PDA

View Full Version : Atlantis last flight

One_Bad_400
06-05-2010, 12:58 PM
i dont keep up with space much. but i saw that Atlantis' last flight was a few weeks ago. whats next? why did they retire that ship? what ship is next? just curious if ya'll knew anything

yellowzo3
06-05-2010, 01:33 PM
Atlantis has been around for 25 years and has served many missions.

The other space shuttles, Discovery and Endeavour, will join Atlantis in retirement in November. The two remaining shuttles have one mission each before they retire. Discovery will launch for the final time in September to deliver a storage device to the International Space Station and Endeavour will launch in November to deliver an experiment to the Space Station. However, Atlantis will be "on call" and ready to launch into space incase of an emergency.

After this the U.S. will rely on Russia to bring Americans to space. Obama cancelled one of NASA's programs (Program name is Constellation) but reinstated most of it. The program is now concentrating on unmanned missions instead of their original plan to develop new shuttles which would have carried people. Obama wants to focus on commercial spacecraft instead. This is completely stupid imo since NASA develops so many things we use in the military and probably countless other things we use to keep this country safe today. Our space program is insane and they do some great things. Canceling some of the programs they had in mind is only hurting us in the long run.

Anyway, I believe a private company just successfully launched a rocket capable of carrying cargo to space. I think they were successful on the first try, and from what I read that is very rare.

quad2xtreme
06-05-2010, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by yellowzo3
Atlantis has been around for 25 years and has served many missions.

The other space shuttles, Discovery and Endeavour, will join Atlantis in retirement in November. The two remaining shuttles have one mission each before they retire. Discovery will launch for the final time in September to deliver a storage device to the International Space Station and Endeavour will launch in November to deliver an experiment to the Space Station. However, Atlantis will be "on call" and ready to launch into space incase of an emergency.

After this the U.S. will rely on Russia to bring Americans to space. Obama cancelled one of NASA's programs (Program name is Constellation) but reinstated most of it. The program is now concentrating on unmanned missions instead of their original plan to develop new shuttles which would have carried people. Obama wants to focus on commercial spacecraft instead. This is completely stupid imo since NASA develops so many things we use in the military and probably countless other things we use to keep this country safe today. Our space program is insane and they do some great things. Canceling some of the programs they had in mind is only hurting us in the long run.

Anyway, I believe a private company just successfully launched a rocket capable of carrying cargo to space. I think they were successful on the first try, and from what I read that is very rare. Nothing is permanent...this will be a 4 year delay at most...

yellowzo3
06-05-2010, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by quad2xtreme
Nothing is permanent...this will be a 4 year delay at most...

what do you mean?

quad2xtreme
06-05-2010, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by yellowzo3
what do you mean?

Obama in and out in 4 years...guessing next President will resume the investment in NASA programs.

yellowzo3
06-05-2010, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by quad2xtreme
Obama in and out in 4 years...guessing next President will resume the investment in NASA programs.

Ohh I gotcha :p ...Hopefully you're right! It's a shame to see some of their ideas get put on the shelf :(

John Noftsinger
06-09-2010, 10:16 PM
You wait till the next space shuttle is show for first time that thing is BAD ! so fast /radar resistant the only way they were able to see it was on a weather dopler by accident it use,s a new pulse nuclear motor from what Ive heard the scientists say about it shaped like a streched triangle and looks to have no windows. They,re using it now to spy on other countries.From what I seen and heard about it.

One_Bad_400
06-10-2010, 11:19 AM
what ever your on.... get me some! lol j/k..

lets just hope the other contries arent checking to see if its going to rain