PDA

View Full Version : What to inspect before buying a 250R?

Punkmaster Flex
06-06-2010, 06:24 AM
Hi,

I spotted a 87 a couple of months ago for 4500$ (I live in Canada and 4.5k is pretty good for those Rs) it has a Lonestar / Elka LT front end, a full FMF exhaust, a stock compression, stock bore Wiseco piston and the usual racing goodies (Bumpers, nerfs, killswitch etc etc).

The quad looks pretty clean. So yah it was for sale for 4500$ two months ago but some guy was quickier than me and bought it. Now it's back for sale at only 3700$, which is pretty much a killer deal. The owner races motocross and bought the 250R to start racing quads but he doesnt have enough time so he'll selling it.

I know the frame is 23 years old so I gotta look at cracks and things like that, but is there anything else to look for when buying a 250R?

I know the shifter's oil seal is due (not a big job) and it comes with a rear brake but it's not installed, apart from that the quad seems A1.

Thanks for your help! :)

wild250rman
06-06-2010, 06:44 AM
Is that the real reason he is selling or is he trying to pass of a lemon. check compression,shocks, bushings, swing-arm for cracks, clutches, ride it if he will let you, check for any welds on the cases, see if case saver is good or been broken off, motor mounts and the list goes on. good luck.

Punkmaster Flex
06-06-2010, 06:57 AM
This is exactly what I am thinking, and that's why I want to inspect is thoroughly. To be honest I dont really care about how good or bad is the motor because a rebuild wouldn't be too expensive. What worries me is more the frame, suspension and things like that. How much could a compression tool cost me? And what is a reasonable compression for a stock 2R motor?

Punkmaster Flex
06-06-2010, 07:04 AM
Here's a pic of the quad in question, pretty good looking if you ask me. :)

http://i889.photobucket.com/albums/ac100/marchondaracing/IMG_0188.jpg

250rPRIDE
06-06-2010, 07:28 AM
you can find nice clean tight, stock framed 250r's down in the us for the 2000-3000 price range all day long, sometimes for less. i would save around 12-1500 and make a trip down here, thats a nice bike but it looks like a 2300 machine to me, i am not sure what it would take to get it across the border and everything but you'll have to check into that. look in mi ny pa etc... thats not to far of a trip.. goodluck

Punkmaster Flex
06-06-2010, 07:37 AM
I know what you mean, but the reality is 250Rs are very, very rare over here. A stock 86 with the original bald tires and rusted pipe will go for 3000$ !!!

If we were in the States, it's like I was offering you this quad for 1800$. Would you say it's a deal then?

The prices between Canada and US are so different it's not even funny, but at 3700$ that thing is cheap, real cheap for us Canukistans. :)

250rPRIDE
06-06-2010, 07:59 AM
oh yeah but the exchange on the dollar is about equal right now, so why wouldnt you make the drive to save well over 1000+++
i work at a oil plant and deal with canadian truck drivers everyday, i know a few of them very well, and they find deals down in the states all the time and they will drive down and get it, they have bought snowmobiles atvs trailors many tractors etc...
so thats what i am saying why not find a deal and make the trip if the 250r's are over priced in your region??????

dlunn
06-06-2010, 10:20 AM
You can make the drive to the states but can also spend allot of time looking at junk. I've put on a couple thousand miles going to Michigan and Ohio to look at quads that aren't what they appear to be. Pictures can hide many things. I still haven't found anything yet but will continue searching, it may just take a little time. 250R's in Ontario are way over priced as well.

tritty_wall
06-06-2010, 07:18 PM
I'm in Canada and bought a R from the US 2 years ago when the Dollar was high. There in much better shape and go for so much less, all you have to pay is sales tax when crossing the border (not a big deal cuz you have to do that when you buy in canada). You have to find a really good seller, I didn't see mine but the seller took tons of pictures and sent me 3 videos of it running and him driving it, we talk many times over the phone about it. I'm sure there are guys on here that know some for sale and might even know the quad. I would say if your willing to pay $3500-4500 for one, get it from the US with all the goodies you want, because when you start buy all you race parts from the US that can get pricey. -Just my 2 cents-

Punkmaster Flex
06-06-2010, 08:12 PM
Well I looked at it, and it seems that insuring those suckers is a pain in the *** in Quebec. I'll try to find a compagny that can insure a 23 years old modded quad then start looking for one I guess... :/