PDA

View Full Version : honda 300 ex sprockets

dualincome
06-06-2010, 08:36 PM
i need to replace the chain and sprockets on my sons honda 300 ex what front and rear sprocket should he use for mx racing the it has a stage 2 cam, head work and 12/1 piston , + 2 front +3 rear

Gomer11
06-12-2010, 07:10 PM
all depends on personal preference. Rear Tyre size also has a big difference on acceleration vs top end speed. If you run smaller-than-stock rear tyres, your torque/acceleration will rise but your bike wont go as fast as it used to at top speed. If you use a smaller rear sprocket, your top speed will go up. usually 2 teeth less than stock is good. for a 300ex i believe that would be 36T.
front sprockets...never experimented with diff sizes but im pretty sure a bigger-than-stock front sprocket would give you more torque. and smaller than stock would give you more top end.

make sure you compensate with all 3 factors. on a 300ex, if you put 20" tyres on the back, and a 36T sprocket, you might be at about the same ratio as stock. factory gearing is usually very versatile. i would personally recommend stock gearing with 20" rear tyres.

the best way to learn is by experimenting. buy a couple sprockets and chains and find your preference. i ran -2 sprocket rear with 20"s and it was very low end'y

300ridr
06-13-2010, 12:03 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Gomer11
[B]front sprockets...never experimented with diff sizes but im pretty sure a bigger-than-stock front sprocket would give you more torque. and smaller than stock would give you more top end.

i believe thats backwards, smaller=low end and bigger=top end. i went to a 14 tooth up front and i like it. all i have is a pipe and filter, but it goes pretty good. i would definately go with that because its way cheaper than a rear sprocket. then if you like it, you can then mess with your rear. i believe most 300 mx'ers run like 14 front and 36 rear. in my opinion, the rear sprocket is better for fine tuning, mainly because 3 teeth in back = 1 tooth up front.