PDA

View Full Version : rotella T

450r07
06-07-2010, 08:32 PM
just wondering guys i have seen most of you have been running rotella t. Is it really that good or is it just that if you change your oil after every race or after every 6 hours of ride time then it really doesnt matter.

450r07
06-07-2010, 08:39 PM
also i have been running maxima oils but they are kind of expensive. that is why i am wanting to know because i race every weekend and it is getting kind of ecpensive.

J.J.
06-07-2010, 08:40 PM
i use rotella and i change it after every race.. raced a hard race last weekend and got lazy and didnt change it for my practicing riding this weekend.. drained it tonight and it was still clean as could be with about 6 hours on it

fastredrider44
06-07-2010, 11:33 PM
I change mine very frequently, and never have more than 4 hours on the motor side and never more than 6 on the clutch side. Been running Rotella all for the past 7 or 8 races and pretty pleased with it overall.

rt20ps
06-08-2010, 06:48 AM
The clutch side (trans oil) will break down faster than the engine side. I used to change my clutch side every ride and the engine side every other. Rotella is great for both. Not just becasue it's cheap but it protects really well.

Ichoptop
06-08-2010, 07:45 AM
been using Rotella for the last year and it is holding up just as good as the expensive Honda oils.

Ruf Racing
06-08-2010, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by 450r07
just wondering guys i have seen most of you have been running rotella t. Or is it just that if you change your oil after every 6 hours of ride time then it really doesnt matter.

Exactly! Change it often, and you could run almost any oil. :D

450r07
06-08-2010, 10:10 AM
sweet guys i think that is what i am going to do then. it must protect well since that many people are running it and for the money you really cant beat the deal.

fearlessfred
06-08-2010, 10:28 AM
because the rotela is made for diesel apps.it has zinc and other additives that regular motor oil does not have, motorcycle oils do have the additives,so it would be a good choice for a cheaper oil. i am trying there synthetic blend. has anybody else tryed the blend

Dirtjunkie85
06-08-2010, 11:43 AM
I also use Rotella and when i noticed it first in the motor, it looked a lot different that what i was used to so i drained all of it out but come to find out that is what it was suppose to be!

eastside 400
06-08-2010, 03:45 PM
from what ive read, you cant use the synthetic or blend rotella in the clutch side, just a heads up. And this talk about if you change it alot you can run crap oil is a joke. Cheap oils dont work as well as good oils, no matter how often you change it. i use Elf full synthetic and still change every ride. Like said before the clutch side needs to be changed more then engine due to the particles from the plates and the extreme heat generated

fearlessfred
06-08-2010, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by eastside 400
from what ive read, you cant use the synthetic or blend rotella in the clutch side, just a heads up. And this talk about if you change it alot you can run crap oil is a joke. Cheap oils dont work as well as good oils, no matter how often you change it. i use Elf full synthetic and still change every ride. Like said before the clutch side needs to be changed more then engine due to the particles from the plates and the extreme heat generated
thanks for the info . i have allready ran the blend for 3 day week end,and didnt notice any clutch slippage but will change back to the rotella t thank you

fastredrider44
06-08-2010, 09:33 PM
I'm not as worried about the clutch as I am the motor. Clutches get replaced regularly. I don't want to replace cranks and top ends regularly. I would say that it's pretty rare for either side of my motor to go more than 4 hours without changing. Oil is cheap, motors are not.

450r07
06-09-2010, 02:23 PM
i agree that cheap oils are not as good as expensive ones. but i am still looking for a little cheaper alternative to maxima oils. they are not that bad but when you are changing every four hours on a budget they can get expensive. so is the general consensus honda tranny oil? i have read that alot and that is what i am using now but just wanting to be sure

eastside 400
06-09-2010, 06:09 PM
i personally hated the honda tranny oil, i would loose neutral and shifting sucked and my clutch faded, i would use the rotella white bottle 15w40 everyone loves that stuff, its great for auto engines and same with atv

450r07
06-09-2010, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by eastside 400
i personally hated the honda tranny oil, i would loose neutral and shifting sucked and my clutch faded, i would use the rotella white bottle 15w40 everyone loves that stuff, its great for auto engines and same with atv

so should i run it in both sides ya think?

jkiserracing
06-09-2010, 09:05 PM
I actually run the rotella on the clutch side and the maxima on the engine side.

CRE Performance
06-11-2010, 09:17 PM
The Rotella oil is good stuff. It is formulated for diesel engines, so it withstands heat very well. It is also one of the few oils on the parts store or dept store shelfs that dont contain moly. Moly is what gets your clutches worn out and slipping. If you will read the SPI label, it is also MA cerfified for motorcycles using wet clutches.

It doesnt make any power, as a matter of fact, it may make less than some other expensive cycle oils but it holds up well and has a good price on it.

ride red 14
06-16-2010, 04:30 PM
i run the blend(blue jug) on the motor side and the regular(white jug) on the clutch side. been doing this for two years with no problems.

airmobile101
06-16-2010, 05:14 PM
If you question any oil, you can do MSDS on that oil, and it will tell you exactly what it has, does, or can't do. lol

flyjum
06-18-2010, 12:34 AM
It works great just as good as hp4 IMO.

It has alot of anti shear additives in it because diesel engines run at extreme compression ratios(20:1 or even higher).

This is why it works fine in the trans side as well as engine.

Also its NOT a engery conserving oil so it does not have to meet epa guidlines for burnoff and additives(newer rated oils are ment for less emission and more miles per gallons NOT better wear protection).

Its good stuff has alot of cleaning additives as well that will keep your engine clean.

I run it in my hybrid and it has worked great so far. Never had any problems at all.

I change the engine side every 6 hour or so and the trans side 10 hours or so (half if racing).
Its less then 1/3 the cost of the high priced oils yet works as good I think.
There is a guy with over 500 hours on his crf450r on thumpertalk that has ran only rotella non syn the entire time. He has only had to adjust the valves as normal and thats it. He said it has just about the same compression as it did when he bought it and never had any clutch problems.

Also think about this for the money you save on oil over the life of the engine can pay for a rebuild when needed.
Say you get 400 hours out of a engine with good oil and with rotella( just throwing number out there some people have more then this some less). Lets add up the money you can save.

Figuring changing both oils every 5 hours of ride time. Good oil at 10$ per quart with rotella being 3$ (gallon cost 11.50 at walmart) That means 80 oil changes in that time. Taking about 1.5 quarts per oil change(both sides).

That means it will cost you 1200$ or so for the "good oil" verus 360$ worth of rotella. With that 840$ saved that can cover the cost of rebuild and then some(rebuild costs depends on if you do the work or not).
So anyone saying its "cheap insurance" to buy good oil is wrong. In the end all engines will need a rebuild its a matter of how long.