PDA

View Full Version : adjusting the valves

predator0609
06-06-2010, 08:38 AM
I recently bought my 06 pred last fall and now im adjusting the valves the intake side checks out at .006+or- but the exhaust side is .005 according to polaris it sould be .010+or- the shim number thats in the exhaust side is a 130 going online polaris doesnt have shims any smaller

Outlaw6;=-
06-06-2010, 10:54 AM
Hotcams has a kit on ebay for valve shims u could prob send an email to find out the sizes in that kit.

TRXRacer1
06-06-2010, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by predator0609
the intake side checks out at .006+or- but the exhaust side is .005 according to polaris it sould be .010+or- the shim number thats in the exhaust side is a 130 going online polaris doesnt have shims any smaller

No idea what you're talking about with the +or- but if you need a shim that thin I'd be worried about the valve. I've never needed to go that small.

I'm with the other poster too when it comes to shims hotcams is the way to go. I just buy the refill packs, never the whole kit.

dcc1089
06-06-2010, 06:35 PM
When the predator valves require an adjustment, it is USUALLY the intake valves that get tight. If you have an exhaust valve that is getting a bit tight, I would adjust it and check in another few hours. .005 of an adjustment isn't a very large one anyway. There is a chart in the service manual that uses existing shim size and current gap to tell you exactly which shim you need. Also, the YFZ450 uses the same size shim as the pred. (9.48mm). It appears you would need a 122 shim. I bought some individually from the yamaha dealer for less than $5 each.

Yamaha makes shims down to 120, and the Hotcams kit goes down to 120 as well.

MAKE SURE YOUR PREDATOR IS COMPLETELY COOL BEFORE CHECKING CLEARANCE. If it wasn't, your clearance (especially exhaust) will measure smaller than it should.

predator0609
06-06-2010, 09:27 PM
it was totally cool when I checked it, I bought it used so who now what was done before I got it. Is it normal for shims to go that small or are valves screwed?

dcc1089
06-06-2010, 09:36 PM
If it was your intake valves that got that tight, I would say that is a common issue with the Predator and you should replace them. Since it is your exhause side, I have yet to see exhaust valves wear hardly at all. If it was my machine, I would shim them into proper spec and check again in 10 to 20 hours. If the adjustment gets tight again, replace the valves and lap the seats.