PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Computer Guru's! Speakers don't work!

yellowzo3
06-09-2010, 09:33 AM
:mad: :mad: :mad:

Last night my speakers worked fine. :confused: ... I can't get music to play online or from itunes or any other sounds from the computer. The speakers themselves are fine. I tried a spare set of speakers I have and they didn't work either. My headphones DO work though (They plug in to a different port on the front of the computer, not the port the speakers plug into in the back of the computer). I was using my headphones this morning and when I took them out and turned the speakers on, no sound came out of the speakers. This is a desktop I'm talking about btw.

I'm fairly sure my speaker port is broken. But how and why would that just randomly go bad overnight? I didn't do anything to it and I haven't touched it in years :p ...How do I fix this? Thanks and any help is appreciated!

<DRS>GPF
06-09-2010, 11:23 AM
have you tried plugging your speakers into an mp3 or cd player to see if theyll work in something else?

Scottt89
06-09-2010, 11:45 AM
Sound card could have become corrupt. You may want to try reinstalling your sound drivers. Also dbl click the speaker symbol on the System Tools by the clock. Make sure it isn't muted or that one of the sound items isn't disabled.

OutlawBill
06-09-2010, 11:55 AM
1. do headpones still work if they do port ok.
2. do like GPF said check speakers with other device
3 if both work try reloading speaker driver's
4. it his does not work and you know you way a round the inside of a PC clear the Bios.
Just check one thing at a time and replace the broken part or update the drivers.

In Windows right click on my Computer down to manage the open Device manger it will show you what is haveing problems

yellowzo3
06-09-2010, 01:00 PM
Well I have a jack to put my headphones in at the front of my computer and a jack in the back where the speakers go.

The headphone jack in the front works for my headphones so I plugged my speakers in there and they're working fine.

The jack on the back of my computer doesn't work with either set of speakers I tried.

Scott, I checked the speaker icon first and the volume is all the way up. not muted or anything.

Bill, I went to the Device Manager but didn't see anything wrong :confused:

Thanks for the help so far guys!! :cool:

OutlawBill
06-09-2010, 01:39 PM
the pot in the back is it on the system board or a PCI card. If it is on the system board it might be easier to buy a sound card and install it. If PC is still under warranty take it in for repair. hope this helps

yellowzo3
06-09-2010, 05:00 PM
Thanks Bill! I think I'll have to get a sound card. It's not under warranty anymore though :( ...Figures lol... Thanks again!

OutlawBill
06-09-2010, 05:42 PM
Just one dumb ? are you plugging the speaker in to the microphone jack in back?

yellowzo3
06-09-2010, 06:32 PM
Lol no its in the speaker port. The speaker port is color coordinated with the wire for the speakers so it virtually eliminates any possibility of me screwing up :p ...But don't think I didn't check that a couple times! LOL