PDA

View Full Version : cutting out problem?

codyarthur13
06-09-2010, 12:02 PM
okay so a few months ago my quad randomly cut out once u got over half throttle, but if u put the choke on u could gr full throttle.. so i took the carb off and cleaned it and everything and never had that problem agian untill yesterday, it happened agian so i cleaned the carb and all that and its still doing it, cleaned the intake, the filter everything, went out todau and it wont even start.. so im thinking maybe my plug??

300ridr
06-09-2010, 06:59 PM
either that or maybe your jetting

smr
06-10-2010, 05:45 AM
make sure you are getting fuel. Turn the little drain screw and let it run for about 20 scds. If your getting fuel then pull the plug. If it's firing then I would be willing to bet you knocked the needle loose from the slide. It's a very common problem on the 250x/300ex.

good luck.

codyarthur13
06-10-2010, 08:35 AM
well i know its getting fuel into the carb at least, and when i take the intake off i can see the fuel spray down into the carb

codyarthur13
06-10-2010, 05:42 PM
soo i replace the plug, the old 1 was black as night. fired up first kick and shes runnin like a beauty. does this make any sense as to why it was cutting out durin riding tho?

sm00th026
06-10-2010, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by codyarthur13
soo i replace the plug, the old 1 was black as night. fired up first kick and shes runnin like a beauty. does this make any sense as to why it was cutting out durin riding tho?

The coil maybe getting hot or going bad and miss firing? Ive had one to do that.Mine was running good at first and about 5 to 6 miles away from home my coil would get hot and quit. but I would wait a min. or two for it to cool off then it will crank to go further

codyarthur13
06-13-2010, 03:00 PM
it started doing it agian, i took the carb off cleaned it, cleaned the jets everything it was really bad. i checked the fuel line it was all good the petcock was working i cleaned thenair intake, air filter, everything it still does it if u give it more than half throttle it just dies out. but it will go full out with the choke on. HELP

stuntin andy
06-13-2010, 04:15 PM
it sounds like its not getting enough air... when you put your choke on then your letting more air in so if it is running good then the coke is on adjust your air screw maybe?!?!

codyarthur13
06-13-2010, 07:07 PM
thats wat my buddy said and i know this is gonna sound bad on my part but uhm.. wich 1 is that lol the only thing i could adjust was the iddle

smr
06-14-2010, 08:27 AM
running the choke on does not increase the air, it does just the opposite.

your not getting enough fuel. If it runs fine with the choke on then it's not your needle set. (i'm sure you checked this)

I would be willing to bet it's your pilot jet. Take it out again and let is soak overnight in carb cleaner.

codyarthur13
06-14-2010, 10:24 AM
alright i didn't soak it long before, i just took it out and spray it with the cleaner and cleaned all hte threads and put it back in

smr
06-14-2010, 11:22 AM
hold it up to light and you sould be able to see light through it. If not then it hasn't soaked long enough.

codyarthur13
06-14-2010, 02:01 PM
hmm okay i'll try soaking it longer, but either way.. how do i adjust the air flow?

stuntin andy
06-15-2010, 10:51 AM
smr i thought when u move the choke lever it opens the air flap and lets air in?!?!

smr
06-15-2010, 11:15 AM
Nope..does just to opposite. When the lever is up the butterfly is closed. that allows it to suck more gas.

codyarthur13....The only way I know to increase air flow is with a bigger intake and free flowing filter.....I really don't think that's your problem.

codyarthur13
06-15-2010, 01:07 PM
well now i dont know, smr i did wat u said i even took the main jet aND slow jet out and soaked them really clean, spotless. and put them in and its still doing it.

smr
06-15-2010, 02:09 PM
is it still running fine with the choke on? If so then you have a port in the carb stopped up. They can be a booger to clean.

actually the slow jet is the pilot jet....that is the one I think is your problem. If the main was stopped up running the choke want help it. If the pilot is stopped then it will usually run good with the choke on.

Only other thing could be the needle location...but again, usually choke on or off it want run about idle. If your sure the pilot jet is clean then check your needle location...start in the middle.