PDA

View Full Version : How the hell do i get the god forsaken axle off.

92 250x
06-05-2010, 08:48 PM
Right. Got the 2 bolts on the brake hub side off but it seems the thread needs to come off? I took the c clip off before the nuts also. Let me know as i got a guy who needs it bad and is waiting on me.

dman66
06-06-2010, 05:34 AM
Not sure what your looking for. Remove wheel hubs by removing single nut holding them on to axle-also remove cotter pin on each nut,remove chain,remove brake caliper bolts, remove caliper, adjust the two axle nuts inward towards the brake caliper - "reverse threads on axle nuts" until you can remove the C clip on axle under the axle nuts, then remove the rotor from axle, then pull axle out I believe.I think thats it, let me know.

92 250x
06-06-2010, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by dman66
Not sure what your looking for. Remove wheel hubs by removing single nut holding them on to axle-also remove cotter pin on each nut,remove chain,remove brake caliper bolts, remove caliper, adjust the two axle nuts inward towards the brake caliper - "reverse threads on axle nuts" until you can remove the C clip on axle under the axle nuts, then remove the rotor from axle, then pull axle out I believe.I think thats it, let me know.

Wheel hubs are off. Brake caliper is off. Chain is off. Turned the 2 big bolts in to get c clip off. There just like the thread part seems like it comes off?

fearlessfred
06-06-2010, 12:03 PM
if the c clip is off you are home free.the threaded collar and nut should slide off. if not put a2 x 4 against the end of the axle and tap with big hammer. once the threaded collar is past were the c clip was it should slide off,and then the rotor

92 250x
06-06-2010, 02:52 PM
Axles off and out same with carrier. Now i cant get my swingarm bolt out.

fearlessfred
06-06-2010, 03:54 PM
some kind of penatrating oil and a big hammer,or i use air chisal .that has worked the best for me. beat out then in,repeating and sraying lube. good luck

dman66
06-07-2010, 08:16 PM
Hey, make sure you unhook the rear brake master from the rear brake arm, and unhook the rear brake foot lever return spring. I just had mine apart tonight to install a chain guide on swinger. Good luck.

92 250x
06-07-2010, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by dman66
Hey, make sure you unhook the rear brake master from the rear brake arm, and unhook the rear brake foot lever return spring. I just had mine apart tonight to install a chain guide on swinger. Good luck.

Already off. The swinger and bolt moves free but is like stuck in there. Im not up for cutting my old swingarm up and **** to get a bolt out.

john300rider
06-08-2010, 07:39 AM
use lots of leverage and heat works every time for me

dman66
06-08-2010, 02:55 PM
Once you do get it out and put new bearings/new thru bolt in, I usew white or blue lithium bearing grease and moderately grease all parts including the thru bolt. works like a charm.

dman66
06-08-2010, 03:38 PM
I usually put the nut on the threaded end a little, then tap out bolt with a hammer on the nut side. BUT, I would not recommend this if you are beatin the snot out of the thru bolt. The nut may get stuck on the bolt if your really knocking on it. The nut on mine is holow, so you could try propane torch from there,let it cool for a minute, then beat on the bolt again? This works for me at work on dissimular metals all the time - usually better than rust buster. Plan on a new bolt and nut!

dman66
06-08-2010, 03:41 PM
Were's the pics of this quad?