PDA

View Full Version : diy sleeve?

eotrx400ex
06-09-2010, 07:27 PM
has anyone ever taken out the cylinder sleeve and press in a new one? could it be that hard to do since ther isn't any ports that have to be aligned?

F-16Guy
06-09-2010, 08:18 PM
No, there are no ports to line up on a 4-stroke. Theoretically, you could probably remove an old sleeve and install a new one with the exact same outer diameter, but you would still probably have to surface the top of the cylinder once the new sleeve is in to make 100% sure that the top of the newsleeve is flush with the gasket surface.

The short answer is: No, not unless you have the proper equipment (which you don't if you're asking this question).

eotrx400ex
06-09-2010, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by F-16Guy
No, there are no ports to line up on a 4-stroke. Theoretically, you could probably remove an old sleeve and install a new one with the exact same outer diameter, but you would still probably have to surface the top of the cylinder once the new sleeve is in to make 100% sure that the top of the newsleeve is flush with the gasket surface.

The short answer is: No, not unless you have the proper equipment (which you don't if you're asking this question).
hmm.. LA Sleeve claims that all that needs to be done is " RS- The original barrel has a replacement sleeve. Heat the cylinder to remove the sleeve. Re-heat the cylinder to install the new cylinder sleeve." sooo i'll be finding out as soon as i get it

CJM
06-09-2010, 10:53 PM
If you havent done machine work before like this I suggest you have someone else do it for you. It is very easy to screw up without the proper equipment.

CarGuy7a
06-10-2010, 01:50 AM
I've had a couple motors (not my 400) re sleeved and it does still require machine work.

They heat the cylinder up to remove the old sleeve. To install the sleeve they re heat the cylinder to expand it, as for the sleeve they most likely have it in the freezer to contract it making it easier to install.

Most likely the sleeve's bore will be smaller than whatever piston you are installing and will need to be true bored to ensure it's straight. Even if the bore is close to what piston you will be running it will still require trueing and the deck will need to be trued.

So pretty much if you don't have a machine shop with the proper presses, mills, and bore machine and the knowledge. DON'T DIY.

TRXRacer1
06-10-2010, 04:46 AM
You will need the sleeve bored to the piston you're installing and like mentioned before you are more likely to need the top of the cylinder decked to match the new sleeve up to the surface then not. In no case will you completely avoid a machine shop.

eotrx400ex
06-10-2010, 04:49 PM
damn, if the cyl. is going to need bored any way i pretty much just wasted money buying a sleeve.not to mintion the cost to have pressed out a new one in. maybe i can get a refund or put it on ebay. should've just stuck with my plane to go with +2mm piston an just pay the 80 to have it done:mad: thanks everyone for looking out though

CJM
06-10-2010, 05:37 PM
See if you can return the sleeve or resell it.

Boring it out isnt to costly, bout 100-200 bucks at most. I just did the entire topend and spent about 100 and I sent my cyl to GT Thunder.

If you can do your own work you can save tons of cash. I spent about 500 in parts/machining, which included:
-87mm piston
-cometic gasket kit
-hotcam stage 2
-CRF 450R timing chain
I also replaced the cam chain guides (not to cheap), lapped the valves.

I did the whole job with some help from a friend and some good info from this forum. It was rather easy, but im a mechanic anyways.

If I had to pay to have someone do it, it woulda cost at least a grand.

TRXRacer1
06-10-2010, 07:14 PM
$100 for a bore is outrageous!!! Anything over $60 is a rip.

CJM
06-10-2010, 07:45 PM
I also had HD head studs done while there, think boring was like 75. Was 200 with tax.

Pt's400ex
06-10-2010, 09:26 PM
Yeah I have a local guy that will bore and hone the cylinder for $50 a whole. Even the local Honda shop will do it for $55 so I would check around. Jim

eotrx400ex
06-11-2010, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by TRXRacer1
$100 for a bore is outrageous!!! Anything over $60 is a rip.
i totally agree!

Kentang4
06-11-2010, 07:44 PM
The local machine shop (Kunkles) here in Maryland did a bore and hone for $30. I only went 1mm over but I doubt it would have been much more for 2mm over.

TRXRacer1
06-11-2010, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by Kentang4
The local machine shop (Kunkles) here in Maryland did a bore and hone for $30. I only went 1mm over but I doubt it would have been much more for 2mm over. That's how much my old Harley guy used to charge. Now I pay $60 because I no longer live near the old shop. I'm jealous. :(