PDA

View Full Version : trouble keepin the wheelie straight

honda98
06-06-2010, 08:57 PM
hey everybody i got a 05 400ex with an aftermarket pipe and ive just started getting my whellies down pretty good. i pull up easy in second and can get the balence point pretty easy but if i hold it up for a while it pulls hard to the right and i end up runnin out of space and have to drop it i filled the tires up all the way and they got equal pressure. only thing i can think of is maybe im pullin up more with my right arm then my left?? anybody have this happen to them or have any solutions ??

1dirty400ex
06-06-2010, 09:13 PM
are your tires the same size? haha
and did you put slime in your tires, cause lack of rotating when you put the slime in could way one side of the tire down. had that happen to a friend.
but if i had to make a quick fix, i would just start goin left then pop it up. :p

fearlessfred
06-06-2010, 09:13 PM
lower the preasure on the oppisite side that its pulling

rick012889
06-06-2010, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by fearlessfred
lower the preasure on the oppisite side that its pulling

I agree 100% percent, I found a big long how to wheelie forever and it tells you all the tricks, like he said lower the oppisite side a little at a time and get on asphaut if posiable and try it there and keep working with that tire pressure and if you want to ride them forever on wheelies(not for moutain rides lol) lower both tires to where they have a flat spot like in them when u sit on the tail of it ...Not to much thou,you will see what i mean when u try it. That creates a flat spot in your tires in wheelies making your balance speed and distance much better. Let me know how it goes.....ill try find that write up again and send ya the link.Just try not run outta rpms and get to know your power band( theoreticly) in your rpms. Try be easy on letting that front end down or you will be replacin a set of arms lol like i did learing. A six pack rack they call it you can fit a gall of gas or 6 pack cooler and it is great for a wheelie bar for when ya have a mishap haha. You should do well.. Just be carefull RULE OF THUMB dont try sho off in front of your buddys or youll bite the dust lol happens to the best of us. LEt me know how it goes...... Rick

slightlybent47
06-06-2010, 10:37 PM
Start out with the air pressure the same on both sides, then make sure your on flat ground and you are dead center when your in the wheelie passion, any shift too one side or the other will make it walk or drift to that side. This happens when you try to look around the wheels. Then make the air adjustment you need to make it go strait.
If you lower the air pressure in the rear tires you will have more control and when you shift your weight from one side to the other you can kind of steer it to some degree.

honda98
06-07-2010, 01:42 PM
wow thanks everbody ive never posted a question on here but i figured what the heck and i cant believe this many people posted. there isnt any slime in the tires but ill try lowerin the tire pressure im going riding with a couple of my buddies today so ill try those ideas and ill let you know how it worked out. thanks for the tips and advice.

kali250r
06-07-2010, 01:56 PM
http://www.atvriders.com/articles/atvwheelie.html

gtt416ex
06-07-2010, 02:28 PM
they're alot more fun when you learn to go through 2nd-5th gear in a wheelie:cool:

JOHNDOE83
06-07-2010, 03:37 PM
Its even more fun when you can pull it up in 5th....lol

Thumpin440ex
06-07-2010, 06:19 PM
Yep def air pressure.. Once you get good enough when you can ride out 5th gear and keep on rolling the simple turning of the front tires will actually steer you in the air..

John

slightlybent47
06-07-2010, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by Thumpin440ex
Yep def air pressure.. Once you get good enough when you can ride out 5th gear and keep on rolling the simple turning of the front tires will actually steer you in the air..

John

Sorry but turning the front wheel while you doing a wheelie will only steer your imagination, not your bike.

Thumpin440ex
06-07-2010, 07:33 PM
I beg to differ. It most certainly does for me. Maybe Im just special.. And I am not talking, like you can make a left or right hand turn by doing it. But it def will change your direction, not anywhere near when you lean to one side or the other, but def does..

John

honda98
06-07-2010, 07:33 PM
alright everbody i tried the air pressure idea and it worked perfect. all i did was start takin air out of the other tire for like 10 seconds at a time then id try a whellie and every time it got better until i finally got it perfect. if anybody else is havin this problem this is definitly a fast and easy way to fix it. wheelies are alot more fun when you dont drift into the trees everytime u pull the front end up lol. thanks for the advice everybody ill definitly use this forum next time i got a question.

p.s. thanks for tthe link to the wheelie article it had some great tips in there

slightlybent47
06-07-2010, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by Thumpin440ex
I beg to differ. It most certainly does for me. Maybe Im just special.. And I am not talking, like you can make a left or right hand turn by doing it. But it def will change your direction, not anywhere near when you lean to one side or the other, but def does..

John

That’s fine if it works for you then I guess you are special, it doesn’t do anything for me when I turn my wheels while doing a wheelie. I suspect that you are leaning but I could be wrong. Maybe it works for you but it don’t for me. lol:D

slightlybent47
06-07-2010, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by honda98
alright everbody i tried the air pressure idea and it worked perfect. all i did was start takin air out of the other tire for like 10 seconds at a time then id try a whellie and every time it got better until i finally got it perfect. if anybody else is havin this problem this is definitly a fast and easy way to fix it. wheelies are alot more fun when you dont drift into the trees everytime u pull the front end up lol. thanks for the advice everybody ill definitly use this forum next time i got a question.

p.s. thanks for tthe link to the wheelie article it had some great tips in there

Glad to see it is working for you. keep practicing!!!

fearlessfred
06-07-2010, 08:40 PM
in the old three wheeler days ,i used leave one tire low on purpose so i could wheelie my 350xup the steep faces at dumont dunes and .curve around wheelie most of the way back down. i did loose it once and sent the bike down by itself. it sure bent a lot of parts