PDA

View Full Version : More slabs

Pappy
06-10-2010, 03:48 PM
I needed to get more slabs cut out so this afternoon I picked on a nice size log

Pappy
06-10-2010, 03:50 PM
That saw eats wood like a beaver! I ended up getting 6- 2 inch thick by 7 foot pieces, a few 1x8's and one piece I saved for a future outdoor bench.

Kickstarts-suck
06-10-2010, 04:04 PM
I was going to make a new thread but I just noticed yours...

Do you actually sharpen your chainsaw yourself? If so whats the best way? Im getting tired of buying new chains all the time.. :ermm:

Pappy
06-10-2010, 04:12 PM
Yep, I do it myself.

1. get the correct size file for your blade

2. Sharpen evenly, same number of strokes for each tooth ..both sides. If you do one side 3 strokes and 1 side 2 your saw will cut at an angle

3. There are angles and degree's to filing the the tooth but just mimick the factory angle and you will be fine.

There are some videos on youtube that will help you out. I could explain it but not as good as the videos can show you:p My Pop and Dad showed me so i could sharpen blades while they cut and boy did they ever let me know if I did a bad job LOL!

fastredrider44
06-10-2010, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by Kickstarts-suck
I was going to make a new thread but I just noticed yours...

Do you actually sharpen your chainsaw yourself? If so whats the best way? Im getting tired of buying new chains all the time.. :ermm:

I hand file my saws 2-3 times before I true it up with the sharpener. The angle is crucial, or your saw will cut in a curve. Try not to let your saw get too dull before sharpening. Don't hit the ground, and try to clean off any dirt in the path of the chain. I dress the chains as soon as it's no longer cutting perfect. Running a dull chain will get the teeth hot and they won't hold an edge as long.

Kickstarts-suck
06-10-2010, 04:18 PM
Okay thanks guys. Ill give that a try. :)

Pappy
06-10-2010, 04:20 PM
Just do 1 chain first. Sharpen it and go test its cut. If needed work on that chain until you figure it out. It takes about 5 minutes to do a chain, I can do them faster in the field with a demel tool but usually do them all by hand.