PDA

View Full Version : Help! Transmission Trouble?

KFXFreak
06-07-2010, 07:53 PM
Hey guys, I have a big problem. My wifes 300ex popped the other day and stopped pulling. You can hear it go into all gears but it rolls just like its in neutral. What could have broke exactly? Counter Shaft? This is the worst time for this to happen, So early in the riding season. What should I do?

dman66
06-07-2010, 08:08 PM
And the answer is- - - - Time to split the case!!!!!!!! I have a trans from a 250x if you need for parts. I only needed to take one of the gears from it for my 250x.$ 70.00 plus shipping from zip 19547 Oley, Pa. I also got a descent full gasket set from ebay for like $37.00 plus shipping - If you need that info, I can pull it from my ebay info. Let me know. I'm a wiz at splitting a 250x engine now - Opened her up about 3 times in the last year. Let me know....

KFXFreak
06-07-2010, 09:36 PM
I have most if not all of the trans from a 250X already. It was a 250X roller with a motor in a box, I put a 300ex motor on it. I sold some of the 250X parts but I have most all of the Trans still.

So what is it going to be more than likely?

john300rider
06-08-2010, 07:37 AM
you probably broke off the dogs or ears on one of the gears or you could ave stripped the cluth basket, only true way to know is crack her open

smr
06-08-2010, 11:06 AM
several things could have happen. First...does the nutreal light stay on all the time (or off)? Will it not pull at all in any gear? Have you checked to make sure your clutch is moving? Try reverse. Is the countershaft sprocket spinning on the shaft?

first thing I would check

Counter shaft sprocket...Make sure it isn't spinning on the shaft.

If that's OK then put the quad in gear and see if you can spin the counter shaft...(lift up the back end and turn the rear wheels) If you can turn it over easy and the motor doesn't turn go to the clutch.

Check the little lever the clutch cable conects to. Get you some channel locks and make sure it moves easy(If I had to bet money I would say something is holding your clutch out..IE...bad cable or something broke inside the clutch basket.)

after that I would pull the clutch cover off and take a look inside.

If everthing is ok on that side then I would look at the other side...Make sure the little ears are in place on the shifting drum.

The only thing inside the case that I can think of that would make this happen in all gears in the counter shaft. If it was worn gears it would be spread out over a combination of gears.

keep us updated.

KFXFreak
06-08-2010, 11:47 AM
Everything seemed fine on the Clutch side. I changed the parts out with another Clutch and it still done the same thing. You can put it in any gear and it will roll like its in Neutral. The sprocket is good on the shaft. The whole thing turns freely. You can hear it go into every gear like it should. It just dont make it all the way to the drive sprocket. Something in there is broke.

smr
06-08-2010, 01:56 PM
they way it is set up I honestly can't think of any one thing that could be broke inside the cases that would case this problem.

is the netral and rreverse light working?

KFXFreak
06-08-2010, 10:22 PM
It has neither lights on it.

smr
06-09-2010, 05:42 AM
could you tell if the clutch was moving when you pull the lever in?

KFXFreak
06-09-2010, 11:03 AM
Not sure. I know while in gear and pushing it the clutch does not move.

smr
06-09-2010, 11:39 AM
were in Ky are you located? I just wanted to make sure I wasn't trying to dyagnose a problem and us live 20 miles from each other......:D

Since you have rulled out basicly nothing.....here's where I would start. Set the quad up on a stand. Take the clutch cover off. Pull the lever and make sure the the center is moving in and out. Put the quad in gear and roll over the back tires. Make sure the clutch basket is turning. (if the basket turns and not the center then there's your problem)

If the basket doesn't turn then I would pull the stator cover off and make sure the shifting drum is moving. If the drum is moving then the only thing left is the counter shaft.

KFXFreak
06-09-2010, 08:51 PM
Im about 15 mins south of Somerset Ky. I will check for basket movement. I am almost sure it turns though. I think its a counter shaft. That shaft has some play in and out like it might be broke in half inside. I will keep you posted. So where in Ky are you?

smr
06-10-2010, 05:42 AM
I have never seen a counter shaft break in half...although it could happen.

How much play you got? They will move alittle but not much.

For it not to pull in any gear then it would have to be broke toward the end.

I'm in western Ky just about 20 miles north of Clarkesville, Tn.

KFXFreak
06-10-2010, 11:06 AM
Your still a pretty good haul from me then. I will have some time today so I am going to mess with it some. I will let you know what I find out.

KFXFreak
06-10-2010, 07:19 PM
OMFG! I cant believe this. I thought I would pull the keeper off the front sprocket to check it. Sure enough the center splines were completely gone, It was just a smooth hole. Oh well it has better clutch discs,Plates, and basket now anyhow. I need to pull the cover back off and use some gasket maker on it, It is leaking a little bit. Not enough to drip but still I dont wanna see no oil so its coming back off. Anyhow its all good! Thanks for the info.

dman66
06-11-2010, 03:24 PM
So what was the issue with your quad? Did you split the case?

KFXFreak
06-11-2010, 06:25 PM
The problem is my post just above yours. It was the inside of the Front Sprocket stripped out. Thats what broke.

smr
06-11-2010, 09:27 PM
good deal....glad you figured it out. I was pretty sure you would fix the problem without splitting the cases.

KFXFreak
06-12-2010, 01:33 AM
I was really glad too. I was gonna make it worth while with the motor off, I was gonna do some powder coating. I can put it off till winter now. I plan on doing alot of powder on my V-Force also. I kinda wish my Mojave frame was black also since I have Green plastic. Anyhow the list never ends and the work dont either. Its worth every penny and busted Knuckle though.

QuadOwner
06-22-2010, 07:05 PM
if you can use 300ex gears, they're stronger

KFXFreak
06-22-2010, 11:16 PM
It has 300ex gears. The motor is a 300ex on a 250X frame. It is all fixed now.

QuadOwner
06-25-2010, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by KFXFreak
It has 300ex gears. The motor is a 300ex on a 250X frame. It is all fixed now.

cool i guess i should of read everything:rolleyes: