PDA

View Full Version : A-arms

a4guy
06-09-2010, 09:46 PM
My ball joints are just about wasted and need to be replaced. I was thinking about upgrading to a +2 a arms and going with a wider rear axle. I have found they are way out of budget right now. Any ideas?

honda400ex2003
06-09-2010, 09:48 PM
houser or burgard and get a gforce axle and you will be set for some reasonable arms for a fair price

steve

atv fan 28
06-09-2010, 09:51 PM
Offset wheels and wheel spacers. the most affordable way to widen a bike.:)

a4guy
06-09-2010, 09:58 PM
I have a set of 450r shocks that I am getting from a buddy and wanted to do it all at the same time. I have done some looking at houser and burgard and they are just to expensive.

I am also getting a new set of tires so rims will probably be on that list. Would it be ok to go the cheaper route and get wider off set rims and/or spacers? What is really the trade off?

Thanks.

honda400ex2003
06-09-2010, 10:05 PM
a few killed kittens

lol
every spacer used in the front a kitten is killed.

lol

i run rears actually once in a while. That would be good for the back if needed but i dont really like the fronts to run them. it makes the turning radius too wide and can mess up the geometry a bit. it is also harder on the bearings and joints all over the machine with spacers on it. steve

a4guy
06-09-2010, 10:10 PM
I hate cats so its fine in that department. What would you say would be the max for the front and for the rear if I decided to go with wheel spacers? And what type should I look into getting? I see the disk type and the bolt extender type.

atv fan 28
06-09-2010, 10:11 PM
PLEASE! do not get the stud extender type!:scary:

a4guy
06-09-2010, 10:13 PM
Yeah those ones seem a bit sketchy. The disk type wheel spacers look to be a much better quality and safer.

flyboy1294
06-09-2010, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by a4guy
Yeah those ones seem a bit sketchy. The disk type wheel spacers look to be a much better quality and safer.

I have ridden 3 bikes with rear (and front) axle spacers. All were +2" on each size. 2 of the 3 had bent axle as a result of the extra stress on the stock axle- it's too much for it to handle in a racing application. If you're going to flat-track it, sure go for it. But assuming you weigh over 175lbs and are going to be jumping at all, save your money. Also, in the front, the spacers change the steering so much that if you turn at almost any speed the bike just keeps pushing forward. PLUS you still have that pogo stick feel that the stock suspension gives you.

You can get a nice set of used arms for under $300 (Heck, you can get a NEW set of Burgard's for $50 more), and you can find a nice used Lonestar or Durablue axle for under $150. Now sand and put a fresh coat of paint on your stock axle and arms. You should get close to $80 for both.

So 150
+300
_______
$370 and peace of mind VS ~$120 for spacers

There is roughly a $250 between getting spacers all around (not counting getting wider rims like someone above stated.) or doing it whole-heartedly and not having to worry about problems in the future. In addition, you wouldn't have to deal with your stock balljoints anymore, and when your aftermarket ones did wear out, you could just get a fresh set of balljoints; no big deal.

It's your bike, not mine, but I was more than happy to pay the difference to do it right. Good luck,

TRXRacer1
06-10-2010, 04:54 AM
I never run spacers but several times I have gained +1 all the way around for a total of +2 with different offset wheels. Never once had a problem. The steering is not effected and I'm in the 250+ lb range and have not bent axles airing it out. Maybe if you got into +2 all the way around on stock you could get into trouble but at +1 you won't experience anything.

honda400ex2003
06-10-2010, 07:15 AM
agreed with trx. i have 1.5 for each side with my g force spindles but i dont think i would just too far with them. 1 would be fine though with some offset rims. my fronts are actually a bit wider because of this. steve

Ryan'07400ex
06-10-2010, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by a4guy
My ball joints are just about wasted and need to be replaced. I was thinking about upgrading to a +2 a arms and going with a wider rear axle. I have found they are way out of budget right now. Any ideas?

Wheels spacers are not going to fix the ball joints...

a4guy
06-10-2010, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by Ryan'07400ex
Wheels spacers are not going to fix the ball joints...

I know that spacers are not going to fix the ball joints. I was just stating that by replacing the ball joints and getting wheel spacers would save on some money. I was asking if it was a good way to go or not. I understand that by spending the extra money would be the wise choice.

flyjum
06-13-2010, 07:13 AM
Do NOT get wheel spacers in the front.

The rear is fine with them.

Wheel spacers in the front with add ALOT of bumpsteer due to the kingpin axis line of sight being pushed way in.

The whole reason to run 4/1 wheels instead of 3/2 is to reduce this to 0.
Wheel spacers add to the to the problem.
You can try this for free by simple flipping you stock wheels so its 2/3 offset(valve stem on inside) and will gain 1 inch per side but you will feel how bad it kicks the bars when you hit a bump.
Same effect as getting 1 inch wheel spacers just FREE.

Full-flight sell arms on ebay for 300$ or so and are fully adjustable. Some people dont like the because they say heims are weak. That is not true offroad trucks use heims for their arms and tie rods all the time.
They work great with 450r shocks and give over 10'' of travel when you get the shocks revalved and bodys moded.

a4guy
06-13-2010, 12:25 PM
Thanks for your input. I will take a look at those a arms.