PDA

View Full Version : Better quality tranny gears?

hwf-racing
06-06-2010, 10:58 AM
Well, The boy don't how to get off the gas when jumping!!! Our Apex has a Wiley- Mod slipper sprocket with only 6 races, looks good. However, we just tore the tranny gears, the large spline with the little spline attach and also the main one that the sprocket bolts on. I had the slipper torque to about 80lbs also checked after every moto! plenty of meat left on the sprocket so is there any maintenence to the wiley- mod? And does any one out there build a stronger tranny gear that I can get before next Saturday. Thanks, Derek

tyler70t
06-07-2010, 11:08 AM
We have our Wiley slipper torqued @ 73 lbs ( no probs), but another person that races locally has theirs torqued @ 64lbs and isn't having any issues either, you may be too tight.

jerkyboy
06-07-2010, 05:19 PM
I think its supposed to be torqued to 75 lbs.

hwf-racing
06-07-2010, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by tyler70t
We have our Wiley slipper torqued @ 73 lbs ( no probs), but another person that races locally has theirs torqued @ 64lbs and isn't having any issues either, you may be too tight. Yeah, I agree I feel it was to tight. After I put in the new tranny gears I will def torque around the 70lb range. Thanks, Derek

markp95
06-08-2010, 07:04 PM
Raced GNCC at Millfield Saturday. Had problems with the CVT. The variator stripped the splines. We have a Wiley Mods slipper sprocket. Checked it and both lugs are starting to crack. We have had bad luck all year. My racer is Colton White. Was leading first lap and chain came off almost to the scoring stand.

raidernut
06-08-2010, 08:53 PM
The cracks are a non issue, it is a very hardened steel, and will crack there in the corners, but i have never seen one break.

bulldogfallon
06-09-2010, 02:08 PM
Installation guideline is 70lbs, unless it is slipping a lot then it recomends going to 80lbs

I bet if you back off on the torque settign you will be fine

Derek--Your boy has really come along nicely...Great job onthe support you give him and the effort he puts in each week.

I remember the mid pack finishes, not he is one step from the podium

Congratulations!!

hwf-racing
06-09-2010, 07:01 PM
Thanks Gary, He is really having fun which is great!!! If it wasn't for the great service from you and Les he would be in a world of trouble. See you Saturday, Derek

raidernut
06-09-2010, 07:02 PM
Be extremely careful on backing off the torque settings, or going by what wiley mods recommend. We have been using them for two years, and anything less than 85 pounds you will have issues. I do mine at 90lbs. We had them come loose more than once when we were obiding by the "guidelines"

wrhracing
06-26-2010, 08:53 AM
You could always change the apex tranny set for the DRX set that has the tall ratio...Then there are fewer teeth on the big gear and more teeth on the smaller gear .. Less leverage.. More surface area (diameter) for the load to be distributed on. Then continue with your slipper protection.

Achange of the rear sprocket would be necessary to compensate for the additional internal gearing but the larger rear sprocket facilatates the chain staying on.