning. You get all pumped up that you're going to be hitting the trails all day, cruising around, and then you're ready to pack it up one hour into the trip :p

Phil, I HATE derailers... It's part of the reason I switched to single speed. It's a pain to get them all set up just right and if you hit a rock or crash the thing sticks out like a sore thumb and is begging to get smashed. They're alright if you know how to work on them really well or if you don't beat you're bike up, but there's so many adjustments on them and little moving parts its just a headache if you ask me. Like you said, there are a couple other options but they're all serious $$.

bubsyfz450
06-11-2010, 01:12 PM
it doesnt make sense why they are so expensive!! but i got the bug and got sucked into spending $3500 on a kona stab DH! but it rides amazing!!! love mountain biking!!!

PhilMoore
06-11-2010, 01:26 PM
Ha ha the "supreme" model is 6k and it is chickenwired together with a deraileur. LoL

Still a cool *** bike tho.

KFX450Rrider490
06-11-2010, 04:25 PM
i love mtn bikes to ive been riding for a few years but i havent gotten the chance to realy ride yet this year it realy sucks

Sjorge450R
06-12-2010, 01:15 PM
Just got back from riding...lol. Put 10miles of sweet trails in. Its rough and its rough on the body, but once you get conditioned its nice. I have been riding for 2 months now and I have probably dropped another $200 on top of my initial $530. That 200 was for clipless pedals and shoes, tires, and a replacement derailer because those things suck!. I would like to be able to purchase a SS bike, but I am fine with this trek for now. It was a pretty bad crash when I broke that derailer so its all good.

Another thing I have found out is that there are so many places around here for me to ride. Enough within a 40min drive that I can ride a different place each night of the week. Its rediculous. Most of them have 10+ miles of trails too.

If you are thinking about getting a bike but are worried about the fun factor, trust me. Just buy the bike. After about a month of riding (100 or so miles) your legs will be good to go.

WhiteZrider
06-12-2010, 02:00 PM
I wanna do this!

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/t2DcwDQxUKQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/t2DcwDQxUKQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Sjorge450R
06-12-2010, 03:55 PM
that video was crazy. There is this place in Northern NJ called Diablo and its a groomed Downhill place. I am trying to go there soon if my pu$$y friend will man up and just go... lol

trx310R#24
06-12-2010, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by bubsyfz450
it doesnt make sense why they are so expensive!! but i got the bug and got sucked into spending $3500 on a kona stab DH! but it rides amazing!!! love mountain biking!!!

:eek2: $3500 on a bike... even if its really kool.. it can not be worth 3500 lol that will almost get you a car.

yellowzo3
06-12-2010, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by trx310R#24
:eek2: $3500 on a bike... even if its really kool.. it can not be worth 3500 lol that will almost get you a car.

lol $3500 is nothing. You can find a bunch of used bikes for $5000+

The sport really is just as expensive as quads as hard as it is to believe. It's kind of dumb considering there is no motor and there really aren't THAT many parts. However its all about weight, strength, and geometry and the technology is through the roof on a lot of bikes. You can still have a ton of fun on a budget though.

Canadian144
06-12-2010, 05:19 PM
I mountain bike... but not that often... and I didn't spend alot on my bike... I think $300 haha. It's a hybrid city/mountain bike... it's really not that great but for the trails that I've rode on, it does fine. I don't do any really intense trails, so I don't mind.

I hit what is probably the most intense trail in Toronto back a few weeks ago with a friend... we decided to take it on the way to this rich girls house who has having a bbq. Anyways, it started thunderstorming about as soon as we entered the trails... it got really muddy (since the trails are basically in a forest valley) and we were constantly slipping and falling over... I can't wait to ride it again though (when it's dry). By the time we got to the BBQ though, we were both basically brown... luckily the food was ready & warm and eventually I got to take a shower at her place and everyone there used the sauna hahaha.

Here's a video I made (I used my gopro) on that trail ride:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2tYZrUtyJU

trx310R#24
06-12-2010, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by yellowzo3
lol $3500 is nothing. You can find a bunch of used bikes for $5000+

The sport really is just as expensive as quads as hard as it is to believe. It's kind of dumb considering there is no motor and there really aren't THAT many parts. However its all about weight, strength, and geometry and the technology is through the roof on a lot of bikes. You can still have a ton of fun on a budget though.

id never spend 5k on something i got to work my *** off to move :p but i just im just lazy lol but no i have a bike.. i have not rode it in 5 years and i prob only paid $100 or so for it but it worked haha

Sjorge450R
06-13-2010, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by trx310R#24
id never spend 5k on something i got to work my *** off to move :p but i just im just lazy lol but no i have a bike.. i have not rode it in 5 years and i prob only paid $100 or so for it but it worked haha

hahaha believe it or not, only on the really really intense climbs do you realized that you are using your legs to propel yourself. I forget all the time lol. Once you build those thighs up your good to go.

I went out riding earlier today and my dad saw me when I came back and was like "Where was it raining?" I replied "Thats sweat, not rain" as sweat dripped off my shirt lol

buck440
06-13-2010, 01:52 PM
talk about expensive look into santacruz bikes $7000 :eek2: plus that much more to customize it to your liking. my mom is a receptionist for an authorised dealer which is a good thing for me due to a major discount, got a $2300 gt trip tree dual suspension bike for about $1200 i love riding too.

motofreak2772
06-13-2010, 04:18 PM
vitalMTB.com is a good site for this stuff. My friend rides and I give him crap cuz I ride bmx. There is this place in ocala with trails and all kinds of obsticles including like a 75 foot drop. They have trek competitions there too. I only did the jumps, a 10 foot drop and some of the wooden stuff.

This is the only mtbing I would do..
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IIhkeL5h030&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IIhkeL5h030&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Drewltr450
06-14-2010, 07:41 PM
I go downhill mountainbiking in VT a few times a summer. Its a great time some trails you look back on and barley imagine its possible to go down them.

Smoker
06-15-2010, 03:27 AM
They make internally geared cranks and wheels, they're going to cost you though.

Truvativ Hammerschmidt (http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/CR289A07-Truvativ+Hammerschmidt+Crankset.aspx)

Shimano Alfine Internally Geared Hub (http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/HU289C00-Shimano+Alfine+Internally+Geared+Hub.aspx)

destey
06-16-2010, 05:48 AM
Originally posted by Drewltr450
I go downhill mountainbiking in VT a few times a summer. Its a great time some trails you look back on and barley imagine its possible to go down them.

At Mad River Glen?

Sjorge450R
06-16-2010, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by Smoker
They make internally geared cranks and wheels, they're going to cost you though.

Truvativ Hammerschmidt (http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/CR289A07-Truvativ+Hammerschmidt+Crankset.aspx)

Shimano Alfine Internally Geared Hub (http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/HU289C00-Shimano+Alfine+Internally+Geared+Hub.aspx)

yeah.....thats too much money for me. I will continue to replace the rear dérailleur lol. At $30 a pop, if I break one every 3 months I will be happy lol. gives me a reason to adjust it. I just upgraded to a long travel fork and I love it! Makes my trek feel like a $1000 + bike now.

PhilMoore
06-17-2010, 10:29 AM
Sounds like Shimano is coming out with a new 11speed internal in September.